August at Ft Wilderness

Talking Hands

<font color=purple><b>|,,|/</b> DEAF DISNEY LOVER<
I know I am crazy but i will be tent camping at Ft Wilderness from Aug 21 through Aug25. I am disabled and use a power wheelchair but can walk short distances. Does anyone know if all the rest stations have a handicapped shower stall with a drop down seat? I would have a difficult time standing in a shower long enough to get clean without fear of falling. I will not have anyone with me on this trip.

i have not been in EVERy comfort station, but all that I have seen do have a wheelchair shower stall with a drop down seat, you should not have a problem

Thanks Scott. I got a fabulous rate and I'm really looking forward to this.

Sounds like fun. I bet WDW Special Reservations could let you know for sure if all the comfort staions have accessible showers.
I'm curious what you do with your wheelchair when you tent camp. We haven't tent camped since our kids were born. We discussed doing it once, but thought it was not a good idea since:
1) we'd need a really big tent to get DD's wheelchair in it.
2) we'd have to worry about DD knocking the tent down with her wheelchair.
3) we wouldn't have room in the van for all the camping supplies with the wheelchair.

Sue
WDW Special Reservations could not help at all. They referred me to FT Wilderness who said they couldn't talk to me until I was in their system which is less than a week prior to the trip. I'll already be in Orlando at that point at a convention. I'm staying at the Rosen Centre Hotel for that and then heading for RnR at Ft Wilderness when the convention ends.
Tent camping is ok for me since I need the Chair for distance and not around the campsite.

I can't imagine what they are thinking when they treat a guest like this, how hard would it have been to just answer the question:( :confused:

I put it back in the van and plug it in with an extension cord. I also have a cover for it if need be.

Got an email back from Guest Services and they told me that there are restrooms that I need in the partial hookup loops. Just hop that is where they put me. No guarantees on the reservation so I hope it is noted. I am not at all comfortable with this.

It looks like I will have company on the trip. My friend and fellow consultant told me last night he would like to go to Jubilee as well. Then he will stay at the campgounds with me. My dh is fine with it. He is deaf so well will be pretty quiet neighbors for someone. :) Of ocurse the alarm clock is pretty loud :-)

We will up and out early I suspect.

FW does have the disabled showers. But I understand your concern I would fax your request over to the Front Desk about 3 days before your arrival, explaining that your are a disabled guests who is very concerned. If you tell me the room code on your confirmation & rate. I can probably tell you what type of site you have reserved.

Special Reservations certainly doesn't sound very special. You would think they would rather get your question settled ASAP both for their own scheduling and to make sure your needs are taken care of. :confused:
Good luck and hope you get what you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter