As promised, Totally Outragous Behavior~

kaybird

DIS Veteran
I tend not to jump into the threads that point out rude, unacceptable, and other obnoxious behavior at WDW, because for the most part, if it doesn’t effect me, the less stress the better. But as this situation unfolded, besides being amusing for us to watch, continued for some time.

We had a late breakfast ADR at 1900 Park Faire, for our last day. DS, his wife, baby, and DH and I were seated clear to the back, where the doors open out to the lobby near GF café.

The characters were awesome, Mad hatter scared my DH as he came flying, shouting and running out the doors, we chatted with Mary Poppins, and the baby had some very sweet moments with Pooh and Tigger too . 1900 has an incredible manager named Tim; very personable, funny, and turns to; bussing tables, visiting with guests, he does it all, and very well. He was wearing a pinstriped suit, and claimed to be Pooh’s bodyguard. ( I suggested “bouncer” ha ha)

About halfway through, a lady and her two children entered the back door, cut between the tables being visited, and got Tigger’s autograph between his table visits. My DIL noticed, and said “that lady TOTALLY butted in front of that family!” who of course had paid to be there. By this time they had snuck (sp) back out the door. As soon as the handlers backs were turned, they were all back, trying to get Pooh to sign, who kept trying to tell them he would come to their table (which of course they didn’t have) The mother was outraged, and ranted at some time to her son that “Pooh wouldn’t do it when Tigger had.” They then regrouped, and actually walked into the main area of the restaurant, where they split up into 3 areas. At this point we lost sight for a moment, then the mother and daughter were led back through by a waitress, all the time insisting “but my son is in there!” Once again, unbelievably, she and her daughter went back in, and came back out WITH A DISH OF CANDY from the toppings bar. They sat down, apparently waiting for the son to come back. At that moment, Tim came striding toward the door, (My DIL said “Sic em, Danno!) While we were unable to hear the exchange, he appeared to handle it professionally and well.

But seriously lady! All that for an autograph!

I totally agree that is crazy, BUT...I hate that they leave that door open. There should be only one public entrance to a place like that. If the characters need to use the door, it can stay closed.

Rough economic times call for desperate measures ;)

Free autographs and free candy to boot...yikes :scared1:
Reminds me of the old "trick" on DCL where people would go to the ice cream stand and just get the candy (they used to have things like M&M...tons of it...without ice cream...and take it into the theater to avoid buying some. Now, no more candy toppings thanks to the...er...economy minded people.

I would have hated to have been there and seen that family... I would have said something myself.... But I am glad that Tim was on top of the situation... :santa:

We saw a similar happening outside (I think it was Mexico) with Dopey. Dopey's person was orchestrating the line and the third family after us he declared would be the last one. He shooed away a few families without incident until this one family decided to test his will. First, he told them the last family was already in line and they started with the "we came from out of the country and you're going to ruin our visit...blah blah". Then, their kid (had to be at least 12 to 14) jumped in line like he had been in the line all along and the father said, "Well, our kid is already in line." Like the CM did not know which family he had already picked and it was a woman with a kid in a stroller, not like you could confuse them. Anyway, after they gave the CM a hard time (not cursing but pretty rough) a few of us in line told him he did a great job and that he shouldn't feel a bit bad about the rude family. He seemed to appreciate our comments but he said he was used to it.

Wow. I don't understand how some people can think that's ok. I would be too embarrassed to even try anything like that, knowing how wrong it was. People are ridiculous.

Wow. I don't understand how some people can think that's ok. I would be too embarrassed to even try anything like that, knowing how wrong it was. People are ridiculous.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I am appauled at people's behavior these days. It is very sad, truly. :sad2:

We saw a similar happening outside (I think it was Mexico) with Dopey. Dopey's person was orchestrating the line and the third family after us he declared would be the last one. He shooed away a few families without incident until this one family decided to test his will. First, he told them the last family was already in line and they started with the "we came from out of the country and you're going to ruin our visit...blah blah". Then, their kid (had to be at least 12 to 14) jumped in line like he had been in the line all along and the father said, "Well, our kid is already in line." Like the CM did not know which family he had already picked and it was a woman with a kid in a stroller, not like you could confuse them. Anyway, after they gave the CM a hard time (not cursing but pretty rough) a few of us in line told him he did a great job and that he shouldn't feel a bit bad about the rude family. He seemed to appreciate our comments but he said he was used to it.

It happens all the time, unfortunately.

It happens all the time, unfortunately.

It's horrible but it does happen all of the time. I can't tell you how many times that people said to me, "but we came all of the way from ______ and now we can't see _____!" I'm sure Joanna has a bunch of stories too!

One time when I was greeting for Pluto by the Castle, there was a family who wasn't even in the line but wanted to take a picture of Pluto by himself. They actually tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to move! :scared1: Well, Pluto overheard what they said and basically, if I moved, he moved so they couldn't get a picture. :lmao:

I am not trying to ruin the "magic" for anyone but try being a character...yeah that's right I said it...I worked in the character department AKA Zoo Crew at DLR...And believe me in an 8 hour day you run into about 30,000 people who are rude and think is their "right" to see you.

So, my daughter comes out of the BBB at Cindy's Castle and we see the Fairy God Mother. We walked over and the handler said that the line was already closed, which we took in stride. No big deal, it's not make or break to see any one character. As we go to walk off the Fairy GM says, "Oh, it's ok, let that little girl be the last one since she was at the BBB". We're like cool and say many thanks. While waiting as the last ones this lady comes up behind us with her kid and stands there. I politely tell her, "I think the line is closed". She said, "No it's not". I just shrugged my shoulders and kept quiet. As we get to the Fairy GM the handler comes over to the lady and tells her that we were the last family and it would be about 20 minutes until the Fairy GM returns.

OMG, the lady got irate. She used the "We're going to be leaving soon" line, which got her nowhere. A couple other lines, and finally she turns to her daughter and says, "Well, I guess the Fairy God Mother WONT be granting your wish today". :scared1:

None of this behavior is justified, however, I do see where it is at least explicable.

It costs a lot of money to get to, enter and stay in a WDW park. And for some, this happens once ever, or once in a great while. So when they see a family in front of them get something and they can't - they might lose it or act in a way that belies their fairly high frustration.

Again, not justified. But when the money is flowing, the adreneline is up, the energy is down and the emotions are spent, some people crack.

I suspect CMs are reminded of this and that helps keep up the positive demeanor.

It's horrible but it does happen all of the time. I can't tell you how many times that people said to me, "but we came all of the way from ______ and now we can't see _____!" I'm sure Joanna has a bunch of stories too!

Sadly I do.

that is pretty shocking behavior at the buffet! Too bad the other behavior w/ the characters isn't as surprising. :sad2:

These inexcusable behavior threads always remind me of the few times I've had a near meltdown in the parks - usually traveling with others I didn't know very well and usually over a missed connection someplace. (IE: We'll meet you at x at y time..)

As crazy as it sounds, a Disney vacation for a family can be a very stressful or stress filled time. The parents feel an amazing amount of pressure to ensure a magical time for Billy and Susie, and yes, crack under that pressure because they haven't got the money or time that some other families do.

It's unfortunate, but if you have ever seen National Lampoons 'Vacation' - you just know it can happen to just about anyone.

Knox

I am not trying to ruin the "magic" for anyone but try being a character...yeah that's right I said it...I worked in the character department AKA Zoo Crew at DLR...And believe me in an 8 hour day you run into about 30,000 people who are rude and think is their "right" to see you.
I can't even imagine the stuff y'all see! Once on Disney Cruise Line we were going to get in line to see Mickey, but the handler told us that he'd be leaving and we'd actually see Pluto or someone...can't remember who. Fine by us, as it's not like there aren't tons of opportunities to see Mickey on the ship. Not so fine for the family who came after us. Their kid started screaming, and I mean screams that echoed throughout that atrium, and then she laid down and started rolling on the floor! And this was not a little kid either. I don't know if she had a disability or was just a stone cold brat, but Dad just stood there watching, making no attempt to quiet her down or take her away, even tho' everyone was staring due to the ear-shattering screams. I wonder if he (and she) thought her behavior was going to get the handler to change her mind. Nope, didn't happen, so finally she got up and they stalked off with the kid still sniffling, both casting angry glares at the poor handler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter