• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

As someone that's over weight I can only imagine how she felt

I was a child care provider for 12 years. I am now and was then, overweight. And several of my employees were also overweight. It just worked out that way when hiring the best people and most experienced people for the job.

Did if affect my ability to do my job or their ability to do theirs? Not in the least.

First off, in a child care setting a child should never be in danger that requires lightening reflexes but if it happens, most experienced people are able to do their job and know how they need to do it despite whatever someone else thinks. Besides, most would be very surprised at how fast a child caregiver can move when need be. Everything required, from sitting on the floor to dancing around the room to jumping up and down; all of us could do and had fun doing it.

Second, in MOST child care settings here (not sure where the woman that wrote the article is, I assumed the UK), lunch is provided by the facility or sent by the parent. So, the children learn eating habits from the provided meals or the parent provided meals. The rule we had to follow (facility policy because it was a state regulation) is that the caregivers had to eat with the children. They ate what the center provided or they had to have a healthy meal that covered all the same basis as required by the state. (same thing with children who brought their lunch, if they didn't bring a "vitamin C food" for example, one had to be provided for them. ) Also most preschool curriculum cover healthy eating habits or food groups or something of the like, and that is another way the children are taught healthy eating habits. If the caregiver is going home and eating 4 bags of chips, the children do not know that and cannot learn from that. Chances are that its not happening in the center.

In almost every single facility, physical activity is encouraged. So again, learning healthy habits. If you don't encourage physical activity in children, believe me you will regret it by the end of the day.

While I don't totally disagree with everything the woman said, she needs to go in the center and spend a day observing rather than making a judgement based on what a person looks like. She may be very pleasantly surprised.

Children learning healthy habits are not related to weight management. Weight should not even come up in the lesson or the conversation. Being healthy. Eating healthy. Being active. That's what you want to teach them and what you want them to strive for.

As for all the discussion going on here about losing weight, losing weight is one of the hardest things to do in life (and I have quit smoking before). Especially when you have a lot to lose. Have people done it? Well yeah but people have also gotten off heroin and crystal meth and come out the other side but some just can't seem to kick the addiction. Food can be an addiction. Some trade out the food addiction for the work out addiction and that is fine for them, I guess. But when they have an injury or something that stops them from working out, guess what? Something else is going to replace that addiction and its most likely to be food. Why do you think so many gain the weight back at some point? Everyone knows HOW to lose weight--burn more calories than you take in. Saying it over and over doesn't make it easy to do. Its a whole lot easier said than done, and acting as though that isn't true only makes people feel worse about their struggle.

The whole thyroid thing, dd's bf had to have his thyroid removed back before she met him. He is at a pretty good weight now, but you can look at pictures of him over the time before, during and after his health issues with his thyroid and see the weight gain and loss since. I don't know the time frame but its like he blew up like a balloon for awhile there. Now he struggles to keep it down and would like to lose more but truly is finding it very hard. He works out regularly, he has to for his job but the weight doesn't just come off. Its NOT easy.

Sure, there are plenty of people for whom cutting back a bit on calories and exercising a few times a week would make a big difference in their appearance and overall health. But for some, being "reasonably" fit requires tremendous effort (and they still are unable to achieve the goal)
Exactly.

For some people, simply cutting back on calories is all that they need.

For some people it isn't. Some have to work very hard at it, every single day. And even then they may not lose what others lose.

And yes, medications can cause people to be hungry. Very hungry. Yes, of course, people can ignore that craving. But it certainly isn't easy. Which is why people gain weight while on steroids.

The lady who wrote this article has zero class and her notion that overweight or obese people are setting a poor example for her daughter is ridiculous. They would probably teach her more about kindness and compassion than their totally obtuse mother. If she truly felt her child was in danger, fine, but it doesn't seem that this is her issue. She thinks it's up to her to dispense "tough love" to those who she finds undesirable. I think she needs a little tough love because I find her attitude undesirable.

The notion that it is "easy" to lose and maintain weight loss is totally wrong. It just isn't. You have no idea what challenges someone has. Until you've walked a mile in their shoes, you shouldn't judge. I've tried so hard to work out and be healthy. I spent 2 hours at the gym 6-7 days per week to see results. I ended up blowing out two disks in my back and I couldn't even walk to the back of a grocery store. Couple that with IT band syndrome, Piraformis Syndrome and hypermobile joints I was a complete mess. Physical therapy was useless and I ended up having to have epidural steroid injections again and again for 3 years. I was scared to go back to the gym because I would rather live my life being fat but still able to walk and move around than risk destroying my back. I have recently returned to the gym and am working out with a Personal Trainer. Another hurdle here is financial. I am unemployed right now. A gym membership and personal training is very expensive. I only decided to do it because I also lost my health insurance and looked at it as an investment into myself. With my history of injury I need this education and support. It hasn't been easy. I have a vision issue that makes me unsteady and I'm constantly scared of falling. I have severe light sensitivity and often have to wear sunglasses in the gym which makes me feel even more self-conscious. After 5 weeks of 2x week personal training and going 2-3 more times per week on my own and meal prepping only taking in 1500-1800 calories a day I haven't lost one pound. Please tell me again that it's easy. I don't doubt that many people have similar or even more insurmountable struggles that make it so hard or nearly impossible to get started and maintain a healthy lifestyle. They should not be judged because it isn't easy or simple or a piece of cake.

My point is kindness and compassion wins over being fat, skinny, "normal", tall or short any day in my book. People want to feel valued and loved, not demeaned and cast aside because of their physical being. "Tough love" or flippant attitudes that being healthy is a cookie cutter process are a hindrance, not a help to people who need to lose weight. You just make people feel worse about themselves and less likely to do anything. If you want to help someone let them know what you like about them and what is good, because they already know what their weaknesses are and what makes them feel badly. Tell them they're a good friend or that you like it when they laugh or smile. Tell them they're smart or that you appreciate how helpful are. Make people feel valued and maybe they will see the value in themselves and want to improve their physical well-being.

I'm not sure how it works in that country, but around here you pack your own child's lunch? So unless the woman was planning to shove snicker bars into the kid's mouth against her will, I'm not buying the whole "fat by association" crap. Stop fat-shaming.

Also, to quote JK Rowling... "I’d rather my kids were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny – a thousand things, before ‘thin’."

Not directing this at anyone in particular...

What bothers me the most is the way weight is so often framed as a moral issue. We're told it's just a matter of self control, and self-discipline. Be virtuous, be a better person, and be thin.

My mother-in-law was obese and diabetic, as are all her siblings. My father-in-law (who was a large guy before the cancer stripped it all away), used to tease her and try to get the kids to call her, "Grandma Wide Load". When she lived with us, I saw first hand how much of a struggle it was for her. We argued over whether muffins were "healthy". She turned up her nose at my kale, politely claimed she had "no appetite", and hoarded chocolate bars in her bedroom. Sure, she'd have loved to be thin and fit! After she died, I found a charm bracelet full of little collectible rewards she'd earned on one of her various quests to achieve this goal. But, in the end, she just couldn't do it.

It was bittersweet, near the end, when she could only eat what the nursing home would give her, and her diabetes cleared up. Everyone pointed this out to her, saying, "If you'd just eaten more sensibly, you wouldn't have had the diabetes!" She nodded and smiled, and then asked us to pass her a cookie. She was dying of lung cancer that had spread to her spine, taking away her mobility. My husband, even now, lives with painful regret that he rode her so hard about her diet and her weight. He thought she'd live longer than she did, and now he wishes he could just give her every bowl of ice cream, every cake, every cookie she ever wanted.

There's complex and powerful psychological and physical components to how we eat. Some of us simply experience hunger more than others. Some of us equate food with comfort, happiness, reward and love. It's not as simple as "calories in/calories out" and "do you have the willpower to resist a treat?"

My mother-in-law and her siblings survived a horribly abusive background, the early death of their mother, and having to fend for themselves from very young ages. Several succumbed to alcoholism. One just died of complications of diabetes. My mother-in-law was a survivor, a winner, and a hero! She came through all that and never stopped smiling, never stopped looking after others, worked, married a good man (yes, he teased her, but he also adored her), and raised two terrific sons, who have gone on to successful lives of their own.

She gave me my husband. I was privileged to have her look after my children. And I would think anyone would be lucky to have her be a presence in their children's lives. She was wise, and kind, and endlessly forgiving and supportive. And all she wanted, in the end, was cake. Given how much she gave, it doesn't seem like much to ask.

We could all aspire to be as good a person, as she was.

Exactly.

For some people, simply cutting back on calories is all that they need.

For some people it isn't. Some have to work very hard at it, every single day. And even then they may not lose what others lose.

And yes, medications can cause people to be hungry. Very hungry. Yes, of course, people can ignore that craving. But it certainly isn't easy. Which is why people gain weight while on steroids.

Omg tell me about it some days I am just hunger then others and I refuses to deprive my self

Not directing this at anyone in particular...

What bothers me the most is the way weight is so often framed as a moral issue. We're told it's just a matter of self control, and self-discipline. Be virtuous, be a better person, and be thin.

My mother-in-law was obese and diabetic, as are all her siblings. My father-in-law (who was a large guy before the cancer stripped it all away), used to tease her and try to get the kids to call her, "Grandma Wide Load". When she lived with us, I saw first hand how much of a struggle it was for her. We argued over whether muffins were "healthy". She turned up her nose at my kale, politely claimed she had "no appetite", and hoarded chocolate bars in her bedroom. Sure, she'd have loved to be thin and fit! After she died, I found a charm bracelet full of little collectible rewards she'd earned on one of her various quests to achieve this goal. But, in the end, she just couldn't do it.

It was bittersweet, near the end, when she could only eat what the nursing home would give her, and her diabetes cleared up. Everyone pointed this out to her, saying, "If you'd just eaten more sensibly, you wouldn't have had the diabetes!" She nodded and smiled, and then asked us to pass her a cookie. She was dying of lung cancer that had spread to her spine, taking away her mobility. My husband, even now, lives with painful regret that he rode her so hard about her diet and her weight. He thought she'd live longer than she did, and now he wishes he could just give her every bowl of ice cream, every cake, every cookie she ever wanted.

There's complex and powerful psychological and physical components to how we eat. Some of us simply experience hunger more than others. Some of us equate food with comfort, happiness, reward and love. It's not as simple as "calories in/calories out" and "do you have the willpower to resist a treat?"

My mother-in-law and her siblings survived a horribly abusive background, the early death of their mother, and having to fend for themselves from very young ages. Several succumbed to alcoholism. One just died of complications of diabetes. My mother-in-law was a survivor, a winner, and a hero! She came through all that and never stopped smiling, never stopped looking after others, worked, married a good man (yes, he teased her, but he also adored her), and raised two terrific sons, who have gone on to successful lives of their own.

She gave me my husband. I was privileged to have her look after my children. And I would think anyone would be lucky to have her be a presence in their children's lives. She was wise, and kind, and endlessly forgiving and supportive. And all she wanted, in the end, was cake. Given how much she gave, it doesn't seem like much to ask.

We could all aspire to be as good a person, as she was.

ITA about weight being looked at as a moral failing and an inexcusable one at that.

Yes, there is an obesity epidemic and the funny thing about epidemics is that they tend to have systematic causes not individual ones. You can't attribute millions of people being obese to "a lack of personal control"

More than half of Americans are overweight or obese that's a huge percentage of the population with the same moral failing if that's all it comes down to. The diet industry wouldn't exist as a $5 billion industry if it were so easy.

Not to mention scientists don't even fully understand the causes of obesity-they know genetics are a factor and now there's all this with gut bacteria. When mice are fed the same amount of the same diet and some become obese and some don't, it should tell you it's not as simple as so many purport.

As far as the addiction component-there is science there. While alcoholics can stop drinking and gamblers can stop betting, you can't stop eating. I wonder what the success rate for recovering alcoholics would look like if they just had to have two drinks a day but stop at 3 so you don't over-consume.

Side note-I wish people would state exactly what they mean when they talk about "glorifying obesity". I always hear about it being to blame for rising health care costs and concern trolling, nothing positive. Do they mean obese people should cloister themselves until they're not obese? Is being obese and enjoying life and having a job "glorifying obesity"? Is loving your body regardless of the form it takes "glorifying" obesity? Should obese people be consumed by depression and self hate deteriorating their health to show how awful being obese is? I find this argument so ugly, because what it really means is "obese people's mere existence is glorifying obesity"

does she have a brain
this is like the anti lgbt marriage debate! You just want it to stop but it never will. Its like a bad dream that you never can stop seeing

My mum is a doctor and obese. She is an excellent doctor. With over 20 years experience. She does know what she is talking about. She is an excellent mother too.
Please when will this nonsense stop

This lady has ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA OF WHO IS HEALTHY AND WHO IS NOT when she's looking over daycare staff.

Listen for the smoker's cough on the lady who doesn't have a pick on her bones.

Look through the medical records of even the "normal weight" people - I guarantee you will see some very interesting surprises! :scared1:

Weight alone does NOT tell the story of someone's health or background. (And I am inspired here not just by my own background as a medical professional, but by a paper my daughter had to write this week on the definition of "health" for her one of her college Nursing classes - it may be a spinoff.)

It's this lady's (and I use the term loosely) prerogative to put her child in a place of her choosing, and that decision might be based on a lot of things. We all do this. When I was picking a place for my own children I went with the place where everyone looked happy, there was respectful communication, no smells, the building was appropriately "busy" but very clean and secure, there were outdoor play structures far back from the road, and fenced, as well as a kitchen where kids could assist with cooking and snack preparation, etc. Never once was someone's weight there a consideration to me. In retrospect, there were people of all sizes, in fact, and they were all wonderful. :lovestruc

I think the author is misguided.

Last edited:
As someone who has struggled with my weight here and there I do think in some circumstances weight can effect how you can take care of children. I know when I was bigger I wasn't as quick. I got out of breath easily. Running around that playground wasn't so easy.

My SO's mom used to watch children. She was/is overweight. It's caught up to her now. Her joints hurt. Her legs swell. Her knees are bad. She had to stop watching children once they start walking. She's fine with infants but more than that and it's too much for her.

I have no problem with what the mom chose but no need to write an article about it.

And I don't think it's easy to lose weight. I have to do intense cardio and some weight lifting and watch my calories like a hawk to get "thin." I've accepted that I don't want to live that life that will make me a size 6. So I workout 4-5 times a week, eat pretty healthy and maintain my size 12's. It's better than a 16!

My current photo
Tink you look lovely!

If the crazy ideas that fell out of this woman's mouth made you feel uneasy at all, use it as encouragement to find a physical activity that you LIKE TO DO. Any activity! It doesn't have to be the gym, or counting your steps, or anything major. Find a playlist on Youtube that makes you tap your foot :) and move around! Turn the negative into positive!

Plus this woman is living in the UK so there is an ENTIRELY different system of healthcare, economy, societal attitudes, etc. that are playing out in her FB post that are not so apparent. I know we have a lot of British and Scottish and Irish (and possibly some Welsh too, can't leave you out!) DIS'ers but it's very hard to explain the cultural details of a different country if you are not physically there! They even are trying to teach nursery-school-aged children about their Food Pyramid or the UK equivalent (which I think is insane, kids need stable mealtimes with healthy choices and attentive adults ; guilting them because they ate 3 veggies instead of 5 in the last 24 hours is just so wrong to do to a child). Goodness my DD's school Fall Festival passed out Cheetos and Doritos and Ruffles chips as the "treat" and the drink was water! Nobody was dancing around counting calories or number of fruits eaten...

As someone who has struggled with my weight here and there I do think in some circumstances weight can effect how you can take care of children. I know when I was bigger I wasn't as quick. I got out of breath easily. Running around that playground wasn't so easy.

My SO's mom used to watch children. She was/is overweight. It's caught up to her now. Her joints hurt. Her legs swell. Her knees are bad. She had to stop watching children once they start walking. She's fine with infants but more than that and it's too much for her.

I have no problem with what the mom chose but no need to write an article about it.

And I don't think it's easy to lose weight. I have to do intense cardio and some weight lifting and watch my calories like a hawk to get "thin." I've accepted that I don't want to live that life that will make me a size 6. So I workout 4-5 times a week, eat pretty healthy and maintain my size 12's. It's better than a 16!

It may have effected YOU or your MIL but it doesn't everyone.

This Mom should have observed how things work at her child's center before she formed her opinion. Not everyone that is overwieght is slow moving and hurting all over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter