• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2020 Reservations-still going?

I think the 2 players that tested positive when arriving in WDW were still in their initial quarantine upon arriving. There were additional players that tested positive prior to leaving for WDW and are quarantining in their home markets until they are cleared to travel to WDW. So I do think their procedures are in place appropriately, at least for the initial stage of their restart. It will be more telling to see if after this initial quarantine/test period if any players test positive if they are ensconced in the bubble and do not leave. I saw that 2 other players are in quarantine now for leaving the bubble to pick up take out food (DS14 is a huge NBA fan so tells me all the news).
Yeah these were new arrivals.

Still planning on going. DH has to work in an environment that exposes him everyday. We have thus far not gotten Covid, but plenty of people we know have. It’s pretty much everywhere now so we will be cautious but grateful we can visit Disney world. If school plans change or quarantine happens we would look at October/ November.

We had to cancel. The quarantine in PA for people returning from Florida did it. It's not mandatory as per the state, but none of our employers would regard it as optional, and would not be happy with us for having made the decision to go anyway. Also despite Disney's obvious care, the way Florida's numbers are exploding gave us some pause (we think we've had it, but my husband is fairly high risk, and no one seems to be certain how immunity works with this virus).

We're booked for Cedar Point in Ohio, and crossing our fingers that nothing super exciting happens with the numbers in PA or OH.

I think the 2 players that tested positive when arriving in WDW were still in their initial quarantine upon arriving. There were additional players that tested positive prior to leaving for WDW and are quarantining in their home markets until they are cleared to travel to WDW. So I do think their procedures are in place appropriately, at least for the initial stage of their restart. It will be more telling to see if after this initial quarantine/test period if any players test positive if they are ensconced in the bubble and do not leave. I saw that 2 other players are in quarantine now for leaving the bubble to pick up take out food (DS14 is a huge NBA fan so tells me all the news).

Thanks for clarifying. I had heard they were staying at the GF and only stepped to the lobby to pickup their food order. But since you’re saying they left WDW property I guess it makes more sense.

We had to cancel. The quarantine in PA for people returning from Florida did it. It's not mandatory as per the state, but none of our employers would regard it as optional, and would not be happy with us for having made the decision to go anyway. Also despite Disney's obvious care, the way Florida's numbers are exploding gave us some pause (we think we've had it, but my husband is fairly high risk, and no one seems to be certain how immunity works with this virus).

We're booked for Cedar Point in Ohio, and crossing our fingers that nothing super exciting happens with the numbers in PA or OH.
We live in Ohio and have a trip booked August 6 to 12. Is there a quarantine for us when we return from Florida? Where do I go to find this out ?

Thanks for clarifying. I had heard they were staying at the GF and only stepped to the lobby to pickup their food order. But since you’re saying they left WDW property I guess it makes more sense.

The way I understood, at least for the Kings player, it sounded like he picked up a food delivery somewhere on the GF property but it was outside the "bubble" and he inadvertently crossed it. It sounded like the player was trying to be compliant with the rules and it was an accident. It mentioned the other player did something similar....so I am guessing they need to tighten up their procedures on this to help prevent it from occurring again.

We're in the same position. Scheduled for 8/18 but waiting to see what the positivity and quarantine situation is closer to that date. Likelihood is that we won't go, as the situation doesn't seem to be headed towards improvement.

Do you honestly believe Disney is able to create a Covid "bubble" in his parks/hotels?

All those thousands of employees go home and interact with their community at the end of their shift...

Yes. I feel I am actually safer at Disney/Universal than going to the local grocery store or big box store. This is what I responded earlier in this thread:

I agree, but I also feel from what I have now seen in the parks with the precautions in place, that even if a CM (or other guest) had COVID but did not know and was asymptomatic that the risk of transmission is very low given what they have in place. Not to mention the scientific guidance changes daily on if an asymptomatic person is or isn't contagious as well. I am comfortable with the precautions in place to screen employees and guests for that are symptomatic as well. I am NOT comfortable with the area in general though, which is why we are choosing to stay onsite and not leave at both Universal and Disney and trust that their screening measures work. Given that employees at Disney Springs and Universal have tested positive but outbreaks have not been traced back to them (at least not yet) to the general public, I think what they are doing is working.

I had to reschedule due to the extension of the quarantine on people from NY coming in to FL.

Fingers crossed now for the end of October. We ended up at Kidani, which was no where on my list of places I wanted to stay, but who knows, maybe we’ll love it.
We own DVC at Kidani - it's great! I know it doesn't have the proximity to the parks, but you really do feel transported into the theming. I think it's a great post-quarantine spot because you will feel like you're in such a different place. The hallways are endlessly long, so if you're not renting a car, I recommend requesting a room near the lobby or near transportation. It's a 5-minute walk over to Jambo to see their grand lobby, large gift shop, and get quick service food.

Still planning on going. DH has to work in an environment that exposes him everyday. We have thus far not gotten Covid, but plenty of people we know have. It’s pretty much everywhere now so we will be cautious but grateful we can visit Disney world. If school plans change or quarantine happens we would look at October/ November.
We are in a similar boat - DH has to fly and work at a job site that has had positive cases. I don't know if that makes it more sense to go on vacation or if it's worse, because if he manages to avoid getting COVID at work, and he gets it on vacation, I'll feel really badly.

That said, August friends, we postponed our trip. We were supposed to go the last week in August (which was previously an April trip). I moved it to the last week of September, the latest I could go before our DVC points expire. Fingers crossed.

The closer our trip gets the more on the fence I am. Seeing the parks open is so great but the reality of what’s going on just feels even more... real now. Really hoping things improve in the next three weeks but not holding my breath.

we are 4 weeks out and I can’t bring myself to cancel just yet. A few months ago, there was no way it was possible to go. A few weeks ago there was hope and I let myself plan. Today I just feel so conflicted and sad. Not pity party sad or sad for myself. Just sad at the world. My potentially cancelled trip is one of a billion insignificant pieces of sadness compared to others, but it’s my sadness nonetheless. I’m completely with you.

I’ve seen people make this comment on multiple threads and I have to wonder.....where do people shop? :crazy:

If you have seen the Walmart shopper memes, well that pretty much sums up what shopping at most of the big box box stores (not just Walmart) is like in my area. I have been to other areas of the country and not had the same experience in big box stores, but around here it's interesting, to say the least.

We own DVC at Kidani - it's great! I know it doesn't have the proximity to the parks, but you really do feel transported into the theming. I think it's a great post-quarantine spot because you will feel like you're in such a different place. The hallways are endlessly long, so if you're not renting a car, I recommend requesting a room near the lobby or near transportation. It's a 5-minute walk over to Jambo to see their grand lobby, large gift shop, and get quick service food.

We are in a similar boat - DH has to fly and work at a job site that has had positive cases. I don't know if that makes it more sense to go on vacation or if it's worse, because if he manages to avoid getting COVID at work, and he gets it on vacation, I'll feel really badly.
What exactly does your husband do to stay safe from COVID? In case we go to Disney does he have any good advice?

I have a trip planned in late August and am on the fence but will wait longer to see what happens. Regarding grocery stores, in my area we are in Phase two with limited capacities in stores. During phase one, the grocery stores were cleaning carts, had hand sanitizer and wipes out for customers, someone at the door counting customers, reduced hours, and senior hours. Once we went to phase two, they expanded back to the old hours, discontinued senior shopping hours, stopped cleaning, and have no one at the door to enforce reduced capacity. It's like they think it all went away with phase two.

I have a trip planned in late August and am on the fence but will wait longer to see what happens. Regarding grocery stores, in my area we are in Phase two with limited capacities in stores. During phase one, the grocery stores were cleaning carts, had hand sanitizer and wipes out for customers, someone at the door counting customers, reduced hours, and senior hours. Once we went to phase two, they expanded back to the old hours, discontinued senior shopping hours, stopped cleaning, and have no one at the door to enforce reduced capacity. It's like they think it all went away with phase two.
Yes same here! The virus is worse now than when they were taking all the precautions. No cleaning carts, no hours for seniors, or anything here.
They also want kids to go back to school!
😩

Do you honestly believe Disney is able to create a Covid "bubble" in his parks/hotels?

All those thousands of employees go home and interact with their community at the end of their shift...
In a word, yes. I believe Disney has created an ideal model of how we can get back to normal. Full mask compliance, regular hand washing, regular sanitation of hands and touch surfaces, what would you improve? It has to start somewhere, and I've lost all faith in our government on all levels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter