• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attempting to fly w/out Xanax - take off question?

My fear of flying is not crippling. I can get on the plane. But I've been taking a smaller dose of Xanax about an hour before the flights to just to take the edge off. Problem is it takes too much of an edge off and the first day of our trip, I never feel like I really enjoy it because I'm foggy! :D

So, I know I can get a glass of wine on the plane if I think I need it (nothing wrong with an early morning wine...) but that's only when we are up in the air already. I also have an adult coloring book with my markers - helps me concentrate and take my mind off stuff, but have to wait until I can pull down the snack tray.

Unfortunately, the scariest part for me is taking off.

Any tips to help me during take off? Sometimes I count to myself and that calms me. Also, if I know the length of time that something takes, it helps me to relax. How long does it normally take to get to cruising level for about a 2.5 hr flight? Or even, just how long before you stop feeling that "taking off" feeling?

All tips or words of wisdom welcome!

I was just like you for years being nervous especially at take off and through the flight, but I bought a book that changed everything for me. We flew to Orlando in August and OMG this book changed my life. I loved the flight and was not scared at all, This is the first time I had this on any plane. the book is called The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying by Allen Carr. I really recommend reading it, it will change your future flights. He also wrote books about stopping smoking and he is amazing. Good luck

You mentioned coloring book. Do you have a tablet? There must be some type of app that's like coloring that you can just do without the need of a tray table.
Happy Color is the app my wife uses. It's like color by number but you touch each area to color it in. I don't see the point of it, but she and my older son seem to enjoy it. It calms them both.

Happy Color is the app my wife uses. It's like color by number but you touch each area to color it in. I don't see the point of it, but she and my older son seem to enjoy it. It calms them both.

I knew there had to be something out there.

My DH and I both use headphones. He with his music, me with an audio book.

I would agree with those saying get to the gate early enough to get a drink before boarding. Even very early in the morning, bars will be serving. That will relax you enough to get through the initial take off and ascent.

I'd also recommend listening to either music you really love and can zone out to, or a podcast. I like to save up a weeks worth of podcasts before a flight so I have lots to listen to. Listening to familiar voices in flight is soothing.

Thanks all!

Maybe I will try a glass of wine before the flight. I will see how I'm doing that morning.

Honestly, I probably need to start drinking now - I'm 10 days out and the stomach pangs are starting. 😂

I always think, say to myself, the pilot know more then me. He doesn't want to die.
I'm not afraid of flying (takeoff and landing are my most favorite parts!), but I tell people who might be afraid of it that the guys/girls in the cockpit ADORE their jobs because they get to fly all the time. We're in the hands of someone who loves what they do, so they'll be doing a great job.

I close my eyes and count, slowly, to 100 with a full deep breath in and out for each number. You won't get to cruising altitude by the time you get to 100 but you do get above 10,000 feet, which always makes me feel better and past the "take off" stage.
Counting by 7s works well, too. It takes a little more focus.

How long does it normally take to get to cruising level for about a 2.5 hr flight? Or even, just how long before you stop feeling that "taking off" feeling?

If you're taking off from San Diego or John Wayne airport, takeoff is a bit different, FWIW.

@Farro you can do this! You've already received great advice. If you haven't tried noise canceling headphones- they might be a game changer for you. I love the suggestion of a guided meditation- I really like the Calm app.

As a former flight attendant, here's some info you might find helpful which tells you when you've officially reached 10,000 feet. Once the captain has reached 10,000 feet, you'll hear one high-low chime. Typically flight attendants will get up and begin moving about the galley at that time.

I wish there was something for the week prior jitters!! It's half the battle. You've got this though!

I agree that it would be a good strategy to have one alcoholic beverage while waiting for your flight. If you go to the restroom first, then having one drink should not make you need to use the restroom during takeoff at all. I wouldn't wait until midflight when the drinks are served on the plane because given your anxiety you might be white knuckled & miserable by then.

Focus on the flight attendants as you fly. Notice how relaxed they are. They fly several flights per day, every day of their work week, and they're always okay. Reminding yourself of that in the air might help you to reassure yourself that you are safe.

I’m a Captain at a major carrier and on a number of occasions have had a passenger ask to come up to speak to us - most of us love to have kids, adults, whomever come up to say hi. Several times however an adult passenger was a nervous flyer and found comfort in meeting us, and used the opportunity as part of their mitigation strategy. Perhaps that might help you? I’ve always been completely honest about our expectations for turbulence etc. and any other pertinent info that would help to prepare them.

Regarding music etc that might help: I have the AirPod Pros and am amazed how good the active noise cancellation is in the cabin especially with music playing. If I want to hear “airplane noises” I have to stop the music and turn off the noise cancellation. If being able to sensory isolate a bit is helpful I highly recommend them or something similar.

Have a great trip and as was alluded to above: we love what we are doing up there and are perfectionists by nature. You are in good hands.

Played this on headphones with my grandson on his first flight heading to Disney during takeoff - it worked wonders:

Think of a wonderful thought
Any merry little thought
Think of Christmas, think of snow
Think of sleigh bells off you go!
Like a reindeer in the sky
You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!

I am very scared to fly, like I am still shocked I get on a plane! I take Xanax and it is still miserable. Take off is the worst for me, I like landing because it's over :worship: I flew with my mom once and she knows my fear. She isn't afraid to fly, actually loves it, and she told me her favorite part is takeoff because she loves the power of the plane. Oddly that comforted me....it is pretty awesome! Now whenever we fly (still hate and medicated) I think of that and it does make me feel better and smile!

I found that turning on a movie that I’ve seen hundreds of times (a comfort movie) really helped me, I popped in head phones and turned it up loud enough to cover the sound from take off and shut my eyes. My husband also held my hand 😅, he loves flying but was nice enough to close the window shade so I couldn’t see. Once we were cruising I was fine, I just didn’t know how loud take off was since I hadn’t flown since I was really young.

Air Pod Pros!!! My DH is a huge gadget guy....the more tech, the better and loves Apple products. I tried his Air Pod Pros (because he insisted) and they are a game changer. I put on music that takes me back in time and am able to block out all the noise. It is wonderful!

I too took Xanax for years and hated that I was depended on it...I've made probably my last 6 trips without it and I've been ok.

You also could look into a meditation app.

Take a look at the Relax+ app from Andrew Johnson… you have to purchase the Fear of Flying add-on, but his relaxation meditations are so awesome. There are a couple of free versions that are geared toward sleeping or power naps… but testing one of those would let you hear his voice before you buy anything. *I* personally find his voice really soothing, but one or two people I’ve told about the apps have said they find his British accent to be distracting. There are dozens of topics you can choose from as add-ones— everything from “stop nail-biting” to “lose weight” & “don’t panic” to “stop worrying”.

You can listen to the relaxation track during the flight, certainly… but it will be even more effective if you use it at least a few times a week (daily is better) leading up to your trip. His therapy topics are designed to work in a sort of subliminal or self-hypnosis manner, so using them before a nap of when you go to bed is particularly useful, because you’ll get the positive messages put into both your conscious and subconscious mind where they will help avert your anxiety when you need it most. Then when you also listen on the plane, you’ll be especially receptive to the anti-anxiety effects of the visualizations and messages.

Have an awesome trip!

I can’t focus on anything—not music, not reading, not conversation. The only thing that helps is prayer. Not sure if that’s your thing, but it calms both my mind and body so I can get through the flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter