April 24- No Pool!?

Alyseander

Earning My Ears
So I was pretty sold on POFQ for my April 2024 trip …until I saw the dreaded pool refurb notice today! We would be arriving around April 17th, we have 2 toddlers and I imagined a lot of resort time around their afternoon nap. I can’t change our dates because I am a teacher and have to work around our spring break. So I now need some opinions..

-Go for it anyway… maybe the pool will be done by then? (Will the rates be less with the construction?)

-Pick a new resort? No pool is too much of a loss.

So I was pretty sold on POFQ for my April 2024 trip …until I saw the dreaded pool refurb notice today! We would be arriving around April 17th, we have 2 toddlers and I imagined a lot of resort time around their afternoon nap. I can’t change our dates because I am a teacher and have to work around our spring break. So I now need some opinions..

-Go for it anyway… maybe the pool will be done by then? (Will the rates be less with the construction?)

-Pick a new resort? No pool is too much of a loss.
Pick a new resort. We really like pofq, but there is no way we'd stay at any of the resorts when a major amenity is missing. We pay waaayyyy too much money to not have a pool.

Edited to add...No...using a different resorts pool would not be a reasonable alternative for us either. Pick a different resort. There are lots of nice resorts and NO reason to pay the same amount of money and not have a convenient pool. I wouldn't accept that with only adults and certainly not with 2 toddlers.

Last edited:
You're allowed to use the pools at POR. Not sure about transportation. You can walk or take the boat. I suspect Disney will be running buses or golf carts between the 2 sections of the Port Orleans Resort

I'd change resorts. I imagine they're going to make Riverside available, but there is no way that is convenient regardless of what transportation they provide. A huge advantage of POFQ is it's so small and everything is relatively close regardless of your room location. Without the pool, that goes away. As far as rates go, no one knows. They use to offer some significant discounts when there was construction or loss of amenities, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

Thank you everyone! The website says it will be closed January-April. I always have bad luck with these type of things. Has anyone stayed at Riverside with young children? It seems more “adult”

It is really hard to guess what the conditions will be like for a pool refurb that will begin in January. But they usually don't lower the rates if a resort is under construction. I have seen them give a discount for loss of services if you ask them once you check in, though.

POFQ is a better choice than with small children. But I understand how you are counting on the pool. And POFQ doesn't have a second pool. POR is a really nice resort with five pools, but it is very spread out.

If your reservation allows you to switch to POR later, when you are closer to April, then I would book POFQ and wait until I knew for sure what the situation will be. POR doesn't usually fill up, so it should be available for a last minute switch.

We have stayed at both POR and FQ. POR is much, much larger. IMHO your location might make or break your experience. I would not stay at FQ with the possibility of not having the pool. It also might be noisy or messy or have paths blocked due to the pool work. You never know.
POR has quiet pools and a main pool. We like them all. We paid a little more to stay in the preferred section, Alligator Bayou, closest to the food court. It was also right near a quiet pool. If a "plain" pool won't matter to your kids, it is very convenient. The grounds are beautiful and full of trees and plants.
Transportation is different, because there are so many more bus stops.
You don't say if you have been to Disney before, but you are spot on in planning the afternoon nap breaks and pool time! Disney resorts are pricey, so you might as well enjoy them!
We don't find any of the other moderate resorts appealing, so I can't give advice on those.
Our kids were 5 and almost 3 the first time we took them to Disney. They are now 21 and 18. You can see where we've stayed below. They have loved them all! DH and I are both teachers (NY), so we have always had to go within the window in August when summer programs end and fall sports begin. (HOTTER THAN HOT!)

I wouldn’t stay at a hotel if the pool wasn’t open. We stayed at POFQ this past February and it was really nice. My daughter did enjoy the pool and the pool slide and we used it often. There’s no way I’d stay there if the pool wasn’t open. Going to POR wouldn’t be convenient. It’s close, but also seems kind of far too. Especially taking kids to the pool.

What’s your budget? Maybe check out different resorts

Change now. Don’t gamble on if the pool will be open.

No, they will not offer any discounts due to the construction or any reimbursement due to not having a pool as notice has been given well in advance.
You would think with a major amenity gone they would offer a cheaper rate, but if people are willing to pay it why would they!

I would look at Pop/AoA for the Skyliner access. If French Quarter’s pool is down, they will send you over to Riverside.
I was thinking of Pop. I stayed at all star music once however and really wasn’t a huge fan of it. Trying to decide if skyliner access will make that big of a difference.

I wouldn’t stay at a hotel if the pool wasn’t open. We stayed at POFQ this past February and it was really nice. My daughter did enjoy the pool and the pool slide and we used it often. There’s no way I’d stay there if the pool wasn’t open. Going to POR wouldn’t be convenient. It’s close, but also seems kind of far too. Especially taking kids to the pool.

What’s your budget? Maybe check out different resorts
I don’t think we could go above the moderate level. Any suggestions for other resorts for young kids?

We have stayed at both POR and FQ. POR is much, much larger. IMHO your location might make or break your experience. I would not stay at FQ with the possibility of not having the pool. It also might be noisy or messy or have paths blocked due to the pool work. You never know.
POR has quiet pools and a main pool. We like them all. We paid a little more to stay in the preferred section, Alligator Bayou, closest to the food court. It was also right near a quiet pool. If a "plain" pool won't matter to your kids, it is very convenient. The grounds are beautiful and full of trees and plants.
Transportation is different, because there are so many more bus stops.
You don't say if you have been to Disney before, but you are spot on in planning the afternoon nap breaks and pool time! Disney resorts are pricey, so you might as well enjoy them!
We don't find any of the other moderate resorts appealing, so I can't give advice on those.
Our kids were 5 and almost 3 the first time we took them to Disney. They are now 21 and 18. You can see where we've stayed below. They have loved them all! DH and I are both teachers (NY), so we have always had to go within the window in August when summer programs end and fall sports begin. (HOTTER THAN HOT!)
I have been to Disney about 5 times prior but never with children, so all my priorities are now different! It is definitely a down fall of being a teacher, that the times I can go are when everyone else can go as well, or as you mentioned it’s hotter than hot!

It is really hard to guess what the conditions will be like for a pool refurb that will begin in January. But they usually don't lower the rates if a resort is under construction. I have seen them give a discount for loss of services if you ask them once you check in, though.

POFQ is a better choice than with small children. But I understand how you are counting on the pool. And POFQ doesn't have a second pool. POR is a really nice resort with five pools, but it is very spread out.

If your reservation allows you to switch to POR later, when you are closer to April, then I would book POFQ and wait until I knew for sure what the situation will be. POR doesn't usually fill up, so it should be available for a last minute switch.
That is a good idea!

I don’t think we could go above the moderate level. Any suggestions for other resorts for young kids?
Coronado springs or Caribbean Beach? The Caribbean Beach has the skyliner and a pretty cool pool. It’s just a big resort.

Would you try the swan or dolphin? Sometimes you can get deals there

Swan/dolphin used to offer teacher discount. That‘s an option you might want to look into

Coronado springs or Caribbean Beach? The Caribbean Beach has the skyliner and a pretty cool pool. It’s just a big resort.

Would you try the swan or dolphin? Sometimes you can get deals there
I just started looking into Caribbean beach! The size of it does seem like it might be a downfall, but maybe with the right building it could work out.

I actually have stayed at the dolphin in the past and I thought it was nice! I am still open to it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter