August 2014 Car Rental Deal Watch!

Anyone know what a "drop off fee" is? I'm trying to rent from Tampa and drop off at Dolphin using KLM code from National. Two day rate is 189.79 but I'm being charged a $399 drop off fee. I've rented from Orlando and dropped off in Tampa using this code in the past and didn't get charged this fee. The only other rate I've found is Alamo and it is $300 for a Sat-Mon rental since I need to drop off at Dolphin. I did try to see if I could get rid of the drop off fee by going to Orlando but it is still there. :worried:

The "drop off" fee can come into play on a one-way rental. The concept ( though not the amount) is based on the additional effort the company has to go to to get the car back to the original location to manage inventory. (Imagine if everyone picked up a car in Tampa and left it in Orlando- how would the cars get back to Tampa for the next rental?).

There is no requirement that a company charge for this- in some cases and times, inventory naturally balanced. In others (like probably rentals in May) car rental companies will offer very low rates for one-way rentals to move inventory from Florida to markets in the northeast for summer travel.

I haven't seen any Budget codes recently, although, perhaps check Mousesavers.com?

I just went on to Costco's website and got a price through Budget for 281 for 8/8 through 8/17. It's actually cheaper than National with KLM code (which I feel iffy about using). I may book it (btw, I am a Costco member).

I was glad to find this thread, but I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong place.

I want to rent a car for my trip in August, but not in Orlando!! We are driving down, and I would like to keep the mileage off my car (2008 with 183K on it already!)

My choices are more limited, since I'm not near any large cities or airports, but there is at least one branch of all the major players near enough to me. Would the codes I see on here be likely to work in NY?

Cheap Traveler - If you go to mousesavers.com and click in their transportation section they have codes for a bunch of different car rental places. Most of the codes will work for picking up a car anywhere. Check those out. Many of them only go through June as of right now, but they will come out with August ones soon.

Also, sometimes I've found good deals at carrentalsavers.com.

The last few years I've gone to the Visa website and clicked on the Discounts link. They have a code for Alamo that is a good deal. You just have to pay with a Visa. However, again you'll have to wait a few weeks for the dates to be valid.

Happy hunting!

Thank you Swimmergirl!

So far I have found a car (Chrysler 200 or similar, I think they call it standard) for $250 for 8/22 - 9/1. This builds in an extra day at the end so I don't have to rush home.

I checked all the rentals within 10 miles of work (since I live in a very rural area) and this was the best - it's with Avis and I have 2 codes stacked!

Going to check out Mousesavers later!!

TY!

I just checked the costco web site and got an avenger for 13 days at 477.00. Is this a good price or should I wait a bite more.

I just checked the costco web site and got an avenger for 13 days at 477.00. Is this a good price or should I wait a bite more.

First question, considering your location, is that USD or CD?

If it is USD it is a mediocre price, esp. if that is before taxes. If it is CD, I don't know the exchange rate, so...

However, if you do not have any reservation better than that at the moment, go ahead and reserve it (unless Costco charges for cancellations, not a member, I don't know their policies).

Then, at least you have some sort of rental. Then, between now and your trip, depending on how ---compulsive -- you are, check all the companies/agencies ten times per day -- or check one or two of them once or twice a month -- to see if you can improve on your rates.

A check of hotwire for 13 days at the end of August comes back at $33 per day with all taxes, etc. for a mid-size such as an Avenger.

So, with some hardwork, I would think you should be able to get around $22-$25 per day easily.

Of course, this year is especially "high" in prices, so....????

We have a larger vehicle (midsize SUV) booked for a longer period (16 days) for a lower price ($470 taxes in).

If the Costco rental is the best price you are finding for your specific dates, and the rental is cancellable, then I would go ahead and book it (so your rental cant go any higher in the interim) then keep your eyes peeled for the rates to go down, usually dramatically around 6-8 weeks from your travel date. At that time, you could rebook at the lower price then cancel the Costco reservation :thumbsup2 .

You can always cancel through them so keep it but I am sure it will get way cheaper as we are about two months before your dates. I've rented a Full Size for far less than that. Keep checking every day is my advice, and keep checking even after what you think is your best rate because I've seen it continue to go down more and more sometimes. I've cancelled and rebooked sometimes 10x because of my persistence in checking it real quick once a day.

Thank you for your wise comments. I checked this morning again and the price went down. I think we are going to wait a bite. I saw the same reservation going down by 65.00 in the past. I am just worried that the prices will go up as I am not familiar with renting a car. I want to get the best deal that I can for our family....:drive:

If you mean you want to wait a bit AND YOU ALREADY HAVE A CAR RESERVED, fine.

If you do not have any car reserved and you want to wait a bit, not very smart.

I got my recent best price in an few hour window, three & a half months out from my rental. I booked it immediately.

By the next morning that price was up $250....but since I had booked it the night before, I was gold. And I never did find a price to beat that late night find.

Woopwoop.... Just book our car rental for 407.00 through Costco. We ended up calling budget and they gave us a better price than on the web site.:cool1:
We are very happy ....

Woopwoop.... Just book our car rental for 407.00 through Costco. We ended up calling budget and they gave us a better price than on the web site.:cool1:
We are very happy ....

Great job on securing a better rate :thumbsup2 .

That said....assuming your Costco rental is cancellable, don't stop looking at prices. You may be fortunate in snagging a much better deal as August approaches. We have had our rates drop significantly around the 4-6 weeks from travel mark.

I'm looking for a standard through Alamo 8/21 @7am - 9/2 @ 12pm. Anyone have any codes to share? I know it's really early but I like to start my pricing then I cancel and re-book each time the price goes down. Right now I have a res with Alamo for $542.65 for a standard. That's crazy but it's a starting place.

I'm looking for a standard through Alamo 8/21 @7am - 9/2 @ 12pm. Anyone have any codes to share? I know it's really early but I like to start my pricing then I cancel and re-book each time the price goes down. Right now I have a res with Alamo for $542.65 for a standard. That's crazy but it's a starting place.

Alamo, which is usually my "go-to" for leisure rentals, has been MONSTER high this season -- at least for me.

Example: Renting a compact in Southern California starting Wednesday.. Alamo wants $280 for three days.

Even Hertz is cheaper.....

And, no, I have not found any Alamo codes that do much.

This has been true for three "leisure rentals" since January.

Anyway, I guess my point is that you might want to try another "dog" for this particular race -- knowing, of course, that Alamo might just make a mad dash at some point and come out ahead.

Alamo, which is usually my "go-to" for leisure rentals, has been MONSTER high this season -- at least for me.

Example: Renting a compact in Southern California starting Wednesday.. Alamo wants $280 for three days.

Even Hertz is cheaper.....

And, no, I have not found any Alamo codes that do much.

This has been true for three "leisure rentals" since January.

Anyway, I guess my point is that you might want to try another "dog" for this particular race -- knowing, of course, that Alamo might just make a mad dash at some point and come out ahead.

I have found Alamo extremely high, as well. Our last Disney trip, I booked really early and I think we paid less than 200 (or around there). Now, I'm not seeing anything less than 450! Crazy!

In my experience, you are WAY too early to snag an Alamo deal. For our last two August trips (and one of our January vacations) the "sweet spot" for Alamo pricing was between 4 and 6 weeks from your travel date. Then prices dropped like a stone, beating even the National rate using the KLM discount code, before going back up again.

We love Alamo, and its "familiar" for us, so if at all possible, that's who we use. Rest assured we will all be watching and waiting for those Alamo rates to decline :) . Pricing for my two-week rental is ridonkulous right now too :eek: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter