Are they letting Cabana Bay go?

OP, did you get some kind of resolution when you got back from legoland? We stayed at CB two years ago, on non park days, and had no issues.

I was at CB in 12/15 and didn't have any issues. I was also there 1/16 and again no issues.

I agree that the OP or anyone who has these issues should let management know so that they may be corrected.

Great idea Damo! It is a HUGE hotel, and hopefully they are just having a bit of a staff issue that can be fixed quickly. We've not stayed there, but we did pool hop to CB a couple times last summer. It was always clean & the buses were not an issue for us. Here's hoping things turn around soon.

HOPE that you get resolution and the situation resolves.:goodvibes Bust summer season is right around the corner!:scared1:

Gatordoc, I sure hope you let someone know about your issues.

This is really sad to hear. We had a terrific experience when we were there a year ago and many others here have had great stays also.

I did contact hotel staff about some of the issues. They were sometimes apologetic but other times just shrugged. And the promises made about housekeeping services were not kept. I also sent an email to the manager outlining our concerns after we returned home. I told them I didn't want anything, but simply hoped that they would address these issues for those who stay at CB in the future.
BTW, the one thing we really did like (in addition to the lobby bar) was the lazy river. We brought our own floats, and spend several hours one hot afternoon just drifting around. Very relaxing.

OK back with some detailed reporting. First, my husband IS overreacting with the AP thing because I told him we can just stay Disney deluxe and drive or do RPR again. Secondly, the worm thing was funny! I wasn't being sarcastic with haha, I think I meant hahahahaha.

So I took the pics of smeared blood on the cushions and dirty chicken dinners in the morning to the front desk, told them and asked if I could just quickly speak to a manager. He came out and looked at the pictures and I also mentioned the garbage piling up on the lazy river all day. He took two notes down (on the pictures) and his response was strangely unaccountable! He said "I will let the Starbucks know" and "I will let the Bayliner Diner know" so it was as if the cleaning staff is all employed by separate businesses? That's odd, I see them all wearing the same outfits, right? I thought it would be the general housekeeping staff. And then I asked "Well what about the lazy river? Are they supposed to come around during the day and clean the old drinks up?" He simply said "Yes" and I asked him to make a note of that too.

So that's it. We are so glad to be checked out and home! One last complaint though (sorry! I never once had a complaint post before) was the Hideaway Bar and Grill service was horrible. It is actually easier to have cold drinks upstairs, pour and bring then back down them to wait for service.

He said "I will let the Starbucks know" and "I will let the Bayliner Diner know" so it was as if the cleaning staff is all employed by separate businesses?

not necessarily employed by separate businesses, but managed by different managers.

Think of a department store. The store employees work in their own department. They are managed by department manager.
If the Electronics department is dirty, the General Manager will have a word with the Electronics Dpt Manager, and not the Fruits&Vegetables Manager IYSWIM

It's easier to work with smaller units and departments.

And even if the Housekeeping is all a big unit, it's the manager of the departement that is at fault who will be notified.

OK back with some detailed reporting. First, my husband IS overreacting with the AP thing because I told him we can just stay Disney deluxe and drive or do RPR again. Secondly, the worm thing was funny! I wasn't being sarcastic with haha, I think I meant hahahahaha.

So I took the pics of smeared blood on the cushions and dirty chicken dinners in the morning to the front desk, told them and asked if I could just quickly speak to a manager. He came out and looked at the pictures and I also mentioned the garbage piling up on the lazy river all day. He took two notes down (on the pictures) and his response was strangely unaccountable! He said "I will let the Starbucks know" and "I will let the Bayliner Diner know" so it was as if the cleaning staff is all employed by separate businesses? That's odd, I see them all wearing the same outfits, right? I thought it would be the general housekeeping staff. And then I asked "Well what about the lazy river? Are they supposed to come around during the day and clean the old drinks up?" He simply said "Yes" and I asked him to make a note of that too.

So that's it. We are so glad to be checked out and home! One last complaint though (sorry! I never once had a complaint post before) was the Hideaway Bar and Grill service was horrible. It is actually easier to have cold drinks upstairs, pour and bring then back down them to wait for service.

When you keep saying garbage piling up on the lazy river, do you mean that there is garbage floating on the river or is it just leaves and foliage?

You should get an email about your stay. Make sure you note your complaints.

I thought they meant that people were placing their garbage on the wall around the lazy river...I'd like to know exactly what is meant as well :) It's terrible how many people just have an "I paid so much for this vacation, other people can clean up after me." attitude about throwing garbage anywhere :(

I thought they meant that people were placing their garbage on the wall around the lazy river...I'd like to know exactly what is meant as well :) It's terrible how many people just have an "I paid so much for this vacation, other people can clean up after me." attitude about throwing garbage anywhere :(

Yes it is! Same thing happens at the beach in Panama City. There are freaking trash cans everywhere!

To clarify the lazy river garbage - I mean empty cups with straws/fruit still in them along the walls. The lazy river itself didn't have garbage floating around. Maybe it did at some point and people threw it up on the walls. So initially it fell off someone's raft and them someone else threw it up on the walls. I don't know but by the end of the day it seemed like looking at a lot of the same garbage and would have made sense for staff to have a quick walk through, there seems to be access to do that.

To clarify the lazy river garbage - I mean empty cups with straws/fruit still in them along the walls. The lazy river itself didn't have garbage floating around. Maybe it did at some point and people threw it up on the walls. So initially it fell off someone's raft and them someone else threw it up on the walls. I don't know but by the end of the day it seemed like looking at a lot of the same garbage and would have made sense for staff to have a quick walk through, there seems to be access to do that.

I agree. There are enough employees there, why can't someone just be assigned to picking stuff up?

If you have time you may want to post on trip advisor too. Cabana bay management do respond to posts on there regularly.

Fingers crossed it is resolved when we go. Both previous stays I have seen the odd person in the river with a drink but no cups or food on the side.

There have been numerous glowing reports on Cbay since it opened.

Maybe the rush of spring break and Easter break filled the hotel up and staff could not keep up with it?
i'm baffled and can only think that the hotel was understaffed and rooms were full.

The manager has been contacted and hopefully the situation the op encountered won't happen again to others.

I did look at the UO job opportunity online.
Many positions are open and starting at $10 an hour pay, I'm guessing they will fill them.

dsdeleon, I'm sorry you went through all of the issues at the hotel. :hug:
I have had the same thing happen to me during a Disney stay on site before.
It's just maddening to have to go through that.

If you can stay onsite at the darkside again, go for the deluxe hotels.
You won't have issues like you did at Cbay.
but for some reason if you did, it would be handled immediately.

Was a little worried when I read the OP comments - I really hope that CBH hasn't had a dip in standards - we LOVED it last June and cant wait to go back again this September - and we have stayed at all of the Universal hotels.
Good to know that these issues have been raised with management though to give them a chance to sort things out (before we turn up:rolleyes1:rolleyes1)

i'm hopeful that the management has been informed of the one person's experience, they would be on top of all things and not let it happen again.

We went for dinner during our April 2015 stay just to check it out (we were staying at RPR). We were not impressed. The lobby was a ghost town with one or two employees working. The food court was painfully slow. I just didn't like the vibe. I know the place gets rave reviews (especially from the podcast team) so I just figured I was missing something. I have stayed in Disney values and I like them but my initial impression of CB (albeit not as a guest) was tepid at best.

I have been a couple times and always walk away pleased. When I went to Pop century instead of CB, Pop century paled in comparison. I have only seen a piece of trash once and that was a beer can on the small island in the middle of the lazy river. I watched staff as they cleaned the beach area of the Lazy river pool rather thoroughly. So maybe it was a slip up. Go read Trip advisor as well if you are not sure. I always check trip advisors recent reports to see if there are issues at the hotel.

I had heard bad housekeeping rumors when it first opened but never saw it. All the housekeepers we had were there early to clean our room. Hopefully this quality has not fallen. We really love this hotel.

Last edited:
There were a few issues with our room when we stayed recently, April 18-23. We had two rooms and one room had zero issues. The other room had a few issues though. I didn't tell them of a couple until I filled out the survey - there was used soap and a piece of garbage on the floor when we checked into the room - but the other things were things that needed to be fixed and they fixed them very promptly. (I called them at 9pm and they were going to send someone up but the kids were in bed so I told them to wait. They came and fixed them the next day while we were at the parks). So, it seemed to me that we got a bad room that the housekeeper hadn't cleaned properly and hadn't noticed that some things were broken that needed to be fixed.

As for comparing it to RPR, that's where we usually stay and the rooms at CB were at step down - but great for a value hotel and for what we paid. (We got it for about $94 a night per a room pre-taxes. For that rate, I expect it to not be as nice as RPR).

As for housekeeping issues, my worse housekeeping issues ever were at Animal Kingdom Lodge - which is supposed to be a deluxe category for Disney. We had many, many problems but I think I kept complaining to the wrong people and things didn't get fixed. CB worked hard to fix what was wrong which is a lot more than AKL did.

*We had no issues at the pool other than people smoking in non-smoking areas near the pool. We went to the pool five times during our visit there.

There were a few issues with our room when we stayed recently, April 18-23. We had two rooms and one room had zero issues. The other room had a few issues though. I didn't tell them of a couple until I filled out the survey - there was used soap and a piece of garbage on the floor when we checked into the room - but the other things were things that needed to be fixed and they fixed them very promptly. (I called them at 9pm and they were going to send someone up but the kids were in bed so I told them to wait. They came and fixed them the next day while we were at the parks). So, it seemed to me that we got a bad room that the housekeeper hadn't cleaned properly and hadn't noticed that some things were broken that needed to be fixed.

As for comparing it to RPR, that's where we usually stay and the rooms at CB were at step down - but great for a value hotel and for what we paid. (We got it for about $94 a night per a room pre-taxes. For that rate, I expect it to not be as nice as RPR).

As for housekeeping issues, my worse housekeeping issues ever were at Animal Kingdom Lodge - which is supposed to be a deluxe category for Disney. We had many, many problems but I think I kept complaining to the wrong people and things didn't get fixed. CB worked hard to fix what was wrong which is a lot more than AKL did.

*We had no issues at the pool other than people smoking in non-smoking areas near the pool. We went to the pool five times during our visit there.
Oh no! I hope the people smoking in non-designated areas was an isolated incident. I'm really allergic to smoke and get asthma attacks from the smallest amount of smoke. Did staff tell them to go and smoke in the proper area or do they ignore it like Disney does? I can't tell you how many times I've had to alert CM's about the smokers smoking wherever they please.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter