As feared Forbidden Journey is Not for Many

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went last night. The area was packed, Universal must have done something right with Potter because most wait times were 20+ minutes at 9:30. I tried the test seat outside, no green light this week. But I did see that I'm only about 3/4 of an inch to getting it. The boy handling the test seats outside, David, was very helpful. He told me different ways to hold my body to see if I could get the light;
- Sitting with my shoulders back and touching the back of the seat with my head
- Scooting my butt forward so my torso could compress more, giving the harness more room up top
- Sucking in my gut and crossing my legs to relax my quads

but alas, nothing worked. I had only brought my daughter to the park to ride Hippogriff anyhow, so no big loss. Once I get my man-girdle in tomorrow, I'll try the actual test seats inside, something I have yet to do.

Actually, try the test seat inside. I couldn't get the light to go green outside myself. The TM pushed a tiny bit and went green. But inside I am not pulled aside to check the test seat, and am able to get 3 clicks on my own.

Last night, was my 2nd ride. I noticed that where the restraint was touching me, was the outside of my thighs, where my camera and phone were in my cargo shorts pocket. So if you think you might be close, hand off your stuff to someone else, or put it in the small holder.

They do have the models of their other rides with larger seats to follow, so they could have simply planned as many larger seats as they did for those rides.

Also, the price cannot be "astronomical" as they are going to do it anyway. In fact, I imagine it would have been more cost-effective to do it right the first time rather than go back and fix it.

As for the time element...doing it quick and easy has alienated a good many paying customers. It might have been better business to take a bit more time.

I seriously doubt it was "quick and easy", and boy-oh-boy the bit of complaining we're hearing now is NOTHING to the screaming we'd be hearing if this attraction had been delayed past summer. :eek:

The goal from the owner's perspective is to make as many people happy as possible, while also maximizing profit. Because for every theme park in the world - even Disney! - it's all about profit. And Universal makes a bigger profit by opening in time for this summer season, than they do by putting off the opening in order to accommodate a tiny percentage of riders.

Oh, and of the percentage who can't ride the Forbidden Journey, many will STILL go to the WWOHP just to see all the other attractions (such as the various shows, and the castle walk-through, and the shops). So Universal gets their money anyway.

Here's another point I don't understand.

Imagine, just for a minute, that this isn't about people who are overweight. Imagine that instead, the problem of getting on this ride is based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or sex. (I know it's not because none of those affect safety, but I said IMAGINE.)

Do you think it would be okay because it was just a "small amount of people" compared to the whole? Do you think if it were African Americans who couldn't ride, or Asian Americans ,or Gay people, or Jewish people, that would be okay? I'm betting not.

So why is it okay that it's "just" overweight people? Because they've brought it on themselves? Because they can change it?

First of all, not all overweight people have brought it on themselves. Many are affected by years of habits formed as children through family influence; medical conditions; genetics; or hormonal issues. Not everything is even understood about obesity. If it was cut and dry, weight loss wouldn't be a billions-dollar-a-year business.

As for changing it....don't you think most obese people struggle every day with changing it? What if the change comes slowly? What if it comes so slowly that it's years before a real difference is made? What if because of something chemical you can't change you go to the gym every day, eat 1600 calories a day, take medications, join self-help groups, etc, yet still can't lose the weight?

And what if someone does still bring it on themselves or doesn't work to change it. It's still okay to single them out, because it's not like you're making someone feel bad because they're African American, or Asian American, or Gay, or Jewish?

I think people who believe they are nominally tolerant of others' differences may want to take another look at themselves, based on some of the things I've seen on this board.

Oh, and of the percentage who can't ride the Forbidden Journey, many will STILL go to the WWOHP just to see all the other attractions (such as the various shows, and the castle walk-through, and the shops). So Universal gets their money anyway.

I actually believe at this point that my family will NOT be making a visit to this park, despite who can and can't ride. I wouldn't want to reinforce and promote the obesity epidemic by spending money on butterbeer, cauldron cakes, or the Great Feast.

Imagine, just for a minute, that this isn't about people who are overweight. Imagine that instead, the problem of getting on this ride is based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or sex. (I know it's not because none of those affect safety, but I said IMAGINE.)

Do you think it would be okay because it was just a "small amount of people" compared to the whole? Do you think if it were African Americans who couldn't ride, or Asian Americans ,or Gay people, or Jewish people, that would be okay? I'm betting not.

So why is it okay that it's "just" overweight people? Because they've brought it on themselves? Because they can change it?

First of all, not all overweight people have brought it on themselves. Many are affected by years of habits formed as children through family influence; medical conditions; genetics; or hormonal issues. Not everything is even understood about obesity. If it was cut and dry, weight loss wouldn't be a billions-dollar-a-year business.

As for changing it....don't you think most obese people struggle every day with changing it? What if the change comes slowly? What if it comes so slowly that it's years before a real difference is made? What if because of something chemical you can't change you go to the gym every day, eat 1600 calories a day, take medications, join self-help groups, etc, yet still can't lose the weight?

And what if someone does still bring it on themselves or doesn't work to change it. It's still okay to single them out, because it's not like you're making someone feel bad because they're African American, or Asian American, or Gay, or Jewish?

I think people who believe they are nominally tolerant of others' differences may want to take another look at themselves, based on some of the things I've seen on this board.

It isn't only body size that limits people who can ride this ride. People with back and neck issues, pregnant women, people with prosthetic limbs, people with sensitivity to strobe lights, people who are claustrophobic and people who are prone to motion sickness have issues. Also people who are under 48" can not ride. These are safety regulations.

It's obviously NOT a safety issue if they are now making larger seats. And could have done so from the start to avoid marginalizing a particular group of people.

Wow - do you feel this strongly about the fact that there are height limits on rides, too? I mean, is it also racist intolerance, just because people under a certain number of inches can't ride?

After all, children can grow, but what about dwarfs? THEY didn't choose to be short. How DARE Disney, Universal or any other theme park create rides that don't accommodate short people!

Gentle boat rides for everyone!

I actually believe at this point that my family will NOT be making a visit to this park, despite who can and can't ride. I wouldn't want to reinforce and promote the obesity epidemic by spending money on butterbeer, cauldron cakes, or the Great Feast.

That's probably for the best. I doubt you'd have a very good time. :lmao:

I do feel strongly. I feel strongly because they are now "fixing it." It wasn't important enough for them to worry about at the start, but it's not important enough to "fix it."

That's probably for the best. I doubt you'd have a very good time.

Strangely enough, we manage to have good times in a LOT of places...concert theaters, movie theaters, and all other theme parks. Only this one seems to be causing a problem.

MrsRJLupin first off, I was once over 300lbs, I'm about 260 now I think. And I'm French living in France, which is definitely a country NOT made for 300lbs people. Try getting on a ride at DLP, for one thing.

Anyway, I know what it's like to live with that kind of weight.But you can not expect corporations to cater to your needs. It's not like they made the ride thinking "Hey, let's make this tiny so all those fatties can't ride!! Wouldn't it be fun to pull them out of the queue and humiliate them?Woohoo!! And I bet NO ONE is going to complain!"

I too think that they waited to take care of the larger seats issue so they could open HP earlier and not miss the summer season. But whatever their reason is - the fact is that they don't HAVE to accomodate us larger people.
They're most likely going to do it because they must have gotten a ton (no pun intended) of complaints but it's not a requirement. After all they don't accomodate very short people either. Or people with high blood pressure. Or pregnant women. You don't see any of these bunch crying foul.

Hey, my mom is barely over the height limit ! She better ride this year because when osteoporosis sets in, she's screwed. :lmao:

but what about dwarfs? THEY didn't choose to be short. How DARE Disney, Universal or any other theme park create rides that don't accommodate short people!

I cannot speak for them. I am not one, do not have family members that have that issue, nor have I worked with them.

MrsRJLupin first off, I was once over 300lbs, I'm about 260 now I think. And I'm French living in France, which is definitely a country NOT made for 300lbs people. Try getting on a ride at DLP, for one thing.

Anyway, I know what it's like to live with that kind of weight.But you can not expect corporations to cater to your needs. It's not like they made the ride thinking "Hey, let's make this tiny so all those fatties can't ride!! Wouldn't it be fun to pull them out of the queue and humiliate them?Woohoo!! And I bet NO ONE is going to complain!"

I too think that they waited to take care of the larger seats issue so they could open HP earlier and not miss the summer season. But whatever their reason is - the fact is that they don't HAVE to accomodate us larger people.
They're most likely going to do it because they must have gotten a ton (no pun intended) of complaints but it's not a requirement. After all they don't accomodate very short people either. Or people with high blood pressure. Or pregnant women. You don't see any of these bunch crying foul.

Hey, my mom is barely over the height limit ! She better ride this year because when osteoporosis sets in, she's screwed. :lmao:

They were contractually bound to have it open before summer 2010, so I'd bet you're right.

Strangely enough, we manage to have good times in a LOT of places...concert theaters, movie theaters, and all other theme parks. Only this one seems to be causing a problem.

Darn, you're lucky. I can barely squeeze my belly in the teacups at MK. And no they do not have a larger teacup where I wouldn't have to choose which kidney to sacrifice.

It's one stinking ride that just opened last week. I am 6'7" and 300 pounds solid and I already am assuming I won't be able to ride when we travel there in July. That being said, I will still enjoy my time there at EVERYTHING the parks have to offer. Kudos to Universal for dreaming big with the FJ ride! I firmly believe it was their goal to create something special and also have a June opening after last years rip ride rockit was delayed ALLLLLLL summer.

Peace and Love all!

Very well said. The obese are the one group in this country that it's still ok to marginalize, make jokes at the expense of, generally disdain... because, after all, they can do something about it, they just choose not to. *eye roll* I challenge anyone reading this to ask a woman with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (just one disease that can cause obesity) why she doesn't "do something about it." It's discrimination - but sadly, some folks still think it's ok.

This is exactly the point I'm making. Perhaps they CANNOT make it work for people of short stature or people with high blood pressure. But they CAN make it work for obese people, because they're working on it now.

What I'm saying is this: if they had been working to make the summer deadline and to do so had to sacrifice a group because of race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, or religion, they never would have done it. The backlash would have been crippling to their park. But because it's just "fat people," that was deemed okay. This is a problem with society as a whole.

Very well said. The obese are the one group in this country that it's still ok to marginalize, make jokes at the expense of, generally disdain... because, after all, they can do something about it, they just choose not to. *eye roll* I challenge anyone reading this to ask a woman with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (just one disease that can cause obesity) why she doesn't "do something about it." It's discrimination - but sadly, some folks still think it's ok.

Is it discrimination that people with vertigo can't ride? Do you really expect Universal to take into consideration every medical issue and make sure that those people can ride? We are back to Small World again and I would imagine that ride even alienates some people.

It's one stinking ride that just opened last week. I am 6'7" and 300 pounds solid and I already am assuming I won't be able to ride when we travel there in July. That being said, I will still enjoy my time there at EVERYTHING the parks have to offer. Kudos to Universal for dreaming big with the FJ ride! I firmly believe it was their goal to create something special and also have a June opening after last years rip ride rockit was delayed ALLLLLLL summer.

I fully understand that I am not speaking for or representing all obese people. I am just putting my thoughts, which represent some people's thoughts, out there.

Is it discrimination that people with vertigo can't ride? Do you really expect Universal to take into consideration every medical issue and make sure that those people can ride? We are back to Small World again and I would imagine that ride even alienates some people.
So are you trying to argue that people do NOT discriminate against obese people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter