Anyone scared of the characters?

Helyna Huft

Earning My Ears
I am going on my first DCL cruise on the Dream in March and I am scared of the characters. We are a family of 4 (DH, DS5, DD2 and me)... Should I be looking over my shoulder all the time to make sure I avoid characters or do they mostly stay in the designated areas as shown on the Navigator? I did read the thread on here with random encounters with characters onboard and I'm a little more terrified now 🙈🤪

I am looking for honest answers, and don't want to get bashed for taking a DCL cruise if I'm that scared. I am doing it for my kids and I'll figure it out. I would just like to know if anyone has been in the same boat as me and any advise people may have to help me navigate my week on the ship. I have been trying to get over my fears and can now be in a pic with them if people are standing between us, just won't get too close or touch them. Thanks in an advance!

I am going on my first DCL cruise on the Dream in March and I am scared of the characters. We are a family of 4 (DH, DS5, DD2 and me)... Should I be looking over my shoulder all the time to make sure I avoid characters or do they mostly stay in the designated areas as shown on the Navigator? I did read the thread on here with random encounters with characters onboard and I'm a little more terrified now 🙈🤪

I am looking for honest answers, and don't want to get bashed for taking a DCL cruise if I'm that scared. I am doing it for my kids and I'll figure it out. I would just like to know if anyone has been in the same boat as me and any advise people may have to help me navigate my week on the ship. I have been trying to get over my fears and can now be in a pic with them if people are standing between us, just won't get too close or touch them. Thanks in an advance!
Generally, the characters will be in specified spots onboard for meet & greets. That said, they do have to walk through the ship to get to those spots. It's quite likely you could see a character just walking by. Or not.

I'm sorry you have this issue. The characters know to not force scared children into close contact, I'm not sure if they're as quick to pick up on adults who don't want the contact, though.

Just be aware when you're walking about the ship to look further ahead of you than you usually do. You can see if a character is approaching, and either head off in a different direction, or turn around.

Captain Hook came up behind my wife and tapped her on the shoulder with his hook. She turned around and jumped about a foot in the air. Normally she is not afraid of the characters, but that bad guy got her. It might help you folks if you find out where the characters come out, near Shutters on most ships, to go to their meet and greets and avoid that area. Perhaps a cast member can help you on the first day. The critters don't bite or do anything to hurt you, but their oversized heads (princesses excluded) can be intimidating.

There is a door, I think in the Shutters area on Magic and Wonder where characters come and go from backstage. Almost every time we’re in that area suddenly there will be a character there. So if there is a similar area on the Dream I would steer clear or at least stay away from that door! Other than that I don’t think I’ve seen many characters in unexpected places.

I would never bash someone for being afraid of characters but still going on a Disney cruise...I went to Alaska and I’m terrified of bears. :rotfl:

Captain Hook came up behind my wife and tapped her on the shoulder with his hook. She turned around and jumped about a foot in the air. Normally she is not afraid of the characters, but that bad guy got her. It might help you folks if you find out where the characters come out, near Shutters on most ships, to go to their meet and greets and avoid that area. Perhaps a cast member can help you on the first day. The critters don't bite or do anything to hurt you, but their oversized heads (princesses excluded) can be intimidating.
Oh wow!! That's definitely what I'm afraid of, the unaware of where they are and that happen. I am generally ok watching and seeing from a safe distance.

I always tell myself that they won't hurt me or anything, but it must just be the big heads. It's been like this since I was very young and I've never been able to get over it. I've tried so hard and know it'd be so much easier if I was over it.

On the Dream a couple of weeks ago, there was one morning Goofy was wandering the halls in his pjs sleepwalking.

I think I heard someone say that another day he was out running on Deck 4, but I did not see that myself. I did see him sleepwalking.

On Dream, the characters tend to walk around the ship to get to the photo spots, at least a lot more than on the classics. We never found the door where they come out from on the big ships, maybe because there are multiple ones. On the classics, the door near Shutters is a good spot to hang out to have some candid photo ops and interactions without having to wait in line. They never have to go far from there to get to the photo spots.

If I were you, I’d sit in public spaces with my back to the wall. Many times, characters have come from behind to startle my wife and kid, both in the atrium and on the pool deck. My kid being a big Stitch fan, I think he remembers him from the meets because he’s jumping on him from behind at least once a cruise.

1) a while back during MNSSHP, I was at the hub getting Dr Facilier's picture /autograph when i thanked him, pivoted and walked a few steps when I heard him say,

"I'll be seeing you" ....

I whirled around to see him leaning on his walking stick and pointing his finger at me......

I whirled back, walked a few steps and then I got this sudden chill up and down my spine and I froze.:eek:

Took me about 30 seconds to realize where I was ....
turned around, looked him right in the eye, pointed my finder at him and said, "Possibly in 70 years" :stir:

2)
....and so a few years ago on the Wonder, Im rounding a corner somewhere near Shutters when all of a sudden, my arm gets grabbed and i get whirled around......

I had lots to do that am and was in NO MOOD to deal with ANYONE -:upsidedow
so I was already prepared to cuss out whoever the Child of Grace was who did that to me when I looked up and was looking right into the face of.......

Wendy Darling:blush:

Dang near freaked me out !

just goes to show ya, ya never know when the characters will enter your life while on a DCL adventure -

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:boat:

Attachments

• 1564829237918.png
    1564829237918.png
    294.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Maybe it would be a good idea to let your head server know, too? I don’t know about restaurants on the dream but on the magic in Rapunzel’s we had lots of characters coming up to us and joking around with us, etc. a head’s up to someone who can let the characters know might help?

Maybe it would be a good idea to let your head server know, too? I don’t know about restaurants on the dream but on the magic in Rapunzel’s we had lots of characters coming up to us and joking around with us, etc. a head’s up to someone who can let the characters know might help?
There are no characters in the MDR on Dream.

I think the issue for the OP is with fur characters, not with face characters, so then it would only be Sorcerer Mickey at the end of dinner in Animators Palate? But he doesn't meet, just dances and walks by.

Thanks everyone! Seems like it's pretty random as far as when and where you may see characters. I'll talk to someone at guest services when I board the ship and just keep my back to a wall if I can. If I do get surprised... Well I just may be a YouTube sensation if someone catches it on camera 😂

I think the issue will be that you have small kids. Characters wandering around have been known to come up to the little ones. Would that scare you? What about your kids? Are they wanting to meet Mickey or are scared, too? Also, if your kids want to meet Mickey, are you okay with that? Can you handle it? It's something to give some thought to, anyway.

I've encountered Chip and Dale, especially around and above the pool area spontaneously.

Since you stated you you have been trying to get over your fear and could stand in a photo with someone in between, this may be an opportunity cruise. Remember, they are just humans, in an outfit, doing their job. Like doctors, in surgical outfits, doing their job. Firefighters, in full mask, air tanks, and protective gear, in their outfit doing their job. Step back and analyze the situation: just a human, in an outfit, doing their job.

You can do this.

I was frightened of characters into my twenties. I love them now but was terrified of them in my teens and tormented by one mascot who thought it was hilarious my sister and I were afraid of him. Baloo once startled my sister at WDW when he came up behind her and put a hand on her shoulder. When he felt her tense under the paw he gave a bit of a pat and then backed off in a “sorry to have startled you way” the characters are good at reading cues as many children are afraid of them and I think if they see you are hesitant they will back off.

I was frightened of characters into my twenties. I love them now but was terrified of them in my teens and tormented by one mascot who thought it was hilarious my sister and I were afraid of him. Baloo once startled my sister at WDW when he came up behind her and put a hand on her shoulder. When he felt her tense under the paw he gave a bit of a pat and then backed off in a “sorry to have startled you way” the characters are good at reading cues as many children are afraid of them and I think if they see you are hesitant they will back off.
Can I ask how you were able to get over your fears? Any tips?

I also had a time where Minnie came up behind me and rubbed my face at a character dinner. There was a shift change and I guess they didn't communicate with each other that I was scared, so Minnie was unaware. After that, they switched us to a booth table 😆

Can I ask how you were able to get over your fears? Any tips?

I also had a time where Minnie came up behind me and rubbed my face at a character dinner. There was a shift change and I guess they didn't communicate with each other that I was scared, so Minnie was unaware. After that, they switched us to a booth table 😆
I’m really not sure what worked. We went to breakfast at Garden Grove at the Swan (which is a very low key character breakfast on weekends) without realizing there were characters (we were staying at the Swan) and Donald was walking around. It was mostly uninterested adults there and Donald tripped over another diner’s foot. He shook his finger at the gentleman and that just struck me as funny. Suddenly the characters were fun instead of scary.

For the Dream, some things that may help:

- use the paper Navigator and the DCL app to discover where the scheduled character meet and greets are. You can then decide if you want to avoid them or not, but at least you'll know that at 3 o'clock on the deck 4 balcony of the atrium Minnie Mouse will be having a character meet. Keep in mind they will have to walk to/from the meet location. The nice thing with the app is you can see the character M&G for the entire cruise. You can also find specific characters if there is one you WANT to visit. Do check each day though because sometimes they add extra M&G slots. Also, if you wanted to, you could set them all as favourites and have the app warn you in advance of a M&G.

- most of the scheduled meet and greets take place in the atrium area of deck 3 and 4, and then some other areas on deck 3 - there is a vestibule and some background areas on the perimeter of the atrium that they will use. Also, at the other end of the shopping area there is an open area that they will use. As you can see from the clip below there may be other locations on the ship that have scheduled M&G times, too.

- on deck 4 there is an outdoor promenade that circles the ship. This is a great place to take a nice walk because it is sheltered - covered by an overhang of the deck above and the lifeboats. Makes for some nice pictures too. They have really nice padded lounge chairs set up at intervals along the deck. This is one of my family's favourite places to just sit and relax and read a book or for my sister do some hand quilting. We spend a lot of time here and I highly recommend it if quietly relaxing in the shade while watching the ocean go by appeals to you. HOWEVER, the characters also use this as a pathway to get from point A to B. Often they are walking quickly and while they may wave as they walk past are not stopping and greeting. Occasionally they will do a brief stop and greet, but it would be easy to shake your head no if they came close and wave them off. In our experience they haven't really disturbed people who are clearly lounging on the loungers. They are more likely to greet people who come up to them or who are playing shuffleboard. We have seen a couple briefly join into a game of shuffleboard. So if you are ok with a character making their way from A to B and thus being present but at a distance and not interacting with you, then you should be ok. If not, be forewarned. Note that the loungers are perpendicular to the deck -- head is against the wall and foot is out toward the ocean, and the walking path is wide. See pic below.

- inside on deck 4 [think of it as the first balcony level of the atrium] there is some nice seating on one of the sides. I've put two pictures of it below, one taken from below, the other showing it directly. These couches are really nice to relax in. I've even fallen asleep in them before :-) For the M&G that take place on this level at the ends of the "balcony", the guests will line up along the railing waiting for their turn. The seating is thus a great place to wait for a family member who wants to do the M&G but you either don't want to [you can still see your family member] or if you can't handle standing in line [so family stands in line and you join them when you get close to the start]. The characters will also walk past on the carpet pathway you can see in the second photo as they move from point A to B. But usually they are really moving and not stopping for greeting as they do that. If you are sitting in by the wall you won't have any interaction with them. Did I mention the sofas are really comfy ??

- we have seen sleepwalking goofy walking the stateroom decks

Finally, have you considered counseling ? A good counselor may be able to provide you with some tips and strategies you haven't thought of that may help you outright overcome or if not, better manage/cope with, your fear. It sounds like you have already made some good progress !

SW

The Disney Cruise Line Blog fan site has copies of previous navigators available; you could browse those to get an idea of M&G locations: https://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

Here is an example of the character appearances listing from the first day from one of those Navigators for a recent sailing of the Dream:

Deck 4 promenade; sorry it is at night and was raining so the loungers are put up, but you can see where they are and the wide walking space available.

Deck 4 indoor seating from below and direct

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter