• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone up? Harry & Meghan Royal Wedding Watch thread

Yes and no, she was “successful” but from one show, whether her acting success continued after Suits ended is an unknown. She was wealthy compared to you and me, but I doubt hardly set for life on the basis of her acting success in the one show.
She does seem to have a genuine interest in philanthropy that has nothing to do trying to impress others or shape a good public image.

Where as I believe Kate would have married Will if he was a carpenter, that she married him despite him being a Royal not because of it. I’m not 100% on Meghan.

PP pipped me to it, but Kate wears them all the time.

I think you stated it well, Kate and William seem to give off a vibe that they would have been a great couple no matter what. Meghan though...not sure she would have given Harry the time of day were he not a "someone". Then my husband came in when I was watching the wedding and his reaction was that Harry seemed nervous, in love, and genuine, she seemed "phoney". He also asked if she was an actress because she just seemed too "on" at all times and he questioned if her perma-smile was real. I guess time will tell!

I think you stated it well, Kate and William seem to give off a vibe that they would have been a great couple no matter what. Meghan though...not sure she would have given Harry the time of day were he not a "someone". Then my husband came in when I was watching the wedding and his reaction was that Harry seemed nervous, in love, and genuine, she seemed "phoney". He also asked if she was an actress because she just seemed too "on" at all times and he questioned if her perma-smile was real. I guess time will tell!
That is my exact read. It’s one thing to be comfortable in front of the camera, but she seems to crave it. She was “on” every single moment of the wedding. I had the feeling she was thinking nonstop, “That expression will photograph well. Batting my eyes will be so sweet right now. Now it’s time to look demure.” Whereas Harry looked like a normal groom.

Meghan Markle is a wealthy woman on her own, and she already had a great, sophisticated lifestyle. She gave up something precious by marrying him, which was her freedom.

I may be in the minority, but I've always thought I'd love to be rich, but not famous. Add to the fame the many restrictions imposed on a royal, and it's not all fun and games.

How many stuffy royal functions can you attend before it gets old. Sure, there's glitz and glamor, dressing up jewelry, but she had that before. I bet she attended many fun Hollywood parties, and she did when she wanted.

Again, I think I'm in the minority that a royal lifestyle is not one that I'd consider an enviable lifestyle, especially for someone who was born and raised outside of it.

I thought it was so sweet how much in love they looked during the ceremony. I wish them all the best. But it won't be easy.

I wouldn’t consider Meghan Markle wealthy and what exactly did she give up by marrying a prince?

She is 36 years old and by Hollywood’s standards she is almost over the hill. She’s been in how many movies that have been hits? She was on a game show years ago. Once the show she was in was over where exactly would her career go? I’ve never heard of her before she hooked up with Harry (never watched suits).

Harry is her golden ring.

Wow. Some of you are a tough crowd!

I haven't seen suits, but had seen Meghan Markle on various made for tv movies, etc. She was already known for her work with World Vision, etc., had a successful blog, was older and successful in her career, and it definitely seemed like a love match to me. I like Kate and find her relatable, but think she was given a much harder time in the press, "waitie katie," etc. She never really established a career because she was waiting for Prince William to be ready to marry. (I've been watching the tv biographies - can you tell?)

I wouldn’t consider Meghan Markle wealthy and what exactly did she give up by marrying a prince?

She is 36 years old and by Hollywood’s standards she is almost over the hill. She’s been in how many movies that have been hits? She was on a game show years ago. Once the show she was in was over where exactly would her career go? I’ve never heard of her before she hooked up with Harry (never watched suits).

Her estimated net worth is about five million dollars. Yeah, so he has more, but she IS wealthy. She had money to live a lavish live and travel all over the world. And I clearly pointed out what what she giving up by marrying Henry. She gave up her freedom, Freedom to be herself, to act and say what she pleases, to make her own decisions about how she wants to live her life. "Marrying a prince" isn't all what is chacked up to be. Just ask Princess Diana...ooops you can't, she is dead.

I'm kind of shocked by the hostility towards Maghan Markle of this thread

Her estimated net worth is about five million dollars.

You know, 5M isn’t as much as you would think.
She wouldn’t be able to continue to live the lifestyle she has been when Suits finishes unless she got some new roles. Now I love Suits, and I think she is great in it, but there is far from any guarantee of her getting another steady well paying gig after.

That is not to say that she has married him for his money, or even his status.
But I do agree with the previous poster that she wouldn’t have gone a first date with Harry the plumber.

You know, 5M isn’t as much as you would think.
She wouldn’t be able to continue to live the lifestyle she has been when Suits finishes unless she got some new roles. Now I love Suits, and I think she is great in it, but there is far from any guarantee of her getting another steady well paying gig after.

It is very possible she'd get another gig, but even if she didn't people with that kind of money make investments and can be set for life. The other day I was listening to Joyce De Witt from "Three's company", talking how the show afforded her a lifestyle she wouldn't have had otherwise. For Joyce, TIC was it, and her salary from that show was much less than Meghan's, but she obviously invested it wisely in order to e set for life.

My point is that Meghan was no Cinderella being rescued. I think she was living a full, exciting life even before she met Harry

But I do agree with the previous poster that she wouldn’t have gone a first date with Harry the plumber.
That could be. But who is to say that Kate would have gone on a first date with William the plumber like it has been implied.

Both women were used to to a certain lifestyle, so yes, it is doubtful that either one of them were willing to date plumbers. But I'd like to think that both of the love their husbands dearly.

I agree with Skywalker. I have no idea why I feel she married him because he's a prince. I just never see any true passion from her. This was all before her family started in on their agenda. The pictures of them at a friend's wedding last year, didn't seem lovey dovey to me. Anyway, we shall see. Did anyone see where the Spencer family was sitting? I know that Diana's sister was in that alcove so she could give the speech but I never saw and the media didn't point out where Diana's brother etc were sitting.
Also thought it weird that George Clooney and Amal were up front yet Elton John got the cheap seats and he performed at the reception.

I thought the flowers and official portraits were gorgeous. I loved that she wore minimal makeup and I loved her second dress. Was hoping for more sparkle in her dresses but that's just me. :laughing:

Harry seems very happy. Not sure what I think of Meghan but I wish them well!

I think I find myself just looking for reasons to believe that both boys married for love and will be happy. I just feel like they have to after the nonsense of their mother's sham marriage. I still cringe when I see footage of Charles saying "whatever love is"......

I think I find myself just looking for reasons to believe that both boys married for love and will be happy. I just feel like they have to after the nonsense of their mother's sham marriage. I still cringe when I see footage of Charles saying "whatever love is"......

I feel the same way! And honestly I think they did. It seems like Will and Harry each married the person of their choosing not by whatever “rules” the Royals have to live by.

I think with anyone they marry there is going to be a little of that “would she love him if he wasn’t a prince”. Heck there is that with movie stars or just the plain ole rich!

I don’t think you can judge how someone feels by little snippets of how they look when the entire world is watching.

I agree with Skywalker. I have no idea why I feel she married him because he's a prince. I just never see any true passion from her. This was all before her family started in on their agenda. The pictures of them at a friend's wedding last year, didn't seem lovey dovey to me. Anyway, we shall see. Did anyone see where the Spencer family was sitting? I know that Diana's sister was in that alcove so she could give the speech but I never saw and the media didn't point out where Diana's brother etc were sitting.
Also thought it weird that George Clooney and Amal were up front yet Elton John got the cheap seats and he performed at the reception.

What kind of true passion should Meghan show Harry in public? Geez, I'm going to assume that they get a room just like all the normal public.

Well, I do think it takes a lot of sacrifice to be part of the Royal Family. Even her own wedding was taken over by them and that's how the rest of her life will be. While a lot of women may be willing to make that sacrifice for the perks that come along with it, you can't deny that certain freedoms and anonymity are stripped away.

That said, I also agree she would not have been set up on that blind date if it were Harry the Plumber. I don't doubt they have true love, but I'm sure the appeal of a "Prince" was an initial draw. Kate Middleton's story is a little different since she went to school with William and met him on her own, and I believe her own family is pretty well off. Her lifestyle and background was closer in relation to that of William than Meghan's was in relation to Harry. Harry and Meghan's upbringings are so different that they can't possibly relate on that level. Not that they necessarily need to, but just saying.

On a related note, I didn't realize Meghan was 36. Have they said whether they are planning on having children? Might not be as important to the Royals since Harry isn't the heir, but just curious now.

I hope it's nothing but happiness all around. I will say I have some misgivings knowing that the bride had no family there other than mom and generally overall rather recent friends. May or may not mean something.

I also realized watching the kids that George seems to be rather passive and always seemed to be following, either the boy he was paired with at first or adults later. Charlotte seems to be cut in the mold of mom and her mom -- rather confidently assured. George seems to have a bit more reserve in the style of dad -- and dad's memorable and missed mom. It will be interesting to watch as they grow. Bittersweet knowing Diana isn't here to relish every moment as she should be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter