Upgrades At FW

jimmytammy

<font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br
Found this on Rumors and News. Thought it may be of interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Quote:
Disney upgrades Fort Wilderness Campground
Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
August 25, 2008

Roughing it is not what it used to be, especially at Walt Disney World's Fort Wilderness Campground.

Disney is quietly undertaking its broadest campground-improvements program in two decades, adding extra-extra-large camper pads for recreational vehicles, cable-TV and Internet service throughout, Segway scooter tours, a mini-water park, a dog park, and an improved electric-cart rental operation.

The program also is taking aim at invasive plant species such as potato vines, replacing such vegetation with fresh native plantings.

"The fort is a treasure at Walt Disney World. There really is so much history with the success of Walt Disney World that stems back to Fort Wilderness," said Jean Gallagher, general manager of both Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort Campground. "And because of the nature of this property, and the theming, we really haven't done a lot of changes. ... We have not made a lot of investment from a site perspective in the 37 years we've been open. So this opportunity to meet what our guests are asking for, and how the industry has changed, this is more than we could expect."

Never mind the people who cannot leave work behind, even in a campground, and feel a constant need to check e-mail, news and market updates on a regular basis. For today's teens and pre-teens, roughing it without the Internet is often going too far. That's why even veteran campers like Matthew McKown, 15, and his sisters Caroline, 13, and Nicole, 10, from Charleston, S.C., all said they missed having an Internet connection during their latest stay at Fort Wilderness a couple weeks ago, and look forward to having it next year. Their father, Phillip McKown, however, was less interested in the cable and Internet connections, still preferring to keep some semblance of being able to get away from the real world.

"It adds to the experience, camping here," he said. "It's like camping and you get to go to the parks. Going to a hotel room is just like going to a hotel room."

Linda Profaizer, president and chief executive officer of the National Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds, praised Disney's efforts to upgrade Fort Wilderness, saying her recent visits had told her it was time for some updating.

"It's a great property, but the sites are older," Profaizer said.

In particular, she said, campers' appetite for Internet service and cable TV has been growing for several years.

"All the parks do that today; it's very much a required service. It's a great thing to do," Profaizer said.

Do TV and Internet hookups at every campsite detract from a desire to get away from it all?

"Sadly, here's the deal," Profaizer said: "People want to be connected no matter what. You have to offer what the people expect."

Disney is also catching up with the trend toward larger RVs. The rolling vacation homes, which now often exceed 40 feet in length, have become wider in recent years, too, thanks to the popularity of "slide outs," those room extensions that pull out from the sides when the vehicle is parked.

For that reason, Disney is creating areas with what it calls "premium campsites," which will include much larger paved pads plus upgraded amenities such as grills and picnic tables. Those sites will cost $66 to $116 a night, depending on the season and day of the week.

Disney also is adding a themed water-slide and splash-zone attraction to The Meadows area pool. Fort Wilderness abuts River Country, Disney World's original water park, which closed a few years ago. Now designers and engineers are looking over what's left of that park, and they're thinking about moving and recycling the park's signature water tower to the Fort Wilderness pool and building a slide into it.

The Fort Wilderness overhaul comes as the industry wonders about what near-record-high gas prices will do to RV camping.

"For years we've been telling everybody you have to expand your sites because the industry is building the larger RVs in larger numbers. Now with the gas situation, we're wondering," Profaizer said. "We're wondering, No.1, will the manufacturers continue to build the big units? And two, the consumer, is that what people will still be wanting?"

For now, she said, the question is moot. There are plenty of house-size RVs on the road, so campgrounds need to accommodate them.

Disney does not release occupancy numbers for its individual resorts. But while Fort Wilderness seems as vulnerable as any resort to consumers' reactions to gas prices, the campground appeared to be holding its own, at least last year, according to remarks made by Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger during an earnings call last fall.

"We have a big RV park in Orlando, and I would think that they would be hit the hardest, because it's pretty expensive to fill up a tank in one of those babies," Iger told investors. Yet "those parks have been completely full. And there's demand going forward from a bookings perspective."

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

Found this on Rumors and News.

Disney also is adding a themed water-slide and splash-zone attraction to The Meadows area pool. Fort Wilderness abuts River Country, Disney World's original water park, which closed a few years ago. Now designers and engineers are looking over what's left of that park, and they're thinking about moving and recycling the park's signature water tower to the Fort Wilderness pool and building a slide into it.

"We have a big RV park in Orlando, and I would think that they would be hit the hardest, because it's pretty expensive to fill up a tank in one of those babies," Iger told investors. Yet "those parks have been completely full. And there's demand going forward from a bookings perspective."

WOW, finally some details on the pool upgrades! Possibly using parts of River Country and moving them to the meadows sounds pretty cool. :banana:

YES, Mr Iger build more sites it is too hard to get a ressie! :rolleyes1

It (the pool renovation) sounds like a big project. I'd hate to get there and find that it was not quite open yet. I suppose that is why they don't release any solid hints of completion dates. We'll be there at the end of May, and keeping our fingers crossed :cool1: !!

I wonder what they're planning on doing with the golf carts? They mention an improved rental cart operation. I wonder what they have in mind?

Cheaper? Doubt it.

Easier to get in and out of the rental place? Hope so.

Different carts? Doubt it, they're not bad, pretty standard golf carts.

Just curious as to how much they could change this. I really can't think of many complaints besides price, availability (those who didn't reserve) and pick-up drop-off amount of time. The first two apply to many things Disney so not sure they'd change them. So I guess that leaves the pick-up and drop-off procedures. Not sure how they could speed those up unless they had either lots more carts or lots more CM's working there.

Thoughts?

They are moving the cart rentals to the front near the Outpost Depot. I don't really know what this will improve, but that's the big part of the change.

We had two separate threads going about the same article, so I merged them. :)

They are moving the cart rentals to the front near the Outpost Depot. I don't really know what this will improve, but that's the big part of the change.

Returned from FW in Friday. The Golf Carts are already there by the bus drop-off, pick-up.

Ah, well that makes some sense. You could stop and check in and get your cart at the same time. Would prevent the usual dance, or Golf Cart Cha-Cha, where you get to the cabin and then two people have to drive to over get the cart.

And maybe it was just me, but the first time there I drove around and around looking for the road that led to the Cart Shack, before finding out there isn't one, you have to walk or bike to get there.

Ah, well that makes some sense. You could stop and check in and get your cart at the same time. Would prevent the usual dance, or Golf Cart Cha-Cha, where you get to the cabin and then two people have to drive to over get the cart.

And maybe it was just me, but the first time there I drove around and around looking for the road that led to the Cart Shack, before finding out there isn't one, you have to walk or bike to get there.

The change is also to facilitate charging, cleaning, fixing, and maintaining the carts for check in and out. They are building 80 sites for plug in electric to charge them while they are prepping them to be re-rented.

I believe that the River Country Water Tank they are considering moving to the pool is originally from the Fort Wilderness Railroad and was moved to River Country after the Railroad's closure (maybe a FWRR historian can correct me). It would be wonderful to have a piece of the Fort's history in such a prominent location.

I'm all for it! :thumbsup2

Bama ED

I believe that the River Country Water Tank they are considering moving to the pool is originally from the Fort Wilderness Railroad and was moved to River Country after the Railroad's closure (maybe a FWRR histIt would be wonderful to have a piece of the Fort's history in such a prominent location.

Bama ED

I agree with that Ed. I never got to go to RC but man I wish I would have.

I believe that the River Country Water Tank they are considering moving to the pool is originally from the Fort Wilderness Railroad and was moved to River Country after the Railroad's closure (maybe a FWRR historian can correct me). It would be wonderful to have a piece of the Fort's history in such a prominent location.

Bama ED
I don't think so. River Country opened in 1976 and the railroad ran until 1979 or 1980. The water tower would have to have been at the RR at least that long. Remember, the RR was the main source of transportation form the parking lot to RC when it opened.

3atstation.JPG
Here is the water tower at the Gateway Depot (i.e. out front by the reception outpost).

All thus discussion may be a moot point. I just read a report that a boycott has been threatened if the existing infrastructure of River Country is dismantled or disturbed. Disney execs were shaken by the potential impact that this powerful lobby might bring and are apparently rethinking the concept, despite hundreds of development hours.

OtterCountry.jpg

The revenue loss from Fort Wilderness alone due to the lack of "cute antics" provided by this lobby may well cause a course correction.

All thus discussion may be a moot point. I just read a report that a boycott has been threatened if the existing infrastructure of River Country is dismantled or disturbed. Disney execs were shaken by the potential impact that this powerful lobby might bring and are apparently rethinking the concept, despite hundreds of development hours.

OtterCountry.jpg

The revenue loss from Fort Wilderness alone due to the lack of "cute antics" provided by this lobby may well cause a course correction.

The one otter reminds me off my mother's teamster rep.:rotfl2:

I looked on Live Maps Birdseye View and couldn't see a water tower. I wonder if they may be talking about the old freshwater pond slide. That could be done with some effort!
rivercountry-1999.jpg

I swear I had read that somewhere about the water tower. :confused3

Anyway, I also want to say one thing loud and clear! <sarcasm coming>

I don't want any of those lowly Wilderness Lodge people POOL HOPPING over at our neat new pool/slide/splash park. They've got their own pool so they should stay away from us. Oh SURE, it's a couple years old and will be more plain than what we have, but THEY DIDN"T PAY FOR A CAMPSITE/CABIN AT FORT WILDERNESS. If I catch any of them sneaking up the walking trail or in the boat carrying a towel, I'm gonna call SECURITY on them. Maybe we'll have to give out wristbands. I mean, I know some of you will feel sorry for them being trapped indoors in those little rooms and cavernous lobbies while we luxuriate under God's canvas but don'g get soft on me, people. BE VIGILANT! Watch for the interlopers! Loose the otters immediately! Report them to Management! I'm offering a bounty of 1 hour's golf cart rental per varmint trapped. You have my permission to shoot first and ask questions later. :laughing: <sarcasm finished>

Sorry, I just had to let it out :goodvibes

Bama ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter