Are You Willing to Pay 10 Cent per Plastic Bag?

I've got some reusable shopping bags. One's a good, heavy cotton duck from Trader Joe's; the other two are homemade bags that found their way to the thrift, but are shaped perfectly for their purpose. I've also bought some of those paper/cloth bags in the past that fold up, and those are floating around, but I don't like them, and I've got 2 cold bags as well.

I don't use them (except for the cold storage bags) because I use up all the plastic bags that come into my house and sometimes, in fact, choose where I grocery shop by how good their plastic bags are. If stores charged .05 a bag, I'd probably just swap over and buy plastic bags of my own choosing that size instead and use my shopping totes, which are easier to handle, when I shop.

I use shopping bags for bin liners, pet waste, wrapping things up for shipping, liner/cushions for things I store in the attic and to store dirty clothes coming back from camping or hiking (wet, stinky with sweat and dripping mud and dirt). I never throw away a shopping bag, even if it is split, because I know I have a use for it. There are patterns online to crochet and knit bags out of shopping bags, and I admit, I've thought about doing this, but I don't have any shopping bags to spare!

I bring reusable bags most places but I do sometimes leave them home when I'm at Target. The Target plastic bags are very good for cat litter waste (clumping kind) and lining the bathroom trash cans. I do not like to pay convenience fees most places, so I would probably not support the bill.

I have my resuable bags (the plastic ones made from old soda bottles) and I love them. The store pays 5 cents for every reusable bag you use, so that's good. I also have 2 large ones (same as above) that I got at Bed Bath and Beyond and TJ Maxx ---- they're nice and big and great for putting all the light stuff in (bread, etc) because you can fit a ton of stuff in them.

Give me a biodegradable paper bag anytime.
I am not a fan of reusable bags.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We still have paper bags available, but you have to ask for them.
And we reuse those bags in our trash cans instead of plastic trash bags.
Just fold down the top inch and they stay open rather nicely in the trash can.

Parts of Seattle do this as well.

I have no problem with it.

90% of my grocery shopping is at Costco anyway, where bags are not provided. I also shop at Aldi where you have to pay for a bag if you use one.

What I NEED to start doing is keeping large totes (plastic kind) in my car as I shop in bulk and these would be far better than bags to put my food in the trunk anyway. Right now I end up getting a cardboard box if they have one, or just stacking in my trunk.

I do have a couple of bags like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Shop...UTF8&qid=1380201268&sr=8-1&keywords=chico+bag

Dawn

I use shopping bags for bin liners, pet waste, wrapping things up for shipping, liner/cushions for things I store in the attic and to store dirty clothes coming back from camping or hiking (wet, stinky with sweat and dripping mud and dirt). I never throw away a shopping bag, even if it is split, because I know I have a use for it. There are patterns online to crochet and knit bags out of shopping bags, and I admit, I've thought about doing this, but I don't have any shopping bags to spare!

This. I have tons of reusable bags but I use every.single.plastic.bag I have. In addition to using them for pet waste and pail liners, I sell a lot of clothes at the flea market and the people need bags to put their clothes in.

Absolutely. Our grocery knocks off a nickel per reusable bag you bring in, and that really helped me get in the habit of using them. A charge for disposables would accomplish the same thing. MrsPete, I bring my 12yo DD grocery shopping with me just to counter the horrible bagging they offer. The bags are so thin now that I think they have to do things that way - I used to reuse grocery bags for my small garbage cans in the bathrooms and office but now they split as often as not. But my big gripe is that they don't load up reusable bags anywhere near capacity. They treat them almost like plastic, plus they try to wrap anything breakable and any meats in plastic before putting them into the reusables, which defeats the whole point. My bags are washable and they're strong (I make them out of old jeans, tees, and other cast-offs/thrift store finds) - I want them packed to the brim so I don't need ANY plastic. So I bring along my own bagger.
Colleen I was just telling my husband how much I hate the baggers when I bring my reusable bags. They don't know how to bag them. Last time I had to tell the nagger please put everything in my bag it will all fit. I ended up going over and doing it myself. It drives me up the wall that I bring my bags in yet they don't bag them right.

We are rough on the reusable bags.... I can't tell you how many re-usable bags only lasted us a month.
I can't justify the cost of reusable bags.

Absolutely. I bring re-usable bags most places but sometimes forget. If I get plastic I do save it and use it for garbage etc. But yes I would pay extra for plastic. It would help me remember my reusable bags. CVS used to give a 25 cents credit and when you got 4 they gave you a dollar in extra bucks. That was a good incentive but has been discontinued.

Colleen I was just telling my husband how much I hate the baggers when I bring my reusable bags. They don't know how to bag them. Last time I had to tell the nagger please put everything in my bag it will all fit. I ended up going over and doing it myself. It drives me up the wall that I bring my bags in yet they don't bag them right.

I learned from my mother years ago how to pack a grocery bag. Right? You did, too. You put heavy things on the bottom, balancing weight between bags. Build the sides with sturdy rectangular shapes, top the bag with produce, eggs, bread and meat.

I go in to anywhere that bags (I'd rather bag my own) and people who bag for a (admittedly small) living don't know how to pack a grocery bag - and part of it is the plastic bags - which don't pack neatly due to their shape and size.

To the OP, I'd support a ban on the darn things - we reuse ours as well - poopy scooping the yard, trash liners in the bathroom, kitty litter, but I could not line my trash and rinse the cans out once in a while, poopy scooping can be done in a paper bag which discomposes, and so can kitty litter. In absence of a ban, paying for them would help. Stores can provide paper bags.

MrsPete, I bring my 12yo DD grocery shopping with me just to counter the horrible bagging they offer. The bags are so thin now that I think they have to do things that way - I used to reuse grocery bags for my small garbage cans in the bathrooms and office but now they split as often as not
Yeah, that's one reason I like to shop at Aldi's: I like bagging my own stuff.

I only save Target bags for my trash cans. The other stores' bags are just too thin.
that being said i know packaging costs $ and why not just pass it on to the consumer? :goodvibes
I've always assumed that the cost of packaging -- along with the cost of electricity, staff, etc. is all passed along to the consumer in the form of high prices.

What I NEED to start doing is keeping large totes (plastic kind) in my car as I shop in bulk and these would be far better than bags to put my food in the trunk anyway.
I like that idea.
I go in to anywhere that bags (I'd rather bag my own) and people who bag for a (admittedly small) living don't know how to pack a grocery bag - and part of it is the plastic bags - which don't pack neatly due to their shape and size.
I think they KNOW how to do it. They just don't care to take their time and do a good job of it. They're not rewarded in any way for bagging well; in fact, their supervisors are probably faster to reward them for speed, which may be the exact opposite of quality bagging.

I would prefer a ban on plastic bags, but charging for them is almost as good. I think it would get people to start thinking about bringing their own. 10 cents might not be enough, though...for most that would only add on 50c to $1.00 for a large grocery shopping trip. I don't see why people would not shop at a place that didn't provide free bags...what about Costco? They don't provide bags (only boxes that can be a pain to get rid of once you get home).

Reusable bags aren't unsanitary...WASH THEM. I have a mixture of different bags: some are cotton, some are a recycles plastic feeling type. Even the ones that say not to wash...still go in the washing machine on gentle and they're fine. I air dry them. My favorite bags are from REI because they have 2 sets of handles, one long set for throwing over your shoulder, and a set of short handles for carrying in your hand. Love them! They are similar in material to the Trader Joe's bags.

I carry about 10 bags with me when I go grocery shopping. Some people may not know that reusable bags hold WAY more stuff, so you need less bags. They are sturdy, easier to carry, and are more kind to the environment than plastic bags. I started using them to be more eco-friendly, but I fell in love with them because they are way better than plastic bags. If I forget to bring my bags, I ask for a paper bag or I carry my 2-3 items without a bag at all.

They also make reusable produce bags. :)

I have family members that use disposable diapers (yuck) and they wrap each poopy diaper in a plastic store bag (Walmart, produce, etc)...it literally made me sick to my stomach seeing them do that...as if disposable diapers aren't bad enough already.

No I am not. And I don't like reusable bags. I don't want my raw meat in a bag that I may use for something else later. That just makes me sick.

And Sorry but I have enough laundry to do, and besides I am just wasting more water,and energy washing more bags.

Luckily, no one around her charges anything for using plastic bags. And our bagger know how to bag, at least most of the ones where I shop.

I usually bag my own so I can bag them like I want to. Otherwise, I load the belt to help the bagging. Lightweight stuff together. cold stuff together, boxed items together.

And I launder my reusable canvas bags. Got them from my son's enviromental club when he was in HS and still using them four years later. They still look like new.

I usually bag my own so I can bag them like I want to. Otherwise, I load the belt to help the bagging. Lightweight stuff together. cold stuff together, boxed items together. And I launder my reusable canvas bags. Got them from my son's enviromental club when he was in HS and still using them four years later. They still look like new.

I do that also yet they still don't bag them right. Not sure how to get them to do it right when in place the stuff in order.

No I am not. And I don't like reusable bags. I don't want my raw meat in a bag that I may use for something else later. That just makes me sick.
And Sorry but I have enough laundry to do, and besides I am just wasting more water,and energy washing more bags.

Luckily, no one around her charges anything for using plastic bags. And our bagger know how to bag, at least most of the ones where I shop.

If I buy meat, I'll put it in a plastic bag before putting it in my resusable (plastic bottle recycled) bag. They can charge me the 10 cents for the plastic bag and give me back 5 cents for using the reusable.

The plastic resusable bags (the ones made from recycled plastic bottles) can easily be cleaned with either a disinfectant wipe or with Mr Clean or some other antibacterial cleanser. I don't tend to put "wet" items in them, so mine don't really get too dirty. (i put my 'wet' items in plastic and then in my bag ---- reason being is that it's easier to carry the reusable bags up 2 flights than it is to carry plastic or paper)

I usually bag my own so I can bag them like I want to. Otherwise, I load the belt to help the bagging. Lightweight stuff together. cold stuff together, boxed items together.

And I launder my reusable canvas bags. Got them from my son's enviromental club when he was in HS and still using them four years later. They still look like new.

I always bag my own. Even when you put the stuff on the belt in "common sense" order, they still mess it up.

The baggers at my local grocery store already know I like to bag my own so when they see me, they just move on to another register.

I try to bring my own bags but I do not always. I know that I have saved over 100 plastic bags this year because they do not fall apart and hold alot.

On the other hand as a worker who occasionally checks people out at a store some of your comments are offensive. I am careful to bag cold items together, frozen items together, meats and breads together.

When customers come through I used to ask if they wanted their milk in a bag. I thought it was a crazy question. I was wrong. People were nasty when I asked if they wanted a bag for their milk. I also am disgusted when I go shopping and the cashier puts my meat, bread and chemicals in one bag.

I agree with the PP who said that they put like items together on the belt. If you go through my line they will be bagged together. However when I go shopping they are not bagged together despite my careful sorting.

If you feel the cashier is not bagging your items correctly tell her I am sure she has been corrected many Times already that day. What is a heavy bag to a senior citizen on the bus is half empty to an environmentalist. It is up to you. Just remember that chemicals and meats do on occasion leak and you could lose all your purchases by putting them in one bag.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We still have paper bags available, but you have to ask for them.
And we reuse those bags in our trash cans instead of plastic trash bags.
Just fold down the top inch and they stay open rather nicely in the trash can.

I will add that my wife religiously saves any plastic bags we do get, and takes them to the bag recycling bin at our grocery store.

We put our meat in those lined (resuable) lunch totes. Then when you get home it goes in the dishwasher (the bag not the meat).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter