ASMo, PO or Swan/Dolphin?

MHThread

Earning My Ears
We'll be traveling with a 3 yr old in January for a long weekend. Due to several factors (DH in Disney marathon, I'll be 8 mos pregnant, a 3 yr old), we probably won't do any parks, but we'd like to stay on site for the convenience of the marathon.

Dream Reservations wasn't a lot of help, but I found reasonable prices on Travelocity -- $87 Allstars, $133 Port Orleans and $162 for Swan/Dolphin. Given that budget is an issue and we think we would like to be closer to Epcot for the convenience of the marathon start/finish, can anyone make a recommendation for me? DS would probably love ASMo since he's a big Toy Story fan, so I even thought about Friday night there and Sat/Sun nights at PO or Swan/Dolphin. DH would like a hot tub on site and ASMo doesn't have that. Easy access to food would also be nice with a toddler.

Help please -- I feel so lost even though I've been reading this board! Thanks in advance!

Martha

At those prices, since you are not going into the parks, I would choose Swan/Dolphin over PO just because there is more to do at the resort and the adjacent Boardwalk and the YC/BC restaurants across the lake too. Lots of eating options and amenities that you and DH would enjoy as well as your DS (pool and play area!). That being said, you will be spending a lot more $$ there than at AS, for the room. Have you called the S/D directly to see if you qualify for any better rate....like the govt employee discount? Good luck with your planning and your trip!

Hi,
I've stayed at the Swan and POR. Loved Swan. Has several hot tubs. Beautiful rooms and great transportation. Can ride a boat over to Epcot but it takes you to a back entrance of the park. You can walk over to the Boardwalk and look at many shops and the waterfront. S/D has nurse,teacher, and government discounts. Check it out. freckles:D

Another vote for the S/D. Lots to do in the immediate area. PO also has the boat to Downtown Disney-plenty to do there. I got a teacher rate at S/D this past June of $154/night. It might be less in the offseason.

Another vote for the Swan or Dolphin. Even if you don't plan on going to any of the parks, there is plenty to keep your family occupied without ever leaving!

As previously mentioned, the Boardwalk is at your back door. And you can always just take a boat ride over to Epcot or MGM, even if you don't plan on entering, simply for the nice ride on the boat itself!

You can spend all day at the Grotto Pool if you desire, plenty to do there as well.

I'd try to choose the Dolphin, since Tubbi's Buffeteria, the laundry and game room are within that hotel. It might make things a little easier with you being pregnant. :D

IMHO, you could spend a whole week or more at the SwanDolphin and have a great time without even stepping foot into the parks!!!:D

Swan/Dolphins are now always my resort selections of choice.

Even though the others are less expensive, since you won't be going to the parks, you will enjoy the S/D resort and area. It will be easier for you than having to bus somewhere for entertainment from All Stars.

I just hated to spend the extra money with baby on the way, but it sounds like you all agree that Swan/Dolphin is the best option. I may still go with ASMo for one night to save a few $$ and to see DS's face when he walks up to the giant Woody or Buzz, but DH and I will have to discuss if it's worth the hassle of moving. Of course, with a 3 night stay, it's not like we'll have tons of stuff to unpack anyway!

Some of you mentioned the boat ride to Epcot, but someone said it goes to a back entrance. How does one get from Swan/Dolphin to the "main" entrance and/or parking lots at Epcot? DH is running the marathon, and I understand it starts/finishes in the Epcot parking lot. I know there will be buses for the runners, but how far is it to walk there? He often walks/jogs to the start from our hotels as a warmup for the actual race.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Martha

Your son would be Wowed! Also - if he had any Toy Story toys you should pack them along as the maids will arrange toys in the windows.

If you need to be at the front entrance to Epcot, it will not work unless you have a ticket. To go from the World Showcase gate to the parking lot you do have to walk thru the park. There is no bus service to Epcot because of the boats to the WS entrance.

I can't guarantee there won't be other options available. If you talked to Disney, or had someone at the S/D check for you, maybe they could find out if there was some kind of transit pass thru Epcot you could use to get to the starting area of the Marathon designed for the runners families. If $ is the issue, you probably won't want to do Mears.

A time saving issue to get to the front of Epcot in the long run (rather than walking thru the length of Epcot) would be to take a Disney Bus to the MK. They will drop you off at the right side of the MK Entrance. You will be at one of the closest drop-offs to the park. Then walk to the left side of the Entrance and take the Monorail to TTC & switch to the monorail to Epcot Center. I know that sounds pretty stupid, but Kendra & I actually did that when I was dumb enough to not read the transport schedule for S/D and we ended up at front of Epcot. I was so sick from heat I could not have walked to back. So we hopped the monorail, rode to MK and took the bus back to Swan. I believe it was about a 35 minute experience - in the shape I was in it would have taken me at least that long in the heat to get back to World Showcase gate (plus boat back to Swan) and no air conditioned ride! Your 3 year old would love the Monorail ride.

All in all, I don't think this would be too inconvenient considering the rest of the wonderful environment at the S/D.

I agree with the Swan/Dolphin choice. The Allstars are cute but there really isn't much of anything to do there. PO is a good second choice but a bit out of the way for you.

Have fun and congrats on the baby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter