• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone started Christmas shopping yet? What, Where and for who?

I had the same thing happen when I wanted to buy some Nerf items for my nephews last week. I saw them in the store but was unsure, decided to buy online, and was told they were not avail within 100 miles. I had to go back to the store which matched the online price. I don't understand the issue. You might try and call or just have to go into a store.

I also just picked up 2 roku 3 online with an early blk fri best buy sale, 50 instead of 90. Also the target early blk fri items-got Xbox one game-Titanfall 2 for DS for 35 instead of 60.

I had the same thing happen when I wanted to buy some Nerf items for my nephews last week. I saw them in the store but was unsure, decided to buy online, and was told they were not avail within 100 miles. I had to go back to the store which matched the online price. I don't understand the issue. You might try and call or just have to go into a store.

I also just picked up 2 roku 3 online with an early blk fri best buy sale, 50 instead of 90. Also the target early blk fri items-got Xbox one game-Titanfall 2 for DS for 35 instead of 60.

Target has a terrible e-commerce site. Last year they had so many issue on and leading up to Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I was hoping they would fix it this year, but the reports here are not making that sound very hopeful.

I tried to order the Beats headphones online and it says shipping not available :( My DS wants these more than anything! All of the stores within 100 miles of me are out of stock. Anyone able to help?
These are still available to ship, Not sure if its the color you want or not but what I would do is order them, and then take them to the store and exchange them for the color you want. Should be an even exchange, just switching out color. I did this last year when they had them on sale. Hope this helps
http://www.target.com/p/-/A-17215349

Most of my shopping is done and the only ones left are those that are difficult to buy for. My 7-year-old daughter is all about American Girl and Bitty Baby dolls this year so I took advantage of the 20% $100 order coupon that came in one of the AG magazines. I was able to get a Bitty Baby plus accessories, a Truly Me doll, and matching big kid and doll pajamas for around $300. I had a lot of Kmart rewards so I used those to my advantage as well and was even able to get one of the covetable Hatchimals. Diapers.com was having a sale where if you bought 4 items you got 20% off so I got her the Playmobil Malibu Mansion and three room sets. She also wanted these things called Squishes so I ordered a 10 pack on Amazon for $8. She's done except for some small stocking stuffers.

First gift bought and received! For my former ILs, the kids grandparents, who are really hard to buy for. For them I ordered this clock from National Geographic.
https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/home/home-décor/home-accents/national-geographic---my-town---map-clock
You provide an address and Nat. Geo. uses an ariel view, mapping about 9 miles around the specified address. I used my ILs cottage on a lake.
This turned out better than I expected, it looks great. This is one of those gifts for the "people who have everything."

ETA: It was reported that my link is not working but it is working for me. Even so, googling National Geographic Map Clock will get you to the gift I bought.

Last edited:
@moniqueand2 your gift sounds awesome but the link doesn't work, could you repost it?

I need to really get a move on. I haven't started shopping yet. I hate having to buy gifts for people at a specific time, I'd rather give them presents whenever I feel like something would make them happy. Oh well.

Boyfriend - It was supposed to be Phantom of the Opera tickets but the theatre's closed due to a fire (thankfully nobody was injured or worse) so all musicals are on hold right now. I'm thinking about giving him an IOU for that because I still think it's the best gift, but I still want to give him something on the day. Something small but useful like hand cream and shaving cream. He uses those but won't buy anything fancy for himself.
Best friend 1 & 2 - they're similar enough that I usually end up giving them the same thing. This year it'll be a cocooning basket - hand or foot cream, plush socks and a hot chocolate mix.
Friends I'm seeing on NYE - they're huge cinema lovers, so movie tickets, and I'll be bringing a bottle of rose wine to the party.
Secret Santas - I have two. I picked a colleague I don't know for my work's SS and my boyfriend's best friend's girlfriend whom I've seen twice in my life. Needless to say I have no idea what would make them happy, so I'm buying them scratchcards.

My mother wants a phone call (we live on opposite sides of the world so Christmas is a non-event for us) but I'll send her a card as well, I know she really enjoys receiving those. I'll send one to my grandmother too. If I want to go the extra mile, I'll send them a nice framed recent picture of myself. It sounds super vain but being so far apart I know they'll really enjoy that (just like I would any photo of them).

Last edited:
Was at Walmart today getting a tie for my son. I found a clearance rack and most everything was cheaper than the mark down. I found for him a Wilson leather wallet marked down to 11 rang up 7 and 2 pair of Hanes sleep shorts marked down to 7 rang up 3 - 2 more stocking stuffers.

Last edited:

First gift bought and received! For my former ILs, the kids grandparents, who are really hard to buy for. For them I ordered this clock from National Geographic.
https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/home/home-décor/home-accents/national-geographic---my-town---map-clock
You provide an address and Nat. Geo. uses an ariel view, mapping about 9 miles around the specified address. I used my ILs cottage on a lake.
This turned out better than I expected, it looks great. This is one of those gifts for the "people who have everything."

ETA: It was reported that my link is not working but it is working for me. Even so, googling National Geographic Map Clock will get you to the gift I bought.

Thank you for posting that site. I found a world push pin map that you can mark your travels on. Our oldest DD is going to do a semester at sea her junior year of college and will be visiting many places. This will be a great gift for her to hang on her wall and see clearly where she will be going!

One week until Thanksgiving and I'm pretty much done! I'm leaving my one ds's big gift and my FIL up to my dh and I'm sure he'll wait until Dec. 24th to shop for that stuff.
I just have to get some stocking stuffers and gift cards and I can do that in the beginning of next week.
The one thing I have to try to get my ds the Jordans he wants, they come out on the 28th. If they sell out fast I am ordering some custom sneakers from Nike. I'm secretly hoping the Jordans sell out fast because the custom ones are cheaper and my Tops market has a deal where if you spend $50 in groceries you can get $10 off a $50 GC and Nike is included. I already can get 3 which will cover those plus some.

I picked up my First gifts this week... for my dad, who's Up north.
I always include a stack of Summer clothing items for next season/travel/cruising.
Lucky for me ( in ☀️Fla ) it's Great Deals on Summer/fishing items
Now to get some "other" item.. hmmm, thinking on that one.
One Almost done :)

I only have a few things left. Two gift cards for my parents, one for the bus driver and teacher and one gift for ds8.

Woohoo!

We get our end of year bonuses on 12/14, so I usually put in a gigantic amazon order on the 15th or the 16th, but I only have DD and DH to buy for. Although we're considering getting tickets to see Hamilton in Chicago for DD and I as Christmas gifts, so amazon won't be delivering that. :)

Big family gifts - PS4 with extra remote and 2 games (airline miles) and Laptop (BF deal - I upgraded my laptop this week, and we will pass my old one down, after a cleaning and data scrub, just like new) are both done (we have 4 kids, but 2 big gifts will be more than enough). I have spent the last month picking up smaller presents for my family, and really only have to shop "great deals", get pajamas, and find a computer chair/table or cart (gonna look for used ones) to set up for my basement kid room (where the laptop will reside). All nieces/nephews done and shipped, and one set of parents also done - just need to buy for my mom, separate from my family. Earliest I feel like I could stop if I wanta...although even my spouse said, "well, if it's a GREAT deal, we have winter birthdays, so pick it up." Thus, that's my Black Friday plan:)...

My boys are still obsessed with Cars play sets. I found 2 not found in store sets for less than $15 on Amazon. I might either add a couple of Cars to it or maybe a Super Mario Plush. This Santa is getting off cheap this year!

I've never heard of this, but sounds like something DS would like. Is it appropriate for a 14 year old boy?

Now he would most likely enjoy it... but it does have a lot of adult content... So for me personally I would say no. Also would he want to try some of the crazy stuff they do...which teens tend to want to mimic silly stuff then end up in trouble...

We'll be spending Christmas in Punta Cana, flying out on Christmas Eve, so that will be the main present. DS9 has already received the only item on his list, the Lego Death Star so I keep asking him to make a small list. The only thing he can think of is the new Skylanders game since he has completed the previous versions.

We came just came back in October from there had a great time...Great present... have fun...

We get our end of year bonuses on 12/14, so I usually put in a gigantic amazon order on the 15th or the 16th, but I only have DD and DH to buy for. Although we're considering getting tickets to see Hamilton in Chicago for DD and I as Christmas gifts, so amazon won't be delivering that. :)

On Hamilton... I know its the hottest of hot shows right now... But some friends saw it earlier this year in NYC and they thought it wasn't all they hoped for and could have seen something else for the ticket price, They are all about the theater... type people and very engaged in all the Arts, ballet, symphony, museums ... So they are our go to when we head for NYC for what we should see. Just thought I would throw this out there... If you do go will you please do a review... I would like to get another opinion, so when we head back to NYC in the spring we might try to see it.

I usually don't start until mid December but this year I did
I bought..
Godchild- secret life of pets walking dog
daughter- new fitbit with bigger screen and clock etc, black erase board with colored markers
hubby- battery chargers for his drills

I still have more to buy my daughter , hubby a few more things and his side of the family

On Hamilton... I know its the hottest of hot shows right now... But some friends saw it earlier this year in NYC and they thought it wasn't all they hoped for and could have seen something else for the ticket price, They are all about the theater... type people and very engaged in all the Arts, ballet, symphony, museums ... So they are our go to when we head for NYC for what we should see. Just thought I would throw this out there... If you do go will you please do a review... I would like to get another opinion, so when we head back to NYC in the spring we might try to see it.

Friends of ours won the NYC Ham for Ham tickets last summer (and thus had front row seats for $10) and were entranced. DD and I have been basically listening to the soundtrack non-stop for over a year. I do not expect to be disappointed. I will happily post a review but we're looking at tickets for next July, so it'll be a while. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter