• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you more of a card or a cash kind of person?

I have managed to save quite a bit over the years by saving change. Especially now that the credit union we go to has a free change machine

us too! we still have one of those mutant water cooler bottles that we throw the occasional change we get in but when our kids were young/cash was more frequently used it got allot more action b/c that was the vacation jug. any change in our pockets/my purse got tossed in at the end of the day to be taken to the credit union and cashed in before whatever vacation we were planning. it was amazing how much accumulated-i clearly remember having to use a rolling suitcase to schlep that bottle to the credit union at one point :rotfl: they sighed but also said it was not the worst presentation/most coinage in one visit they had encountered.

I used to always use a card. Starting to use cash more. Small mom and pop shop, I use cash so they don’t have to pay the fee. I have also started using cash at quick serve type restaurants to avoid the over excessive tipping situation. Took my daughter to a frozen yogurt place and the starting suggested tip was 25%. Um, we did all the work. All they did was spin the tablet so I could sign it and give a tip.

Both, and I still write checks.

Every time we charge something the ultra rich get richer on the fees. You spend $100 with a small business, they get $97, they spend the $97 and the next vendor only gets $94, and so on until "we", the average consumer, has had the money whittled down to nothing.

Credit cards / debit cards are super convenient and I love my points, but they are one of the things eating away at our collective cash flow.

Card, and more specifically, if I can use Apple Pay.

Haven't had an issue with card skimmers since the invention of Apple Pay.

Luckily, I married a fella who usually has cash on him! I try to, but I never remember to get more when I use it. Go figure.
I am seeing more and more merchants with signs that say "We No Longer Take Apple Pay". Has something changed that is causing merchants to drop them?

I still write checks.

me too. not allot but for certain things i want a hard copy for proof of payment on AND don't want to be hit with a 'convenience fee' for. i pay my property taxes twice a year by check (2.65% of the amount of payment as fee if i used debit or credit card :crazy2: ).

I used to always use a card. Starting to use cash more. Small mom and pop shop, I use cash so they don’t have to pay the fee. I have also started using cash at quick serve type restaurants to avoid the over excessive tipping situation. Took my daughter to a frozen yogurt place and the starting suggested tip was 25%. Um, we did all the work. All they did was spin the tablet so I could sign it and give a tip.
At our State Fair last year the fair had a card only policy for tickets and parking. The venders all wanted cash to avoid the cc fee.

I work in semi fast food. Don’t feel guilty about not tipping. For the most part no one does. Every so often someone leaves a big tip, but of the few who do tip it is normally only a dollar or 2. At the local pizza pub I normally drop a dollar or 2 in the tip jar if we are ordering at the counter. We give the bartender 20% of what we order from her.

I use cards most of the time, but always have cash in my wallet. My mama told me that a lady should always carry a little cash.

I use cards most of the time, but always have cash in my wallet. My mama told me that a lady should always carry a little cash.
Whenever my daughter goes on a date she makes sure to have enough to cover her own meal. You never know what can happen in this day and age

Canada got rid of pennies years ago.
Surprised USA still has them.
Wow they still used them in October 2019 when I was last up. Well, at least in Victoria in all the tourist areas. U.S. or Canadian. Although I did use my credit card at Butchart Gardens.

Wow they still used them in October 2019 when I was last up. Well, at least in Victoria in all the tourist areas. U.S. or Canadian. Although I did use my credit card at Butchart Gardens.
They were not around in 2019 lol. They haven't been around for at least 10 years. Retailers round up/down if accepting cash.

ETA - Looked it up and they ceased being produced in 2012. Were withdrawn from circulation in 2013.

They were not around in 2019 lol. They haven't been around for at least 10 years. Retailers round up/down if accepting cash.

ETA - Looked it up and they ceased being produced in 2012. Were withdrawn from circulation in 2013.
Probably still taken for the reason I stated, a tourist area with lots of Americans with pennies. And Canadian pennies are still legal tender. They accepted my $1 paper Canadian dollar bills too. But apparently after 2021 they no longer have to accept them. I was there in 2019.
https://cba.ca/phasing-out-the-penny-in-canada

Mine, too. That was before Uber and smartphones. I came of age when payphones changed from using dimes to a quarter, lol.

Probably still taken for the reason I stated, a tourist area with lots of Americans with pennies. And Canadian pennies are still legal tender. They accepted my $1 paper Canadian dollar bills too. But apparently after 2021 they no longer have to accept them. I was there in 2019.
https://cba.ca/phasing-out-the-penny-in-canada

It’s been a while since we’ve had an entry in the ongoing series Americans teaching Canadians about Canada.

*mostly said in jest. Mostly.

It’s been a while since we’ve had an entry in the ongoing series Americans teaching Canadians about Canada.

*mostly said in jest. Mostly.
Or in this case, American in Canada reporting what he experienced first hand. But again, it was a tourist area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter