Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

I'm throwing myself a pity party right now. Major first world problems, major selfishness, but I am so bummed this may wind up impacting our Spring break WDW trip. I'm more worried about traveling to Disney by plane (and it being a connecting flight) than WDW itself right now, but a passenger was pulled off a flight that landed here today with suspected Covid-19 after she decided to get on a plane feeling sick with a travel history to China.

Feels like non dis approved word is going to hit the fan pretty soon here in North America.
First world problems here as well. A little nervous about our summer trip to Chicago for a Korean pop group concert. They (not shockingly) cancelled the April dates in Seoul just yesterday. I'm only going as my daughter's +1. But dang, she's so excited. And now I'm a little worried a big domestic outbreak could affect the American venues.

First world problems here as well. A little nervous about our summer trip to Chicago for a Korean pop group concert. They (not shockingly) cancelled the April dates in Seoul just yesterday. I'm only going as my daughter's +1. But dang, she's so excited. And now I'm a little worried a big domestic outbreak could affect the American venues.
BTS??? I was wondering if they were in the US to "escape" from being in Korea right now. Ugh - so scary. And, yes, first world problems....

As someone posted earlier, as soon as a worker at a park gets the Coronavirus the park that person worked at will close. In the litigious society we live in, the potential liability isn’t just worth it for Disney.

That's my concern as well. I think the guests will still visit no matter what, but I'm leaning towards a decent probability for the US parks to close if CMs start testing positive for Corona.

This won't just be a Disney thing either as they're closing Universal Japan. Based on recent news, keep an eye on the west coast parks ... Disneyland, Universal, Legoland, Knott's Berry etc.

BTS??? I was wondering if they were in the US to "escape" from being in Korea right now. Ugh - so scary. And, yes, first world problems....
Yes, BTS. They were here to promote their new album last week. I told my daughter they should have just stayed! ;) As if it's that simple. I'm sure they have a huge crew though, all of whom will have had the potential to be affected by this.

Thankfully still just a first world problem for us.

Traveling with a school group trip to WDW March 6. Fingers crossed for that.

WDW will be open for at-least 2 more weeks. They and DL will take extreme precautions for as long as possible before they close. If/when it hits close it will likely get to the point where they will deny anyone with a fever on Disney transportation or through the parking gate.

I expect fully DLP to close within the next 1-2 weeks though.

It's also worth noting that for HKDL, SDL, and TDR, the majority ownership of the parks is not with the Walt Disney Company. So they all had influences other than Disney in the decision to close. I don't think anyone can say for sure if Disney would/would not have closed those parks if they had 100% ownership but it's something to keep in mind.

And this isn't to say that Disney won't close the domestic parks or DLP if there's an outbreak associated in those areas, just that if it comes time to make the decision it will be fully theirs.

ETA: Obviously if the US or French governments issue a mandate to close then I trust Disney to take that seriously, the difference here being that the government does not own the parks.

Last edited:
WDW will be open for at-least 2 more weeks. They and DL will take extreme precautions for as long as possible before they close. If/when it hits close it will likely get to the point where they will deny anyone with a fever on Disney transportation or through the parking gate.

I expect fully DLP to close within the next 1-2 weeks though.
I really think this is not the case.
There are what - 60 cases in the US? Out of 327 million people? More people just died in the Milwaukee incident.

There in my opinion is 0 chance they close the park unless it becomes an insane outbreak like in China.

The difference is we swarm the people who have it here and isolate the risks. China is more open as the carriers are living normal life unknowing and spreading it around.. greater concentration of infected means higher spread..
I think (or is seems) we are well precautions here... I do not think the park will ever close here in the USA due to this unless it hits the thousands.

There are what - 60 cases in the US? Out of 327 million people? More people just died in the Milwaukee incident.

There in my opinion is 0 chance they close the park unless it becomes an insane outbreak like in China.

The difference is we swarm the people who have it here and isolate the risks. China is more open as the carriers are living normal life unknowing and spreading it around.. greater concentration of infected means higher spread..
I think (or is seems) we are well precautions here... I do not think the park will ever close here in the USA due to this unless it hits the thousands.
This is not true. China basically went on complete shutdown to contain the virus.

This is not true. China basically went on complete shutdown to contain the virus.
We really don't know enough about what China did, and the timeframe in which they did it to realistically speculate on the possible extrapolation of this course of action world wide. A lot of the action taken by China was AFTER there was some world wide information. We only know what China allows out media-wise. Now this is better than no information, but it is, like many media reported issues, not enough to take as all the truth there is. It is not worth being wildly worried, at the moment, unless you have specific reason to be worried, the rest is unknowable.

0% chance that DLP closes???...because I think based on the larger regional outbreak (including Italy) along with the French culture makes DLP closing very likely.

I did not mention anything about WDW or DL closing, rather than taking extreme precautions of denying entry to anyone who has a fever before they even consider closing.

0% chance that DLP closes???...because I think based on the larger regional outbreak (including Italy) along with the French culture makes DLP closing very likely.

I did not mention anything about WDW or DL closing, rather than taking extreme precautions of denying entry to anyone who is sick before they even consider closing.
You stated "WDW will be open for at-least 2 more weeks. " That to me reads that you believe it could close... unless I am reading it very, very wrong

You stated "WDW will be open for at-least 2 more weeks. " That to me reads that you believe it could close... unless I am reading it very, very wrong

I was replying to the person who said their trip started on March 6th. I said it would be open for 2 more weeks to reassure them that their trip was safe.

I did not mention anything about WDW or DL closing, rather than taking extreme precautions of denying entry to anyone who has a fever before they even consider closing.
Here is the bad news for the EU, the virus now has a foothold in Africa. They are going to have major issues getting control of this if they get a flood of migrants from Africa and Middle East countries trying to flee the virus.

Here is the bad news for the EU, the virus now has a foothold in Africa. They are going to have major issues getting control of this if they get a flood of migrants from Africa and Middle East countries trying to flee the virus.
It would be counterintuitive to flee a place with VERY few instances of this, and head to a place in which there is already MORE risk of catching it. Coronavirus is not why people will be going from Africa to the EU.

But we aren't testing at the numbers that other countries are. We can't isolate the risks if we don't know who they are.

If anything I think it will be one of two things

1) Only US citizens will be allowed in parks for a while (unlikely)
2) It will be self regulated (i.e. after 9-11) where people are too scared to go and attendance will organically drop.

The only US issue may be the cruise ships

North Africans maybe but I would not think the people South of the Sahara would want to travel to Europe where it is already (especially Italy) rather than South where there are none/fewer.

I am honestly amazed that there are no reports of it in India yet. They have the worst case trifecta of large groups of poor, densely populated and least Government control/assistance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter