Are these typical spelling words for 1st grade??

shannonandtom

Mouseketeer
I don't know about you but I sure don't remember Spelling words like this when I was in 1st grade. Granted that was a long time ago. These are our son's words for his spelling test this week...

pinched
rested
gulped
stamped
helping
sanding
drifting
singing
hunting

We think this is way beyond first grade.
What do you think?

Tom...

Sounds about right to me. I'm always amazed at what DD is learning. The stuff she knows now, I didn't know until a year or two later.

Looks like they have been learning about "ed" and "ing"

Actually they look EASY compared to some of the first grade words my daughter had. :) I certainly think they are appropriate for the grade, especially at the end of the year.

You think those are hard, you should see my 2nd grader's spelling words! :eek: I happen to have an old spelling list from February saved, and these were some of his words:
mosquito
echolocation
hibernate
mammals
destroying

So, those definitely sound on track to me, for your son's 1st grade class. They're just going to continue to get more and more difficult as the years go by, much more difficult than when we were that age.

The kids all seem to do great with them, (at least at our school) so I don't think it's beyond their capabilities. It amazes me how much they absorb at that age!

I have twins in first grade and that is about what they get...I teach, and it is about what they get too.

Looks fair to me. All of those words show skills that are learned in first grade.

I was amazed at what my son was learning in Kindergarten! When I was in "K" (back in the Stone Ages), it was playtime & we even had nap time! Kids are learning more today at an earlier age. Too much pressure too soon but they have to keep up with society!

Wish DD was in some of your school districts! She is in second grade and we dont even bother studying for her spelling or vocab. tests because the words are too easy for her!

Looks about right to me, too. DD is also in 1st grade and it amazes me the spelling words they have been expected to learn this year. She has a test every Friday. Usually we start on Sunday or Monday of that week writing them for practice at home and by the 3rd or 4th time she usually knows them all. I probably shouldn't say this and jinx her, but she has not missed a word all year. (mini proud mom brag;) ) It amazes me what these kids are learning these days in all subjects. They are so much farther ahead than I was at that young of an age.:D

These are my first grader's spelling words this week:
poke
yoke
choke
spoke
Coke (yep, it's supposed to be capitalized this time;) )
joke
smoke
broke
woke
broken

I think they got the words from their story titled Julius.

They seem a bit hard to me. My daughter is in 1st grade and only had five words to learn each week. This week her words are:
snack
track
black
I
because

I can't believe what is expected of kids in school today. The stress level for these children must be tremendous!

Looks similar to what we are seeing here too. My DS8 (2nd grade) has had some tough spelling tests too. First grade was 10 words a week. Second grade is 12 words a week and a review test every 6th week of the all of the previous 60.

It makes me glad that I'm not in grade school anymore or I'd be in trouble.;) :D

I remember DS needed to know how to spell words like
telephone
in 1st grade

That's about what we're getting here. DH and I were surprised since we didn't remember having to spell words that hard back in the old days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter