August 2021: Florida has more new Covid cases than ever before

We have a trip planned for October. We thought it was going to be better this fall because the vaccine is available, but watching the news this week kind of freaked me out and now I don’t know what to do. We have Boo Bash tickets. We booked a room with DVC points. It would suck to lose all of that.

To sort of follow up on my previous post, allow me to draw attention to the best possible scenario given these circumstances. Look at the data in Georgia. The other day they recorded more than 20 times the number of infections than a month earlier. Their rolling seven day average is up ten fold. BUT - deaths have not budged at all.

Again, most optimistic reading of this is infections are no longer the metric of value, and we can largely stop basing public health measures on them. But of course only time will tell. Waiting is truly the hardest part.

I was coming on here to get a sense about what other Canadians are doing about their trips in August and September.
We still have time to decide as we are going Sept 12... but if things don't improve over the next few weeks, we are going to cancel and cut our losses.
I can't believe that Florida is so bad with cases right now considering there is a vaccine.
I can't believe in the span of a month I've re-booked a Sept trip because I didn't think testing/isolation would be dropped in time, regretted it because things seemed to be moving towards full/unrestricted travel, and now I'm wondering if Delta (the variant, not the airline) will cause everything to shut down again. What a ride. 🤪

We leave in less than a week. We are still going, mainly because we will forfeit DVC points if we don't use them now. However, this will be a very different trip for us. Extremely limited park time. No waiting in ride lines. We have a VIP Tour booked for the last day, so we'll do our most wanted rides then (no line waiting). We also got a Polynesian Bungalow, so we will be spending a lot of time there (we love them) -- no elevators or anything. All in all just playing it as smart as possible and doing outdoor non-park activities while avoiding standing in crowds or ride lines. So it's going to be a new kind of Disney vacation, but still amid the magic. We plan to mask almost always when there are other people around in big numbers (even outdoors).
I mean, if you're going to take a resort-heavy trip, you really couldn't have picked a better location than Poly Bungalows 🥰 -especially now that they've just finished refurbishing them - they're GORGEOUS.

I mean, if you're going to take a resort-heavy trip, you really couldn't have picked a better location than Poly Bungalows 🥰 -especially now that they've just finished refurbishing them - they're GORGEOUS.
Yeah, it sorted of worked out the best it could with having all of the extra DVC piled up from the past 18 months :) Last time we stayed in them we didn't want to leave and would blow off FastPasses just to chill on the deck. Now that will be a more important option to have, lol.

We leave in less than a week. We are still going, mainly because we will forfeit DVC points if we don't use them now. However, this will be a very different trip for us. Extremely limited park time. No waiting in ride lines. We have a VIP Tour booked for the last day, so we'll do our most wanted rides then (no line waiting). We also got a Polynesian Bungalow, so we will be spending a lot of time there (we love them) -- no elevators or anything. All in all just playing it as smart as possible and doing outdoor non-park activities while avoiding standing in crowds or ride lines. So it's going to be a new kind of Disney vacation, but still amid the magic. We plan to mask almost always when there are other people around in big numbers (even outdoors).
I know this might not be the trip you originally envisioned but I have to say I think this sounds like a fantastic trip you have put together!!

I know this might not be the trip you originally envisioned but I have to say I think this sounds like a fantastic trip you have put together!!
Thank you very much :) We have adjusted our expectations along the way...and in a strange way it is sort of fun planning this alt/non park Disney vacation. Now, as you can appreciate, as Canadians our main stress is passing the covid test when we're down there so that we can fly back home :0

This just solidifies my decision to NOT purchase the Christmas DAH tickets. I know we still have time until end of November, but weren't we saying that back in May / June and feeling super confident for Fall trips? ugh

Florida is likely to get a lot worse which is scary but hopefully after this wave will be an extended period of low case numbers. I'm really hoping things are better by December.

Us too. I think it’s reverse there than here. We go up in winter bc it’s cold and ppl move inside, there it’s miserably hot and humid and ppl go indoors for Ac ..
Even my big kid is unsure now. And he was he$$bent we were going regardless not that long ago

It seems to be about 6 months from peak to peak if you look at the graphs. Hopefully, timing for December should be good to be at the lower end.

I hope so. I keep saying that it's still months away and I'm sure we are going in the right direction.

I am sitting on this same fence regarding our hopeful two week Christmas Disney vacation. The news is terrifying right now, especially for our two children that can't be vaccinated because of their age. We do plan on booking this week, ensuring that we have cancellation insurance on everything as well as Covid insurance. That way we can bail and choose a different destination if needed.

I saw on the news that Disney is mandating vaccines for all its employees, and I feel that most travelers will be vaccinated (maybe wishful/naïve thinking). I'm thinking of it as the travel bubble:) But who knows, maybe everything will shut down again. Fingers crossed this fourth wave passes quickly.

I just cancelled our October trip yesterday. ☹Our under 12 kids aren’t vaccinated and the idea of leaving a province with about 250 cases (and a city with about 5-8 per day) to a state with 20,000+ cases just seemed unfathomable to me. We were in Florida when the borders were closing in March and the plane ride home was so uncomfortable with every cough and sniffle you heard I wouldn’t want to repeat it in the current environment. I’m so annoyed they don’t have their act together and vaccinations rates are still an issue but what can you do:confused3. Wishing everyone who is still going on their trips a healthy, safe and fun time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter