Are you nervous about cruising now due to war in Ukraine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneYE

DIS Veteran
Me, so far no.
But I feel that once war starts things can spiral out of control real fast.
With a cruise coming up in 8 days I'm getting March 2020 vibes when the pandemic was just starting and the WBPC became a s***show.

It'll be real chilling if it goes full blown with other countries getting involved in fighting and we're in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

I hate going on a cruise with a sense of anxiety in the back of my mind.

As someone who lives in Europe, I'm not at all worried that whats happening in Ukraine will affect my day to day life or travel in Europe or travel to USA. The only thing, as far as I can see is that there are 2 DCL which it could affect
  1. July 30th, 2022 - 11-Night Northern Europe Cruise from Dover to Copenhagen (Amsterdam, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Nynashamn, Riga)
  2. August 10th, 2022 - 7-Night Northern Europe Cruise from Copenhagen (Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm)
Other than these 2 cruises, which have stops in St Petersburg, I don't think that DCL will have any other changes to their scheduled cruises due to the events in Ukraine.

Theres been conflicts and wars in that area since 2014 and while the new escalation is disturbing and horrific for the people of Ukraine, its not something that will have an impact on day to day life for the rest of Europe.

It reminds me of many years ago, when The Troubles were in Northern Ireland, which was basically a war, with bombing and shootings a daily occurrence. I live in Dublin, 2 hours drive from Belfast, and what was happening had no effect on my day to day life, other than watching it on the TV news like everyone else.

Me, so far no.
But I feel that once war starts things can spiral out of control real fast.
With a cruise coming up in 8 days I'm getting March 2020 vibes when the pandemic was just starting and the WBPC became a s***show.

It'll be real chilling if it goes full blown with other countries getting involved in fighting and we're in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

I hate going on a cruise with a sense of anxiety in the back of my mind.
At present the war’s in a confined area and NATO seems resolute in not fighting the conflict themselves so I don’t think there’s anything to worry about unless you’re on the Northern Europe sailings which I could see being affected.

Looks like the Enchanted Princess on April 9th is the first Baltic cruise of the season so one to watch for any changes as it is due to stop in St Petersburg and Tallinn.

Yeah….sailing on March 19th. I just was hoping that my anxiety could be contained to testing positive at the port after 2 years if not doing much of anything.

And I’m also just sad for Ukraine. We were all just trying to get back to normal after Covid.

A cruise ship is probably one of the safest places to be since the captain can set course on the fly for wherever is safest. In the worst case scenario, Putin’s nukes will be targeting places like NYC and DC, not Disney cruise ships.

Not worried about nukes. Won't happen, but in the extreme case it does we're all toast no matter where we are, even in the middle of the Caribbean.
I'm more worried about Putin getting cornered by a massive financial choke from Europe/Western world and he'll do something stupid like a massive cyber attack on financial/infrastructure and banks getting shut down for a while so ppl find themselves stranded without a chance to get back home.

I'll be taking 5x the cash I normally do to our upcoming cruise. Just in case banks/cc's aren't available.

A cruise ship is probably one of the safest places to be since the captain can set course on the fly for wherever is safest. In the worst case scenario, Putin’s nukes will be targeting places like NYC and DC, not Disney cruise ships.
Well, not sure how old you were when the MS Achille Lauro incident happened in 1985, but not sure I agree..

NCL has sent out an email according to another board to say all Russian stops for the rest of the year have been cancelled and they’re looking to replace with another port (but no details on this as of yet).

I don't see how it affects any itinerary that doesn't include Ukraine or Russia. I would expect St. Petersburg stops to be removed if it continues

As others have said, this should have zero impact on anything cruise related except ones with itineraries in that area. I know it's a serious situation but people jumping on the WWIII train should take a break from the news and take a breather. I'm more worried about the at the port covid testing for our late March cruise!!

No. Not worried at all. Our next cruise is a Western Caribbean itinerary out of Port Canaveral in early April. Can't see how the current situation in the Ukraine might affect that.

Well, not sure how old you were when the MS Achille Lauro incident happened in 1985, but not sure I agree..
Back then the luggage of cruise ship passengers was not screened, which is how the terrorists were able to bring a veritable armory of machine guns and grenades on board, This would be impossible with today's security protocols.

In general, I wouldn't be worried. However, St. Petersburg is definitely the highlight of a Baltic cruise. No stop there and I'd be canceling.

ETA - NCL has canceled all stops at St. Petersburg for this year. I believe Princess has as well.

Last edited:
Got to say I had enough ( I worry a lot ) worries with covid test before leaving home ..and the one onboard and not be positive
now you had this needless to say I am a nerve wreck
don’t get me wrong I feel deeply for all who are innocent humans involve in this

but cannot help to worry ..worry on what could happen bego or while I am onboard
and being stuck not able to get back home ( Canada )

i am so looking forward to this cruise and now another thing to worry about

Got to say I had enough ( I worry a lot ) worries with covid test before leaving home ..and the one onboard and not be positive
now you had this needless to say I am a nerve wreck
don’t get me wrong I feel deeply for all who are innocent humans involve in this

but cannot help to worry ..worry on what could happen bego or while I am onboard
and being stuck not able to get back home ( Canada )

i am so looking forward to this cruise and now another thing to worry about

plus I might had bought a VGT category chose this time around to choose that type 🙃so no cancelling nor refunding

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter