Anyone stay in vacation condo instead of motel?

Moby

Mouseketeer
Just found out we are going to WDW May 2-10 so I'm doing a crash course on how to plan our trip :D. Also, trying to be somewhat economical since this is an unexpected opportunity.

Anyone stay in a vacation condo instead of on-site? I have a 4.5 year old daughter so I like the idea of her sleeping in her own bedroom so hubby and I can stay up late if we want to. We want to return to room, if needed, for afternoon swims and naps so trying to decide if I should staying in off-site condo or Disney.

I found a 2 bedroom condo at Windsor Palms Resort which is about 3 1/2 miles from WDW for 8 nights for $595 total cost ($74 nightly). Is that a good price? I doubt I can find this kind of deal on-site. It's new and beautiful with Olympic size pool, kids pool, full use of the clubhouse, etc.

I'd love to hear any other tips or advice you have about staying in vacation home? What do you need to bring from home? Did you eat most meals in or out?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Moby
I'd love to hear any other tips or advice you have about staying in vacation home? What do you need to bring from home? Did you eat most meals in or out?

We have a timeshare in Orlando that we use when we go. I wouldn't stay anywhere besides a condo when we go. We have 2 boys and they get their own room and it is nice that they can go to bed and we can stay up, or whatever!

We usually buy breakfast supplies and snacks from any of the grocery stores in the area. Then we eat the other meals out. Sometimes we'll have dinner at the condo, but not often.

I also like that we have a washer and dryer at our disposal during the week. They often have at least 1 loads worth of detergent, but I always bring extra with me, along with a few dryer sheets.

And...having 2 bathrooms is wonderful, too! Being able to stretch out on a couch in the livingroom instead of having just a bed available to relax on is nice and it's not cramped like a hotel room. We've done some trips where we've stayed for 7 nights at the condo and 1 night on either end of the trip at a hotel. I never look forward to that 1 night!!!

The condo we own at is in a gated community, which most are, I think. I like the little extra security.

I think the rate you got sounds good.

The only thing that isn't the greatest, for us, is that it is a bit of a time consuming thing to leave in the afternoon, with having to get to the car, then get off of Disney property and to the condo. But it's not that much of a deterent for us, I wouldn't change it because of it!

I don't have first hand experience, but wanted to add that a family I know just got back from Windsor Palms and just loved it, found it very convenient to/from parks and loved the resort itself. THey have 2 kids.

I will only stay in a 2BR/2Bath for the same reasons you are leaning toward one. It makes your vacation so relaxing and exciting for the kids especially.

My DH and I loved having our privacy as well as the room to freely move about the place we rented without the kids/us getting in each other's way. Having a full kitchen is a great convenience as well.

You cannot beat the amount of room you get for your money offsite.

That sounds like a very good rate to me. I would do it:D

Have fun planning :)

edited to add: I think the All Stars resorts on-site start at around $74.00/night and all you get is 2 beds and a bathroom. So for what you're paying you'll get so much more - unless of course onsite was a must for you.

We are staying at Orange Lake resort. It has 7 pools, one being
a kids pool with water falls and a 40 ft slide. Its very nice.
It also has a beach area the you can rent boats and stuff. It also has golf and mini golf.

we borrowed a friends 2 bed condo last year, and have booked for Windsor Palms in December. After having the space and convenience of the condo, I can't imagine going back to a hotel room.

We tend to drive to the parks anyway, since we like to hop around, and we carry a lot of stuff with us (stroller etc), so the added travel time is pretty minimal - it was maybe 10 minutes more once we left disney property.

We have rented a vacation home for our upcoming trip, we are paying approx. $80 nite for a pool home. I think that's an incredible bargain compared to onsite.

I do love the onsite accommodations! But for a full week with two young active children - ugh. The advantage to a pool home as opposed to a condo is we can be more relaxed at swim time. I get rather hyper watching my children among 25 others in a big pool. Also, dh and I can go swimming at night after the kids are in bed. I can't wait!

We do plan to eat breakfast every day at the home, my kids are early risers and will have their usual toaster waffles I'm sure. I doubt we'll come back for any lunches, but maybe one or two dinners. I've made a list of good offsite restaurants too.

Dandelion,

Thanks for responding. I'm curious to know what community your rental is in? How close to the Park is it?

Thanks to all the input I received, we decided on a home with a pool instead of a condo. Got it for $75 a night so am pleased.

Thanks everyone!

Moby, I think it's called Eagle Point or Eagle Crest ... I know it's to the East of Disney's entrance from 192.

Have you been over to the Orlando Hotels and Attractions forum? There's a lot of discussion of offsite hotels, restaurants and the condo/home communities.

We are staying in a pool home as well. We have stayed in 2 condo on previous trips and last year rented a house. We will never do anything else (well at least till the boys are grown). You have made the right decision. The House we rented is a 4 bed 2 bath with a pool off 192 for $2000 for the month of June. The house is behind Walmart.
Have fun
Mike
:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter