August Event: Estimated Pin Costs

Eeyore's Pal

Trading pins since before there were rubber backs
I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. I just had to figure out what to budget for the trip.

From today's WDW flyer: "Over 30 pins released during the 4-day celebration."

Assumptions:
1. Most pins will be LEs; some new rack pins too.
2. LEs start at $8.50, most are no more than $10.50, and a few are $12-$15.

8 pins at 6.50 = 52.00
10 pins at 8.50 = 85.00
10 pins at 10.50 = 105.00
2 pins at 12.00 = 24.00
2 pins at 15.00 = 30.00
subtotal $296.00
6% FL tax 17.76
TOTAL $313.76

If each person buys two of each pin (one to keep/one to trade):

2-PIN TOTAL $627.52

For a party of two, purchasing two of each pin:

<fontcolor=red>4-PIN TOTAL $1255.04</font>

The good news . . .
I figured out that my DH and I can still afford this if we eat absolutely nothing from now until we leave for WDW on August 9th.
;)

how much money I will need to send you. It is not that much by any means. Boy, my little bit won't go very far will it.

I wish I was as optimistic as you are. I'm hoping for at least one pin between the two of us. I figured with my luck my name probably won't make the lottery each day. I'm just hoping for an extra to trade for what I miss. Thank goodness my DCMH is going to the breakfast so that I can trade those pooh pins for pins I really want/or don't get the opportunity to buy. I saw a picture of the August pins on another thread and they look great.

Don't forget though, if they do this lottery, you won't have the opportunity to buy every pin that is released. I guess there will be alot of trading going on to get what you want!!

Leslie

WOW that estimate is pretty high however, if i am able to get the summer job i want i will end up having enough to buy all the pins i want.

Ryan

I spent a wad on pins and that was just in DL/DCA with few LE's available. :rolleyes:
The rule of thumb is take half as much luggage as you think you will need and twice as much cash. I always seem to have that backwards.....:confused:

Wow Robyn, gosh I cant even come close to affording that....not in this lifetime anyway....holy cow. Guess I will have to be happy with the lottery as it will be saving me cash...yikes

OK, Reality Check.

I guess there may be a few people who can consider buying two of each, assuming they even have the opportunity to buy two of each. Without knowing the details of the lottery, it's hard to know how that will play into these calculations.

And, speaking for myself, I was never planning to buy even one of everything. I guess I was figuring on buying one of everything that fit into my collection or the collections of one of my family members. Depending on what we spend to accomplish that, we probably would spend enough to cover 15-20 trader pins.

Of course, without seeing the whole gamut of pins to be released, it's kind of hard to calculate a more realistic estimate.

So, in the end, I think we'll stop eating . . . and buying gas . . . and paying the mortgage . . .:jester:

I plan on trying to trade for as many as possible.
But am planning a little extra cash for the auction.

Anyone want to rent a really hard working 16 yo - only $50.00 a day? (one way to raise pin money!!)

I see this turning more and more ridiculous, almost unreachable... Now, that is an amazing amount for a single activity!

I hope Disney does not lead pin collecting into what the beanies turned out.

Wanda

The numbers are frightening -- especially when I will keep having to remind JudySue that we are going to Disneyana less than a month away. Of course, her comment will be how they will be great trading material since most people at Disneyana will not have been to the pin event.

Luv2Roam - That happened to me on the last trip! I thought I had plenty of room for all the stuff I bought. NOT EVEN CLOSE! Ended up leaving a few "unimportant" items there.

Tigger's mom - I may have to rent myself out for this one! Especially as I don't have any kids. Wonder if I could do an 80-20 split with some of the kids at the Boys & Girls Club where I work.....

I agree with you, Wanda...but I wonder how they can possibly escape "the cycle." It happens with all collectibles that get very hot very quickly...sports cards, beanies, pins...I'm hoping the fun of it will last a while longer before the turning of the tides.

we could make one of our adventures for the pin meet, a bank robbery, who ever gets the most cash, gets the most pins....anyone want to sign up??????JUST KIDDING of course....but oh my I may have to hide in the car so I am not tempted.....I can feel my master card crying already...:confused:

How about a Lotto pool? Win the big jackpot, buy all the pins!!;)

Leslie

Robbing a bank is a good idea...

In the early 80's, I started collecting basketball cards. Everybody else collected baseball cards, so I felt pretty safe in my hobby.

Then Da Bulls started winning championships, Michael Jordan became a legend and basketball cards became popular. All of a sudden sets were popping up everywhere! I simply could not keep up. I had to give it up, it became too expensive. I refused to sell my collection, thought I thought about it many times. I am holding on to it for my boys, fondly remembering all the nights my oldest son and I stayed up watching the playoffs.

I only need three more pins to complete my entire AK collection, but I hope it won't be torturing every time new AK pins come out! I am afraid it will lead into that, though...

Wanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter