Aug 7-20 Disney Adult ordering from Childs Menu Experience

DISNEY1975

DIS Veteran
Just back from a 2 week trip and wanted to share my experience with my DD15 ordering from the kids menu.

I will start by saying we had ADRs for 22 TS restaurants, all for 3 adults. I did not think to reserve for 2 adults/1 child since my DD is 15. Also, we were on the DxDDP.

At every restaurant, before being seated I asked for a kids menu for my DD "Just in case she didnt fnd anything on the adult menu she liked"

Obviously at character meals/buffets/pre fixed it was a non issue. We paid/used adult credit

At Via Napoli, we were flat out denied a kids menu. They are only given to guests 9 and under.

At LTT and Le Cellier we were told if she ordered an entree from the kids menu, the app and dessert would also have to be ordered from the kids menu. She could not get a kids entree and an adult dessert. We were charged the kids price from the menu.

At Brown Derby, Chefs de France, The Plaza, could only order strictly from the kids menu. They insisted on super sizing her kids meal, even though I told them she did not eat a lot and only wanted the kids sized portion. We were charged a price not seen on the menu, to more fit adult pricing. I did not understand this, as were using adult credits, so I assume it is for tipping purposes. At Brown Derby she ordered a hotdog and fries...got 3 hot dogs and 2 buckets of fries (and drink) and was charged $65!! Such a waste of food as she only ate one hotdog and a few fries.

San Angel Inn, Grand Floridian Cafe, Raglan Rd she could mix and match, and we were charged according to exactly what she ordered.

The rest was a character meal, dinner show or she ordered from the adult menu.

Thank you. I appreciate your posting this information.

I order about 70% off the kids meals (if not fried or burgers) or just order an app for dinner and I have never had a problem, last being in January. We eat dinner at sit down restaurants, usually signature. At those restaurants, I usually order an app and then another app for dinner if I'm too stuffed. We never have a problem but we are always ordering alcohol so maybe they feel like they make up the difference of bill with that but not sure.

I'll find out in two weeks YEY

I order about 70% off the kids meals (if not fried or burgers) or just order an app for dinner and I have never had a problem, last being in January. We eat dinner at sit down restaurants, usually signature. At those restaurants, I usually order an app and then another app for dinner if I'm too stuffed. We never have a problem but we are always ordering alcohol so maybe they feel like they make up the difference of bill with that but not sure.

So do your order an app, eat that and then decide what to order next? So you don’t order two courses at the outset?

We have never had any issues with our older kids ordering off of the children's menu when we are on the deluxe dining plan. I don't remember of any issues where we have asked to order an "adult" appetizer and a kids meal either. Maybe it is hit or miss and we have been lucky. But we have done it quite a bit.

Are you talking about this from the perspective of being on the Disney Dining Plan?
I think the poster is saying she paid the adult Disney dining plan price required for her 15 year old daughter but her daughter had difficulty ordering what she wanted or they were charged exorbitant prices (65$?????) for daughter's meal although she was on the dining plan????
I have never used the dining plan it's just way too much food that you feel forced to eat because you paid for it in advance, never seemed like a savings when we crunched the numbers.

Last edited:

Was your plan to pay OOP for her? If you were on the DxDDP what did it matter?

My plan was to use the credits, but at Le Cellier is seemed ridiculous to use 2 credits on an $18 meal, so I did pay OOP. My point was I would think if she wanted the salmon, which was only on the kids menu, she would be able to order that and any dessert she wanted off of either menu, but she was only allowed to get a kids dessert if she ordered a kids entree. She did not want carrot sticks or a kids dessert, so this was her entire meal.

65?! Do you think it was an error and they meant to do 6.50?! That seems outrageous.

Not an error. I questioned it. Since my meal and my husbands was $65, hers was too, because they "adult sized" it. It didnt matter what the price ws since we were using 2 credts anyway. I can only imagine they charged that to increase the tip amount. No other explanation.

We have never had any issues with our older kids ordering off of the children's menu when we are on the deluxe dining plan. I don't remember of any issues where we have asked to order an "adult" appetizer and a kids meal either. Maybe it is hit or miss and we have been. But we have done it quite a bit.

We never had an issue in the past either. We could mix and match across menus. We have been when she was 11 and 13. Now 15 and the rules changed, but its not consistant at every restaurant.

I think the poster is saying she paid the adult Disney dining plan price required for her 15 year old daughter but her daughter had difficulty ordering what she wanted or they were charged exorbitant prices (65$?????) for daughter's meal although she was on the dining plan????

Yes. I feel, since she was an adult on the DxDDP she should have been able to order an adult dessert, and/or appetizer even though she ordered a kids entree. They would not let her at some restaurants. This was never the policy in the past.

The way it seems now, if you are ordering a kids entree, you will not be able to order an adult app at the same time, at some restaurants. The real adults in our party also ordered alcohol..they didnt care we were already spending $400+ per meal. Nor did they care we paid for an adult on the DxDDP, and were using an adult credit regardless. Just didnt make sense to me.

We go to WDW multiple times of year and my DS11 has been mixing and matching from the kids and adult menus for at least 7 years with zero issues. He’s 11 now and still does it. I will speculate that your issue stems from purchasing DxDP and how the restaurants need to charge guests for meals within that system. We always pay OOP. You may want to forego the dining plan next time if your daughter eats so sparsely and wants kids items. You will save money and have far more flexibility when ordering.

I will start by saying we had ADRs for 22 TS restaurants, all for 3 adults. I did not think to reserve for 2 adults/1 child since my DD is 15. Also, we were on the DxDDP.
You reserved correctly. Your party consisted of their guests ages 10 and above. Your daughter is your child, but not a child regarding theme parks.
At Via Napoli, we were flat out denied a kids menu. They are only given to guests 9 and under.
Via Napoli is extremely strict regarding the dining plans, as it is allowed to be in its agreement with Disney.
At LTT and Le Cellier we were told if she ordered an entree from the kids menu, the app and dessert would also have to be ordered from the kids menu. She could not get a kids entree and an adult dessert. We were charged the kids price from the menu.
LTT restrictions are surprising, given that Disney owns it.
At Brown Derby she ordered a hotdog and fries...got 3 hot dogs and 2 buckets of fries (and drink) and was charged $65!!
Yeah, you're right. They probably used the menu cost of the actual adult meals to set a price for her adult-size kid meal. For tipping purposes. Hindsight is, of course, 20/20. In the future, you* could (a) adamantly specify that she wants/will only eat the child size portion (who eats three hot dogs at a sitting?!?; (b) speak with a manager about the pricing :scared1:; (c) both.

*or she

Thanks so much for this information. I usually order kid's meals at QS, but I haven't tried it at TS. If they "adult-size" the kids meals, that wouldn't work for me, since the reason I want to order kids meals is that I have such a small appetite (except usually when it comes to dessert!) Like someone else here said, I usually just order an appetizer and dessert, and that looks like the only option I'll have. Hopefully, I can still order kids meals at QS on my next trip-if I can mobile order, they can't see that I'm really an adult so hopefully those places will work.

Thanks so much for this information. I usually order kid's meals at QS, but I haven't tried it at TS. If they "adult-size" the kids meals, that wouldn't work for me, since the reason I want to order kids meals is that I have such a small appetite (except usually when it comes to dessert!) Like someone else here said, I usually just order an appetizer and dessert, and that looks like the only option I'll have. Hopefully, I can still order kids meals at QS on my next trip-if I can mobile order, they can't see that I'm really an adult so hopefully those places will work.

If you’re not on the dining plan you shouldn’t have any issues ordering kids meals. Nobody says a word to us at qs when we order kids meal from a cashier and there are clearly no kids in sight.

I find it strange you need to ask and it's not just listed. Could this just have to do with the dining plan usage? Can't imagine it's an issue if paying with cash.

My mind is blown at the $65 hot dog meal! Good frickin grief!!!!!! Absolutely insane. I agree with a previous poster, that it sounds like the dining plan is not effective for your daughter. I would either stop getting the dining plan for your family, OR use her credits for the adults to eat at more signature restaurants and see what you can order off the menu OOP for her more limited tastes.

I will say, that I also understand age restrictions when it comes to the kids meal, so I think any place that honors the price for someone clearly older than 9, is being nice about it and it cannot be an expectation. I understand the frustration with that, as I have a 10 year old daughter charged as an adult. le sigh.

Was your dinner at Brown Derby part of a package, such as Fastasmic, since the $65 per adult seems inline with that and all of you were charged the same price?

I think the root of the issue is the dining plan and how a server rings up the meal. I’m wondering if the system doesn’t automatically recognize coverage of mix of child meal items and regular menu items. Some servers may know how to get them all covered by one credit and others may not, which would result in out of pocket charges. In those cases it might be easier to just have someone order from only one is the menus, not a mix.

We don’t use a dining plan and we often order kids meals from QS with no issues at all. We have never been able to pay the kids meal price at TS for an obvious adult, when ordering from the kids menu. We usually get charged $12-$15 for a larger portion of the kids meal, even the few times we haven’t wanted the larger portion.

Thank you for this. I also have a 15 year old picky eater (ASD) so this is good information. It is frustrating to pay adult prices for kid food, but we never use the DDP. He is fairly understanding at this age, if there is nothing on a restaurant menu that he will eat, about allowing the rest of the family to eat their adult meals and nibbling on someones fries, and then getting a quick service meal later by himself, so it isn't as much of an issue. Buffets are usually an easy option for everyone since he can just grab the kids food and no one cares.

Was your dinner at Brown Derby part of a package, such as Fastasmic, since the $65 per adult seems inline with that and all of you were charged the same price?

I think the root of the issue is the dining plan and how a server rings up the meal. I’m wondering if the system doesn’t automatically recognize coverage of mix of child meal items and regular menu items. Some servers may know how to get them all covered by one credit and others may not, which would result in out of pocket charges. In those cases it might be easier to just have someone order from only one is the menus, not a mix.

We don’t use a dining plan and we often order kids meals from QS with no issues at all. We have never been able to pay the kids meal price at TS for an obvious adult, when ordering from the kids menu. We usually get charged $12-$15 for a larger portion of the kids meal, even the few times we haven’t wanted the larger portion.

Exactly what I was thinking. The Fantasmic package is listed as $63+tax so that would be in line with what was charged. Especially since the OP said their meal and the other adult’s meal were the same price. Smells like a package to me.

So do your order an app, eat that and then decide what to order next? So you don’t order two courses at the outset?
Yes, my family and friends all enjoy a relaxing dinner, without rushing, we order a drink, order drinks and apps, when done, maybe another drink and then decide on our meals. Usually, what we (or I) intended on having, I'm usually too full to eat and just order an app. I do not do this to save money, but I cannot stand putting in a full order and then have it come out so quickly. I hate having the apps still on the table and they are coming out with dinner, too rushed for me, although I know many on here and on my cruise boards, like in/out in/under an hour. This seems to happen more in the South, IMO. We just came back from a week at our TS in HHI and we had to make sure we didn't order all at the same time or we would get our meal so quickly. One restaurant in the beginning of the week, there were seven of us in/out of a restaurant in an hour. Too quickly for my family.

Are you talking about this from the perspective of being on the Disney Dining Plan?
I have never used the dining plan it's just way too much food that you feel forced to eat because you paid for it in advance, never seemed like a savings when we crunched the numbers.
Oh, sorry. No. I do not get the dining plan. Not worth it to us. We are DVC and use TiW and that works well for us.

Last edited:
If you’re not on the dining plan you shouldn’t have any issues ordering kids meals. Nobody says a word to us at qs when we order kids meal from a cashier and there are clearly no kids in sight.
I will say, that I also understand age restrictions when it comes to the kids meal,

Just to clarify, we had no issues, other than Via Napoli, getting a kids menu and being able to order a kids meal. The issue I experienced was that if she ordered a kids entree, she could not get an adult app or adult dessert. She had to order the entire meal from the kids menu if ordering the kids entree. This was only some places, noted in my original post. Other places did allow her to mix and match between menus and charges accordingly. The other issue is because she is an adult, they supersized some of her meals and charged more than the kids meal price. Not an issue for me, as we were using credits, but for some paying OOP, they may be shocked when they bill comes.

I just wanted those Disney adults, who order kids entrees to know this is what I experienced so they are not shocked if it happens to them. This is the first time ever we experienced any issue with a disney adult mixing and matching between menus. For those who say they never had an issue, neither did I until this trip. We still had a wonderful trip and my DD never left a meal hungry!

Yes, we had the Fantasmic package.

Every place she ordered a kids entree I asked not to supersize and explained she is not a big eater and it would be a waste of food. Some did not care, and did anyway :(

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter