Anyone stay at Universal Studios Hotels??

Wintertime

Earning My Ears
We are staying at WDW for a week and then doing a three day cruise on the Wonder.
After that we have 2 days and one night before time to leave. I currently have this
last night booked at WL but was thinking about switching it to one of the Hotels
at Universal Studios, maybe Hard Rock Hotel. How is this hotel or maybe the Portofino
Bay Hotel, is it worth it to stay on site?

Are there any deals like codes on Universal Hotels, or do you just pay posted rates.
Right now they are posting about $250.00 per night at the Hard Rock for October.
What do you think?? My rate at WL is $230.00 per night but then I would have the
taxie to Universal to pay if I stayed at WL. How much is a taxie to Universal Studios?

Thanks for your help,
Wintertime

The Portofino is a wonderful resort...we have stayed there four times since it has opened. Hard Rock is very nice as well...have walked through several times...never stayed. If you are planning on doing Universal/Islands of Adventure...staying on universal property is the only way to go...why you ask...because front of the line access is a perk for their resort guests...yes, you heard right, no standing in lines. It is excellent. Also, City Walk (their version of pleasure island, only more grown up) is a great place to catch a good meal, movie or do some dancing. You can get a AAA discount on the rooms...there is also an entertainment discount (if available)...which gives you 50% off the rack rate for the nights you are going...some people have posted rates right around $100 per night...that is excellent. If you don't already have the entertainment book/card, you can check it out at entertainment.com (i believe that is correct site).

You can also apply for a loews first card...if you don't get the entertainment rate...then tell them you are a loews first member, book the garden view room and ask for the complimentary upgrade for being a loews first member when you arrive. Makes paying $200 per night a little easier to take when you get the nicer/bigger room.

Good luck!

Thanks Webray,

I am a member of AAA as well as a DC member, DC sent me an entertainment book
and said my DC membership entitled me to "entertainment" discounts, is this what
you mean. I think I will check into both the Portofino and the Hard Rock and see what
kind of rate I can get. Your information was most helpful, sounds like I should change
my reservation from WL to a Universal hotel for the "no line" because we will be there
Columbus Day and I was worried about the crowds.

One last question, (well maybe I will think of somemore)
Is dinner at Emeril's worth it. My DH and I love good food but we are traveling
with our DD age 4. Are children discouraged or is it like most WDW dinning places
where children are welcome if they are well behaved?

Thanks again,
Wintertime

Emeril's is very good...but our favorite place on City Walk is the Latin Quarter. We have had lunch at Emeril's and dinner at the Latin quarter. There were plenty of children each time. Latin Quarter has outstanding food and service (check out the menu for both on uescape.com). At the Latin Quarter, there are mini shows, singing/dancing during dinner which is a little perk and very well done. The service is excellent at both. It is hard to choose...but I would probably eat at Latin Quarter again first, just because there were so many things (different meats/fish/flavors) on the menu we wanted to try.

Anyway, children are welcome anywhere at the universal restaurants for dinner. I am going to have to call DC...do I use that card to get the entertainment rate...or do they send me something else???

You are going to love the universal resort area...it is great.

We have stayed at PBH twice and are heading to HRH in July. We are staying in a kids suite once again.

There are many ways to get a discount on a room - AAA, EC, Fan Club Card (Universal's answer to Disney Club).

Go over to the Universal Board and look for a post by Cblmgr - Fan Club Card. Right now you can bypass the $49 rate to join and get it free. It won't last long, so hurry! Then, call Universal 1-888-uescape and ask for rates using AAA, EC, Fan Club and see which comes out the best. My SIL just booked PBH for $159 using EC for July. I got the PBH for $139. HRH has been as low as $119/$129.

There is so much more to tell you, but just go over to the Universal Board where the moderators are fun and so helpful(just like the mods on this Board!!!);) and the people are like family!:D

What month did you get PBH for $139? I think my husband and I might go in Septemeber...

How do I sign up for one of the Fan Club Card????? I couldn't find anything out, could you please help me? Thank You.

I think you'll enjoy either HRH or PBH just as much if not better then WL, although WL is an impressive looking resort the rooms are quite small & dark. Both HRH & PBH's rooms are much nicer IMHO! Plus these great rates make it hard to compare. I stayed at HRH with an EC rate of $129. Pool room, and i have PBH booked twice this summer at $159. The FOTL is worth it in itself! Do it!!!!!:pinkbounc

The $139 rate was for July made months ago. However, I have decided to stay at the HRH kidsuite instead. You will love PBH! it is my favorite!;)

Originally posted by pixie dust gal!
The $139 rate was for July made months ago. However, I have decided to stay at the HRH kidsuite instead. You will love PBH! it is my favorite!;)

Pixie Dust gal, what rate did you get for the kids suites at the HRH? And what are they like?? thanks!

CPM,

I think we are paying $309 - I think. I will check to see if that is correct and post back. However, you residing in FL can get it cheaper. My best friend lives in FL and she get a resident rate - try it!:D

I have only stayed in a kidsuite (2x) at PBH. They are great! The kids room was themed - a castle theme. Done in all royal colors - purple, green, red and gold. They had Big crowns for the headboards with jewels in each point of the crown. They had a huge mural of a castle on the wall with a stuffed dragon head coming out of the wall one side of the room and the tail coming out of the wall on the other side(like he was guarding the castle). They had two vanity stools that were shaped like crowns and the drapes were royal purple velvet. They had a small walk in closet and tons of drawer space. 2 twin beds, nightstands, vcr, tv and cd player and nintendo - all this just in the kids room!

Our room was the antithisis of the kids room. Muted earthtone colors, classic european design, king bed but THE MOST COMFOTABLE BED you will ever sleep on. They (HRH AND PBH) use down beds ot feather beds, down comforters, down pillows - you literally sink into the bed when you get in. The bed is so high off the ground my kids had to take a running leap to get on the bed! LOL I wake up several times a night when I don't sleep in my own bed - I slept straight through EVERY night for the whole stay!
The bathrooms were huge!!!!! They could fit a family of 4 in their with room for 2 more they are so huge. The have double sinks with a huge vanity top, plenty of room for dh and ds toiletries on one side and all my "stuff" (which is plenty) on the other side.; and a scale (who wants to weigh themselves on vacation?????).

Hope this gives you some idea - it really is a fabulous room. The PBH is my favorite resort - we'll see how the HRH is.........

Aloha,

Just wanted to clarify that the DC entertainment card does not include any hotels in Orlando or Anaheim except the Swan and Dolphin. So to stay at the HRH or PBH for the entertainment rate You need to buy the card (which expires in 11/2000).

There is also the Universal Fan Club rate which is about $20 more than the entertainment card rate.

You can learn more about the hotels and all the rates on the Universal discussion board here. I would make a link, but don't know how. Sorry.

Donna

Thanks Pixie Dust Gal!!!!
The kids suites are booked for both times when I'm there, oh well! What a great discription, maybe I'll try to see them while I'm there.
I agree those beds are the absolute best! I think you'll like HRH just as much as PBH, I like both for different reasons, my kids prefer HRH, they say it's just more upbeat for them.

Thanks Cheryl for the 'thumbs up' on the HRH. My arm was twisted (LOL) by my kids to stay at the HRH - they think it will be 'way cool' instead of staying at the PBH (I JUST LOVE THAT RESORT!!!). I relented and made ressies for HRH - afterall, the vacation is for them. Keeping my fingers crossed I won't be too disappointed! I will still get my 'fix' of PBH by eating at Mama's and La Trat AND using their pool for one day (part of my negotitation-LOL).

Debbie

CPM: I agree, WL is very beautiful, but the rooms are quite dark & small (maybe the darkness makes them seem smaller:confused: ) for a deluxe resort. We stayed once and my husband said he will never stay there again because of the rooms. We're staying at HRH in 2 weeks. I let you know if my hubby is impressed by the beds--he's a mattress salesman!!;)

Originally posted by ceb29
CPM: I agree, WL is very beautiful, but the rooms are quite dark & small (maybe the darkness makes them seem smaller:confused: ) for a deluxe resort. We stayed once and my husband said he will never stay there again because of the rooms. We're staying at HRH in 2 weeks. I let you know if my hubby is impressed by the beds--he's a mattress salesman!!;)

Okay, now we'll have an expert on mattresses try those incedible beds!! I can't wait for that review!! What are your dates? I'll be at PBH there June 18-22. :D

Tell your dh that we have a Stearns and Foster H Series and just love those beds at PBH as much as my own at home!

LOL;)

CPM: We'll be there 6/25-30.

PDG: Nice bed!! ;) You must dread sleeping in some hotels with a bed like that at home!LOL

Ceb29,

That is very funny, but true!LOL!

Just think what you have to look forward to when hitting those beds at PBH.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter