ASD ds, split stay or not?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
My husband and I decided to take our ds to WDW in Jan. We decided on ASMOvies because he is a BUZZ/Woody fan. Now, we are thinking about renting DVC points at OKW or BWV or similar, but it seems that it might be too expensive to do the entire stay. I am really concerned that he won't handle a split stay if we tried to do both. He doesn't transition well & he likes routine. Has anyone else tried this? What were the results? I was also curious how we will make out at restaraunts. This seems to be our problem area with our ds (in terms of behavior, meltdowns, etc.) I thought OKW might be helpful in that area because we maybe could do meals in some nights. Please help! I am so torn. I know he would LOVE Toy Story, BUT we will survive a week?

Thanks,

have2getaway

We stayed at more than one resort in December with our 9 year old ASD son. We spent the first day/night at POP...was nice because the pool was very warm and no one was in it (although it was 80 degrees that day). Spent the next week at CBR then back to POP for the last night. The trip went very well. We did a LOT of preparation. I downloaded pictures of both resorts, made a calendar and explained the benefits of staying at both places.

Our only sit down meals were character meals. No problems...maybe in part to anticipating many differenct scenerios and having a plan of action. (e.g. Whose day/meal is it to deal with him if a meltdown occurs, etc.)

I don't have any experience with this situation to answer specifically, but I think even if someone does, it won't be especially helpful because autistic kids are all so different.
My son has great difficulty with transitions. He needs routine. Discussing (and using social stories) upcoming events help him, but it's still hard. This is my kid though and not all are like this, as you know.
If it were me, I would pick one place and not move around. I am anticipating that there will be enough stress for son with all the different sensory experiences, changed routine and being away from home.
You know your son better than anyone and will make the best decision. :)
I am concerned about restaurants, as well. I don't know how the places we will be are set up, but we always either get a booth or a table in a corner. No way could we have dinner at a table in the middle of the room.

Regarding meal times, the ASMo food court has old animated disney films running whenever the food court is open. The screen is set up by a quieter part of the restaurant. It helped us having the movies available for DD to watch while she ate.

Itsagloomyday--We have started using social stories and these are very helpful. He also uses a picture calendar. I'm glad your son was very receptive to switching around. Not sure if our son is quite there yet, but we have a few months before we leave so I guess I will have to wait and see. Did your son prefer one hotel over the other?

mlwear--It's sounds like our sons are similar. We also MUST have a booth while eating out. We have even had to order room service before because he had such a severe meltdown we had to leave the restaraunt. One of my concerns with ASMO is that I know it doesn't have that benefit. He does like routine when traveling and gets attached/fixated on things. I can easily see him getting attached to Buzz & Woody. Preparation might help, but I guess I will need to take this into consideration. We planned the trip for January because our son just started a school with intensive assitance for special needs children. He started this summer & we have already noticed a dramatic difference. We are hopeful that the improvement will continue and by January he may be more ready for the trip. Good luck on your trip as well!

Thanks again!

have2getaway:
At the food court at ASMo, you can order food "to go". I don't know if this helps or not, but if DS is having a difficult time, one parent could go and get the food at the food court and bring it back to the room. They have large styrofoam containers for take out. If DD was having difficulty at the food court , I just redirected her attention towards the big tv playing the disney movies and then she was ok. But as you know, all kids are different and what works for one , doesn't always work with another.
About ASMO: a few days before our trip there, I faxed ASMo a letter explaining DD and requested a very quiet room. Not only did I get a room on the top floor, but was given a non-connecting end room. I could not believe how thoughtful the room assigner was.
I'm sure you will love ASMo.

have2getaway said:
My husband and I decided to take our ds to WDW in Jan. We decided on ASMOvies because he is a BUZZ/Woody fan. Now, we are thinking about renting DVC points at OKW or BWV or similar, but it seems that it might be too expensive to do the entire stay. I am really concerned that he won't handle a split stay if we tried to do both. He doesn't transition well & he likes routine. Has anyone else tried this? What were the results?

Hi! My son has PDD-NOS and we just did a split stay at ASMo (since he is a huge Buzz & Woody fan too!) and WL. He had no problems with the switch....BUT we have stayed at WL before, and he likes it there too, so he was not going to something unknown....
Good luck w/whatever you decide! :wave:

Riu Girl--Thanks for the dining tips. If we can keep our ds entertained, I'm sure we will be ok. The take out will be a blessing too! I'm looking forward to ASMO even more now.

MomOf2DisneyKids--Thanks for the input about a split stay. Is WL very kid friendly?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter