Apple Watch and Magic Band, Question

Let me know if you need anymore help. I'm a huge Apple nerd.
*raises hand*
My son has an Apple Watch with cellular. We tried to set it up last year to be used as a MB, but I couldn't figure it out, and we were already on vacation so I didn't bother. Does it need to be "tethered" to a phone with cellular in order for it to work as an MB? He does have an inactive iPhone (my old phone), which can connect to WiFi and has Bluetooth. I'm not sure if that is enough, though.

*raises hand*
My son has an Apple Watch with cellular. We tried to set it up last year to be used as a MB, but I couldn't figure it out, and we were already on vacation so I didn't bother. Does it need to be "tethered" to a phone with cellular in order for it to work as an MB? He does have an inactive iPhone (my old phone), which can connect to WiFi and has Bluetooth. I'm not sure if that is enough, though.
It does need to be linked to a phone that can access the internet to work. It has to authenticate with the cloud to properly use anything in the Wallet. If you can stay on Disney wifi, hypothetically it can work, but the wifi isn't alway consistent and drops as you move through the parks (at least in my experience). It works best linked to an active phone or if the Apple Watch itself has cellular service. Apple Watches were not designed to be a standalone device without being paired with an iPhone.

The Watch does have cellular. The "phone" does not.
Hmm, I'm not sure how the watch can have an active cellular plan without it being attached to the iPhone contract. That is how I've always seen it. Worth a call to Apple or a cell phone provider to see if you can make it an independent device. I have AT&T and it's a $10 a month add-on. The problem is that the Watch is a secondary device - it was not designed to be used without pairing to an iPhone for overall management.

Hmm, I'm not sure how the watch can have an active cellular plan without it being attached to the iPhone contract. That is how I've always seen it. Worth a call to Apple or a cell phone provider to see if you can make it an independent device. I have AT&T and it's a $10 a month add-on. The problem is that the Watch is a secondary device - it was not designed to be used without pairing to an iPhone for overall management.
I guess saying it has a "cellular plan" may not be technically accurate. It has a data plan, which allows it to connect via a cellular network when WiFi is not available. I "manage" it through my phone (i.e., set up Schooltime, etc), but otherwise it does not really connect to a phone.

I guess saying it has a "cellular plan" may not be technically accurate. It has a data plan, which allows it to connect via a cellular network when WiFi is not available. I "manage" it through my phone (i.e., set up Schooltime, etc), but otherwise it does not really connect to a phone.
Ah yeah - I think this situation won't allow it to be used as the MB substitute. I sometime wear a puck on my watch band with one of the puck holders you can get off Etsy!

Plan to use my Apple Watch for the first time when we go in Aug. I’ve got my AP already set up on the watch and I have photopass on my AP. Will my watch function like the MB for pictures or will I need my MB puck?

Thank you all and I'm sooo happy my post helped some people other than myself!

I have successfully added my AP and DVC information to my Wallet and they are on my watch (it's like magic to me LOL).

I also have the puck holder because I'm worried about it not working (my watch). I'll just throw the puck in my backpack if I need it. I had hoped not to have to carry my phone but realized I may need it when using G+, gggrrrrr.

Quick question for those that have cards and tickets in their wallet for their watch....my watch is saying I need a PW to open now that I have cards in my wallet on my phone. Is this correct because it is a little annoying.

We leave on Thursday and I already have changed my watch face to Minnie! Can't wait!
If I've understood other posts, using your Apple Watch as your pass works great except the ride pictures that don't have tap stations. HM, 7DMT, Slinky...and more won't get your pictures to your account if you don't have an actual MB2 or MB+ with you.

ride pictures that don't have tap stations
These were working in May of 2022 with just the Apple Watch, no MB. It was about 75% effective at that point.

Also the Apple Watch is much slower to tap through than the MagicBand, if speed is important, use the MB.

Plan to use my Apple Watch for the first time when we go in Aug. I’ve got my AP already set up on the watch and I have photopass on my AP. Will my watch function like the MB for pictures or will I need my MB puck?
If you’re referring to pictures taken by a PhotoPass photographer where they scan a band after taking them, it will work fine with just the Apple Watch. I do this all the time. I just tap my wallet app and they scan from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter