• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone tow with a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab?

breick

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about buying a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT SWB truck. I'll be towing a "97 Coleman Sun Ridge (2800#). Anyone got a truck like that or similar...?

hi I might not be that much help but....

One of our friends has that truck and they haul a popup with it. They said that they feel funny cause the truck is so big and the camper looks like a toy behind it. I think that its a 10-12' box and I know that it is a coleman. If you want more info I'll be gald to ask Mark. Is the sunridge a pop up?

A Coleman Sun Ridge is a popup. (12' box adn 2800#) One of the biggest Coleman's made that year. Any information is appreciated. I'm especially interested in the type of hitch and whether they have any problems with sway.

hi
I talked with Kristi (Mark wasn't home) this am. Their coleman is also a 12' box and abt the same #. They have just the regular hitch and no sway bars. kris did say that if they are up on the interstates around here and hit some cross winds in the valleys it sways some but never scared her, Marks never said that he's uncomfortable hauling it most times he doesn't even know its back there. they were thinking of upgrading but decided to get a boat instead. So kris will be hauling one of them. they have enjoyed hauling with the dodge it was way better than the mini van. infact it was why they bought the truck.
Kris said if you have any more ?'s ask away.
Chritsy

Could you check and see how much their bar drops down? Also, anyone got a preference on the brand and model of electric brake controller?

I'll be seeing them this weekend. I know that Kris said that it hardly moves when dropped on. A break control would be abig plus and you should have on (many states it manditory on that weight) they aren't cheap. The 1500 used to have a towing weight of 7000# so you should be all set if you move up a few sizes. We have a Mallard 25A thats 5800# and I haul it with a toyota Sequoia, which has a 6200# rate. I wouldn't go any higher I was told to leave a 500# difference and sice we NEVER haul full of water I don't worry that I'm lacking that extra 100#. We went to disney and dry camped abt 6 nights down and back and still came home with a little left. I did almost fill it that time but sent most our extra gear with my m&d in their RV to try to even that water weight out. We have the base model of the tekonsa controller and that what my DH has on his work truck (f350 dump) he hauls the tractor all over with that and wasn't sure he'd like all the adjusting he has to do with the tracto one, but for some reason this one doesn't move as much. They were installed at two different places. Mine was done by our Jayco dealer and they had never wired a sequoia before (toyotas are awful to wire) the f350 was done by the huge trailer (landscape and utility) dealer. So I say have that sone at a camping dealer works better. Christy

I don't have any info about towing capabilities.
But I did want to say I think it's great your buying a DODGE!!!

nav0.gif

We're a Dodge family!!!:p :p

Hi
Talked with Mark this weekend. He said maybe a 2" drop. but like most things in our area it will be burried in a snow bank till mid april. He couldn't remember what brake controller he had but he has hauled it both ways and he says the brake controller makes a big difference.
Hope this helps. By the time he can reach it to set it up you'll probably have bought one. We were sneaky and took out a vehicle that had a hitch rec. on it and went home and tried it. That might work for you too. (No we didn't go on the road with it just in our drive way)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter