Are the Characters real?

lgrover

Earning My Ears
For Christmas I bought my 4 yr old DD the sing along tape called 'Beach Party at WDW' to get her used to seeing the characters. Recently I bought the sing along tape called 'It's a small world'. Now my 7 yr old DD is questioning if the characters are real or just actors. She came to the conclusion that they must be actors in costume because their months don't move. Here's my delemna, do I tell her she's right but ask her not to tell her sister or do I deny it? I don't want my 4 yr old to lose the magic. This is the first trip for them. I did warn them that the characters can't talk to them like they do on the tape. Help.:confused:

Your in a pickle all right - my girls are 5 & 7 so I know the deal. I would try asking questions first - get a feel for what the 7yo wants. If she asks again "are they real?" - try asking "what do you think". She may want you to help her believe a bit longer and keep the magic alive or.. she may be ready or you to treat her a bit more grown up and "tell the truth". Its a tough call and really only you know what's best. I usually get vague and say something like "they are real to me" - (I still beleive after all). Eather way when she see's the characters esp the "face characters" like Cinderella or Alladin she will love them - they are real and do talk!.

If your girls like the beach party video (mine love it) try Disneyland Fun and Flicks Magical Adventure - they are in Disneyland (similar to MK) and Animal Kindgom. It will give them a real good idea of what to expect on the trip.
Have fun
TJ

I'd admit it to the older child and ask her not to tell the younger one.

My son was 6 when he told me that the characters weren't real. Then he said, "but it's really fun to pretend."

We use the "no, it's not real, but it's fun to pretend" line for all questions pertaining to Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth fairy etc... The kids never actually asked about the Disney characters, and to be honest, I never knew kids thought they were "real." Despite our realism, my daughter still argues that the tooth fairy is real. We don't argue - then it's "whatever you think is fine." We mostly stay out of her arguments with her older brother. She presents some pretty convincing evidence. I think they believe what they want to believe no matter what you tell them.

When my DS was 8 he asked the same question. I gave him the same answer that I have given him about Santa, The Easter Bunny and The Tooth fairy. Absoluty! Now, I know that my son does not really belive that this is true but he does not want me to confirm the fact. He would be mortified at 9 now to have his friends think he belived, but safe in our family, we still all play along. Now if she was worried, or confused about the truth, you might have to confirm her doubt. Otherwise I agree with tjmw2727, be vage."I sure belive" or "everyone knows Mickey Mouse is real. BTW My same kid that told me at 3 that there was no way a bunny could hop all over the world, asked me last night to be sure to get his basket out before the Easter Bunny comes. Be carful not to spoil her fun. Even if you decide to tell her, I would ask her to "help" play along for her little sister and remind her the character are still fun even if she knows the secret. What a great age for a trip. Have a blast!

Jordan's mom

My answer has always been "what do you think?" Or in the case of Disey "Its all part of the Disney Magic"

I refuse to confirm or deny these things.

Do what I did, say,

"Go ask your Father."

I never told my kids but they seem to know they are not real. on our last trip in november when my 4 1/2 yr old was too afraid to go near a character my 6 yr old told her not to be afraid they are only people inside. But they were still very excited to see ones they really loved.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I really liked SandaC's answer.

Oh boy, we leave in 3 days!!

AH!! The developing mind is a wonderful sight to behold!!

Your 7 year old is developing the intellectual abilities of a child who is entering the "formal operations" stage. They think logically, think convergently (i.e., arrive at conclusions based upon what they observe), and are beginning to think abstractly (i.e., think with concepts). So, I don't see how you can really deny her conclusions - they are correct!!

However, you do not have to provide her with a definitive answer, either. You could simply reflect back to her what she is verbalizing: "So you think they are not real, huh?" And leave it at that...

Oftentimes, children just need validation of what they are experiencing. You need not provide her with a direct answer, but validate her statement through reflecting it back for her to ponder further...

Think about it for a while...

:D

This is a toughie but with Erich I try to be reality based but with a bit of magic thrown in! He's always known those were people inside the costumes at WDW. I remember a story going around a few years ago,I'm not sure how true it is.A family had a flat tire at the end of the day at Disneyland.They were taken into a Castmemebers area while they waited for a repair man.Some costumed characters were coming through and the kids saw Mickey without his head.The parents sued Disney for ruining the magic for their kids!!!So that made me ask Erich are the characters real or people inside.He said "of course they're people but it's fun to pretend!" He was pretty smart in my opinion! :)
And SandraC you had me ROTFLOL!!!!

Thanks to everyone, I liked all the answers and will remember them when my 3 yo DD starts asking.

By the way SandraC, after that "cute" comment, I'll tell DD when she starts asking about the birds & the bees OR anything else to go ask mom LOL Turnabout is fair play isn't it;)

It's kind of depressing when they figure out they aren't real - of course my DS 4 still thinks they are but my DD 8 and DS 10 both know they are not but what I found on our last trip was that even though they knew they weren't real they were still just as excited to see them as my 4 year old and the highlight of their trip was getting the characters autographs - it is almost like when they were with the characters they forgot they weren't real for awhile, do you know what I mean? I just love the looks on all their faces when they get excited like that - I CAN'T WAIT to get back to WDW:D

One of my favorite memories of our trip to Disney was when we were standing on the porch of Crystal Palace waiting for our PS. My then 7 yr old DS was looking throught he window with my then 2 yr old DD and pointing out the characters inside the restaurant to her. He was really excited about showing her Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. Afterwards he came over to me and whispered, "I know they're not real, I'm just pretending for Rachel." At the age of 7 he understood that it was important for a 2 yr old to believe they were real and that as the big brother it was important that he not ruin the magic for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter