• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani 10 days or Aulani 5 and Maui 5?

yolie912

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I am deciding if I should do 10 days in Aulani or 5 Aulani and 5 Maui?
What do you guys think? Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Aulani is my favorite Oahu resort, and Maui is my favorite island. So, for me, it would be 5 days Aulani and 5 days Maui.

Hi,

Thanks!

Sounds perfect to me. I love Maui. I'm thinking about doing an Aulani/Kauai combo.

Hi,

Thanks!

Have you been to Hawaii before? If not then I'd probably recommend the 5/5 split so you can check out both islands which are quite different.

Maui has long been my favorite island although a trip to Kauai a couple of years ago after not going there for many years has put the favorite island into question.

We absolutely loved Aulani though and having been to Hawaii for many trips we were perfectly content staying put there on our last trip.

Thanks everyone!

I wanted to do Kauai but my daughter is allergic to Mosquitos and I heard Kauai has lots of them.

Any suggestions on where to stay in Maui?

Thanks everyone!

I wanted to do Kauai but my daughter is allergic to Mosquitos and I heard Kauai has lots of them.

Any suggestions on where to stay in Maui?

We stayed at the Honua Kai. Loved it! I rented on vrbo.

Hmmm - I don't remember an excessive amount of mosquitos on Kauai but I'm not first on their food chain (that's DH!). :rotfl2:

For Maui you should first decide if there's a side of the island that sounds more appealing. I like the South side (Kihei/Wailea/Makena). The west side is also nice but also different from the south. I would recommend one of those two. It will take some time driving between the two so you'll save time by staying in the area you believe you'll spend the most time in. Of course you'll probably do a trip up Haleakala and perhaps to Hana so driving will be a matter of course. And also a trip to Lahaina so the west may be the better area to consider for a 5 day trip.

Another vote for the west side of Maui (if this is your first Maui stay) and renting a condo on VRBO. If you choose to do VRBO then I would recommend getting it done quickly because some of the best units get booked very quickly.

I vote for 5 and 5! We did a split stay 5 days at Aulani and 3 days on Maui last August. It was our first time on both Oahu and on Maui and we LOVED it!
(We have been to Kauia before)

I loved getting to experience the 2 different islands and appreciated them both for their different vibes.

For Maui I would say anywhere near Kaanapali or up north of Kaanapali. We stayed at the Sheraton Black Rock and it was fabulous, but there are some great areas up north beyond there that I hear are really nice as well. Would love to explore up there on our next trip.

For our next trip in December I am looking at VRBO condo's for the Maui portion of the trip.

Cinder- how do you compare maui and aulani?

I'm scared that maui won't be as nice as Aulani.
We have decided with 5/5.

I was looking at the fairmont and westin villas.

I can't figure out how to even coordinate a split stay like that, with airfare in between. We will be going to Aulani next summer for 7 nights. I'd like to do a few less and go somewhere else for a couple of days, but my DH is adamant that we bought DVC at Aulani, and we should stay there. Let me know what you figure out for yours, and maybe I could work on changing his mind for a split!

Cinder- how do you compare maui and aulani?

I'm scared that maui won't be as nice as Aulani.
We have decided with 5/5.

I was looking at the fairmont and westin villas.

We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani on our honeymoon and it was amazing. We much preferred quieter Wailea to Kanapali. The drive was about 45min I think.

Aulani was incredible for the service, amenities and the kids activities/programs. I would think the Fairmont would be comparable but don't know about the kids club.

Who are you traveling with? Sorry if I missed this. We did 6 nights Aulani with DD5 and DD7 and it wasn't long enough. With adjusting to the time difference and rain which cancelled some activities - we needed more time there. But in discussing another trip say in 3 years when they are 8 and 10 - and it being a second visit - we are already thinking to split that trip with Maui.

We're doing 5 nights at Aulani and 5 nights on Kauai this October. DH and I have been to Oahu before, but the kids (DS11 and DD9) haven't. We may wish for more time at Aulani, but we figure that's all the more reason to go back again someday.

In terms of splits, we just booked round trip flights to Honolulu (using ff miles on United) and then booked our inter island flights separately on Hawaiian Airlines. It's only about $70 one way for inter island flights and there are lots every day.

Uh-oh, hadn't heard about mosquitoes on Kauai. Will have to remember bug spray because they love me.

Hi,

My kids are 7 and 12. It's funny because I was thinking of the fairmont Kea Lani or the Grand Wailea. My husband thinks we should just stay put in Aulani for our entire stay but I think we should hop because we are flying in from Miami, which is really far! And these trips don't come often! I am loving the suggestions and thank you to all! :)

We're doing 5 nights at Aulani and 5 nights on Kauai this October. DH and I have been to Oahu before, but the kids (DS11 and DD9) haven't. We may wish for more time at Aulani, but we figure that's all the more reason to go back again someday.

In terms of splits, we just booked round trip flights to Honolulu (using ff miles on United) and then booked our inter island flights separately on Hawaiian Airlines. It's only about $70 one way for inter island flights and there are lots every day.

Uh-oh, hadn't heard about mosquitoes on Kauai. Will have to remember bug spray because they love me.

Where are you staying on Kauai?

Maui is just wonderful. Personally I like Maui better than Oahu and while I liked Aulani I liked may condo rental at Honua Kai better. My studio had a full beautiful kitchen and W/D. The HK grounds were more expansive and lush, we could walk up and down the Kaanapali beach walk and get to different restaurants, resorts and shopping centers, we could walk to different beaches, and the ocean waves were better because it wasn't a protected lagoon. Aulani is wonderful but there are plenty of wonderful resorts that are comparable all over Hawaii

Lovetosleep- I just saw the condo you mentioned HK in maui and it looks nice. Tripadvisor has goo reviews. Did you love it there? Please share?

Many thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter