• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Artist Point

Wazzo

DIS Veteran
Artist Point - Saturday September 9th

I thought the atmosphere here was quite nice. It was very quiet and open. We started with the Crispy Venison Spring Rolls with hot sweet and sour sauce. BUT, alas, I forgot to take a picture. We got two rolls, and the presentation was lacking... so I think I didn't think to take a picture. It was just the rolls on the plate.

The rolls were okay. The vension was very "thick". I'm not sure how else to describe it, and they didn't have much flavour. I liked the hot sweet and sour sauce that came with it though!

For my main meal, I chose the Signature Plate of Cedar Plank Roasted Wild King Salmon with Summer Vegetables, Herb Dumplings and Sage Brown Butter Vinaigrette:

DSC00982.jpg

It was NOT good. The salmon was almost dry, and it had NO flavour. I used the butter from the bread, and it made it a bit better, but not much. There weren't very many veggies or dumplings either, so I was disappointed. I was glad I was on the free Dining Plan, and didn't really pay $32 for the salmon!

My Mom had the Hatfield Pork Chop on Tillamook Cheddar Mac & Cheese with Maytag Crust:

DSC00983.jpg

It was better than the salmon. The meat was a bit overcooked, but it had a nice flavour. The macaroni and cheese was the best part!

I've decided that I have a weird quality about me... I tend to pick the more expensive restaurants, but all I want are the mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese dishes! :rotfl:

For dessert we chose the Valrhona Chocolate Truffle Cake with Soarin' Honey-Blood Orange Coulis:

DSC00984.jpg

We were a little hesitant about the coulis... I don't love fruit and chocolate together, so the waitress put it on the side for us. The cake was very good! The coulis was nice too, but I was glad they were separate. The cake was rich, but it was good.

Overall, I was glad that we went, since we were staying at the WL, but I wouldn't go back soon. There are too many other places to try!! Our server was excellent though, and I did like the restaurant itself.

Rating: :artist: :artist: (Two (and MAYBE a half) out of five Artists)

I felt the same way about Artists Point. I didn't enjoy the salmon at all! The overall experience was good, but at the prices they were charging I won't be hurrying back.

Melissa

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

OK - maybe it's just the picture, but that is one very small piece of salmon. That looks like the frozen salmon I buy at SAMs and throw on the grill. The salmon I had at 50's prime time was almost twice that size and delicious - probably one of the best I've ever had. It almost melted in my mouth.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words and that one did just spoke to me.

Max is my favorite cat! :love:

MEK said:
OK - maybe it's just the picture, but that is one very small piece of salmon. That looks like the frozen salmon I buy at SAMs and throw on the grill. The salmon I had at 50's prime time was almost twice that size and delicious - probably one of the best I've ever had. It almost melted in my mouth.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words and that one did just spoke to me.

Max is my favorite cat! :love:

I agree! I thought it was very small too... especially for $32!! Hurray for the free dining plan!

Sorry to hear that. I think the salmon is becoming a "hit or miss" thing at AP these days. Last time we went mine was undercooked. I wanted to send it back but the server kept saying she was afraid they'd over cook it, well, they should have cooked it right in the first place, (I'm not a big "raw fish" fan). That was the first time I was ever disappointed there and haven't gone back since.

It was a rather nice looking piece, nothing like that photo. I do know they get different types of salmon throughout the year. I believe I had gotten wild king salmon and it was normally very good and a very healthy portion. I can't imagine that photo being the wild king salmon (the scales were much larger).

BTW, if you like mac n cheese, I sure hope you tried JIKO's filet with mac n cheese cause that's incredible!!

We had the buffalo steak when we went, which was pretty tasty and tender. On the whole, though, I just found it difficult to get to the restaurant--we initially missed our ADR the first night because we were planning to take the boat and got delayed by the electrical float parade. The second night we drove, but I have an odd tendency to get lost over on that side, for some reason. Anyway, I just thought the food was good but not good enough to go through the ordeal of trying to get over there again.

I'm wondering if they substituted farm raised salmon during free dining. That picture sure doesn't look like wild salmon to me.

My salmon was also a little dry and dull tasting. I still enjoyed the evening since the wine and dessert was good and the kids were in the kids club. We were at the start of free dining but not on the plan, paying OOP.

My experience in August was much different - I was asked how I wanted my salmon cooked - I asked for medium and got medium. It was excellent and I like to think I know my salmon. I started with the smoky portobello mushroom soup and it too was excellent. I shared one of the venison spring rolls and enjoyed that too! By the time dessert came around I could not eat more than a bite of each of the coffee three ways. Sorry if other peoples' experiences were different but we rated AP the best TS on our 14 day trip with free dining.

I'm glad I cancelled our ADRS here for Thanksgiving after I found out about how much they were charging. The food doesn't look that wonderful in the photos and the portions don't look very large either. We decided to pay a lot less and have all we can eat at a buffet!

Can you describe the maytag crust?

Sorry your salmon was icky, I guess AP was having an off night. Did they still have the salad with pears & blue cheese on the menu? that was YUM!

Again, sorry your experience at Artist Point wasn't so great. We had the best meal of our trip there in May and it is the one restaurant that we are going back to on our Christmas trip. I had the salmon as part of the chefs menu and it was really lovely.

I too am sorry your experience was less than stellar-DH and I had the best meal of all our trips there! That was in May, and we eat out alot at trendier gourmet spots-this was an awesome meal! This ranked higher to me than the caifornia grill and we est there at least each trip-more for the view of the fireworks than anything else.LOL Ithink this is one of the best restaurants in WDW. Angel

Cass said:
Can you describe the maytag crust?

Sorry your salmon was icky, I guess AP was having an off night. Did they still have the salad with pears & blue cheese on the menu? that was YUM!

The macaroni and cheese had a sort of "crunchy" top. I'm assuming that is what is was, since there was no crust on the pork. It was good!

Quinn222 said:
I'm wondering if they substituted farm raised salmon during free dining. That picture sure doesn't look like wild salmon to me.

Menu specifies whether the salmon is wild caught or farm raised. AP only uses farm raised when it cannot obtain wild caught fresh (not frozen). The salmon is currently wild caught.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter