• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are these dates terrible?

Betsyp

DIS Veteran
I was planning to stay in POFQ from May 8-13 (leaving on the 13th), but it turns out that I have training for my new job from 5/8 through the rest of the month. Since June seems like a bad month to go - schools out, etc…- I could go 4/30 to May 6. However, I read that there’s some sort of cheering competition going on …Is that a bad week to be at WDW in terms of crowds?

I almost want to cry, because I was so looking forward to staying at POFQ, but there must not be any available rooms for 4/30 since the calendar doesn’t go back past May. I’m hoping maybe if I call them, I can find something there…

Thanks!

Cheer competitions should not really affect crowds that much (it's always busy these days). The value resorts may be busier, but I don't think POFQ is a resort they typically stay at. I'd go.

We go in June every year as we are both teachers. We love going early/mid June. It just seems like the summer crowds haven’t fully picked up yet, but that’s just an opinion of course

Cheer competitions should not really affect crowds that much (it's always busy these days). The value resorts may be busier, but I don't think POFQ is a resort they typically stay at. I'd go.
I was thinking more about the parks, if theres other stuff going on that week...

I may end up having to go in June, which I’d rather not, but I would if I had to (Im not going to wait until fall, lol)

thanks !

We go in June every year as we are both teachers. We love going early/mid June. It just seems like the summer crowds haven’t fully picked up yet, but that’s just an opinion of course
That’s good to know ! I’d rather May, but if it’s not possible, June is better than July and August !

Thanks!

We have gone at the end of April and it wasn't too bad. I believe the cheer competitions are over at ESPN. We did notice several groups staying at Pop Century and you did run into them in the parks but I don't think it makes a noticeable difference. As someone mentioned, they probably will stay at the value resorts. However, at that time we also ran into several school/band groups as well. Again, not a big problem but be aware that they travel in packs. :teeth:

We have gone at the end of April and it wasn't too bad. I believe the cheer competitions are over at ESPN. We did notice several groups staying at Pop Century and you did run into them in the parks but I don't think it makes a noticeable difference. As someone mentioned, they probably will stay at the value resorts. However, at that time we also ran into several school/band groups as well. Again, not a big problem but be aware that they travel in packs. :teeth:
Hopefully if I can make this week, they’ll all be gone by May 1 😂😬😬😬😬

Echoing what everyone else has said about cheer competitions not impacting crowds too much and teams rarely staying at POFQ. To add, I'm seeing a ton of availability at POFQ for your new dates.

We've gone in mid-late June many times. Some years are better than others as far as weather and crowds but we always have a good time and get a lot done. We've never felt we didn't get enough done. I think that the most important thing is to have a plan for what you hope to accomplish. We were there last June and thanks to Genie+ and ILL, we got on all of our "must do rides" in the first 5 days of our stay. The last 3 days were spent riding things a 2nd or 3rd time and doing things we didn't plan on doing on that trip. We only did rope drop 3 days and we either slept in or took a 3-4 hour break every day. In your case, if you can manage to go that first week of May, do it! But if you can't, June will still be fine. I think a good touring plan trumps everything else.

Last edited:
April 30 to May 6 will be a good week to go. There will actually be cheer and dance competitions both weekends, but nothing during the week. Even then, most of the additional crowds are at the value resorts. The parks shouldn't be too bad.

Echoing what everyone else has said about cheer competitions not impacting crowds too much and teams rarely staying at POFQ. To add, I'm seeing a ton of availability at POFQ for your new dates.
I booked the new dates ! I was really worried about a huge price adjustment upward, but it was only a couple of hundred dollars more...I didn’t want to be priced out of POFQ.

I’m so glad the crowds won’t be too bad - thank you !

Go when you want to go. It's going to be crowded regardless.
I probably would have gone 1st week in May even the responses indicated slightly heavier than usual crowds...I didn’t want to wait until June, lol

We've gone in mid-late June many times. Some years are better than others as far as weather and crowds but we always have a good time and get a lot done. We've never felt we didn't get enough done. I think that the most important thing is to have a plan for what you hope to accomplish. We were there last June and thanks to Genie+ and ILL, we got on all of our "must do rides" in the first 5 days of our stay. The last 3 days were spent riding things a 2nd or 3rd time and doing things we didn't plan on doing on that trip. We only did rope drop 3 days and we either slept in or took a 3-4 hour break every day. In your case, if you can manage to go that first week of May, do it! But if you can't, June will still be fine. I think a good touring plan trumps everything else.
I agree about planning - I could never visit WDW without a plan of action. I found Genie + and ILL easy to work with; in November, when I hadn’t been in many years, I also got all of my must rides in. The great thing is now I can avoid those I don’t like - like GoG. The big thing for me this time is to enjoy WS - thanks to a 3 hr wait for Remy, I didn‘t get a chance. I only care about Test Track, Soarin (will ride those multiple times), the Land boat ride (1) and Frozen, as to rides, and 3 of those are in the same area. Enjoying the Flower and Garden exhibits will also help me take things at a slower pace.

My plan overall is essentially yours - and I intend to take the Amorette’s pastry class, and spend a day at Blizzard Beach...At POFQ, I’ll do a carriage ride. I hope to work in mid day breaks where possible.

Thank you!

April 30 to May 6 will be a good week to go. There will actually be cheer and dance competitions both weekends, but nothing during the week. Even then, most of the additional crowds are at the value resorts. The parks shouldn't be too bad.
That’s great to know, thank you! As an AP holder, I can only use it on weekdays, so actually that works out to be an advantage ...

i love the hustle and bussel of things being a dvc owner i do go so often if i miss something i know i will be back go when weather is best suited for your group.

i dont go in middle of summer as the heat affects the grumpy kids

i love the hustle and bussel of things being a dvc owner i do go so often if i miss something i know i will be back go when weather is best suited for your group.

i dont go in middle of summer as the heat affects the grumpy kids
What exactly is Disney Vacation Club? Is it like a time share ?

If you look up the specific cheer competition (I think it's the summit those days?), the packages they have are for All-star resorts, Coronado springs and AK lodge. I've heard it can get pretty noisy at those hotels but I haven't heard that they impact the park crowds to any significant degree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter