Aulani - Anyone take a day tour to the Big Island?

joeabate

Earning My Ears
We are going to Aulani for the second time this year in October. Has anyone taken a tour to the Big Island? We were at Aulani in January and did Pearl Habor, PCC, Diamond Head, the North Shore, and the Kualoa (movie ranch) and thought this time about a tour to the Big Island. Prices are around $300+ per person and wondering if it's worth it to see the volcanos.

I was there in 2005 and we took a day trip by ourself. We rented a car on the big island and went to the volcano park. We drove around took a helicopter tour through blue hawaii and walked. We took the first flight over and the last flight back on hawaii airlines (it was cheap then not sure of the prices now). It was awesome!

Yes, we (4 adults) booked a day tour through our local AAA prior to arrival on Oahu. We booked the Eco-tour and felt that the tour was informative. This is a long tour. Our bus of 20 had 4 children. About 1 hour into the tour the children became bored. You spend a lot of time seated traveling from place to place. While we were glad to have spent the day on the big island, please do your research and book carefully. Our tour was all-inclusive. Unfortunately our air portion was booked with Go! airlines. Please avoid them! We were 2 hours late leaving Oahu and our flight back to Oahu the plane left without us - a total of 20 persons. Fortunately our husbands were successful in purchasing (our expense) the last 4 seats on the last plane of Hawaiian Airlines to get us back to Oahu. The remaining 16 persons were to be booked into a Hilo hotel and Go! Airlines was going to 'try' to get them back to Oahu the next day. We complained to the tour company, of course, and were eventually reimbursed our airfare. If I were to book this tour again, I would definitely book through Aulani.

We are going to Aulani for the second time this year in October. Has anyone taken a tour to the Big Island? We were at Aulani in January and did Pearl Habor, PCC, Diamond Head, the North Shore, and the Kualoa (movie ranch) and thought this time about a tour to the Big Island. Prices are around $300+ per person and wondering if it's worth it to see the volcanos.

It would have to be a pretty long day. We LOVE the Big Island, so we did a week there in a condo after our Aulani week. I can't imagine trying to do the Big Island of Hawaii in less than a week unless all you are going to do is the volcanoes. Even then it will be a long day, and you will miss a LOT of what the Big Island has to offer.

Okay, I'll bite and ask a stupid question! Aulani is on a different island than the big island? So you have to fly to the big island? And that can really be done in one day?

On two separate trips to the Big Island I rented a car to tour Volcanoes National Park. The driving tour can be boring at times but I find that stuff interesting. I would suggest you not only tour the volcanoes but maybe something else. On one trip I did a driving tour and a helicopter tour of the volanoes to get a diffeent perspective and the helicopter tour was AMAZING!

Okay, I'll bite and ask a stupid question! Aulani is on a different island than the big island? So you have to fly to the big island? And that can really be done in one day?

Yes, it's about a thirty-minute flight.

Another possibility is flying to Kauai. It is a smaller island and is sooo beautiful. We have been to both from Aulani and the Big Island is really spread out for one day. We took AirVentures tour in Kauai, which is right by the Lihue Airport and it was spectacular! You can get a tour for around $100 and it is so worth it. You literally fly over and under the rainbows and all around the island. You could also drive to Waimea Canyon which is called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Let me know if you want more info. or some pics. Brings tears to my eyes not being there, fell in love with the island!

Honestly, I think it's kind of a waste to spend all that $$ to spend one day on an island. Each Hawaiian island has a different vibe and personality and a completely different look. We just returned from a week on the Big Island (our first trip there) and a week on Maui (our 5th trip) a few days ago. There is so much to see on the Big Island that a one day trip does not do it justice at all. As a matter of fact, after spending a total of 40 days in Maui over the past couple of years, we still haven't run out of new things to see and do.

I'd recommend staying at least 2 nights on another island if you want to go somewhere else. I think the only islands that lend themselves to just day trips are Lanai and Molokai.

I was in the same spot in 2009. Did a week in Oahu with my sister. It was my first time in Hawaii, and I don't know when I'll come back and I didn't want to leave without seeing the volcanoes.

Instead of booking a day trip, I extended by trip to the Big Island. So I flew into Honululu, spent a week in Oahu, then flew Honolulu to Hilo and spent the weekend in the Big Island. Flew out of Kona back to Chicago.

The lava flows have to be seen at night. I don't think any day tours offer this.

Since my main destination is the volcanoes, I booked a room inside the park. Hired a guide (a great couple) to tour me around. Then took the scenic drive from there to Kona, stopping by some black sand beaches and the Pu'uhonua o Honaunau park on my way.

We just got back from the Big Island. I would echo the comments to stay on the island. It is huge and getting from place to place takes awhile. We were there for 5 days and barely scratched the surface of what there is to see.

We have done it both ways. We did a day trip to the Big Island from Oahu several years ago - back before 9/11 and when roundtrip airfare was about $90-95 pp rather than $65-70 one-way and before security got to be a pain. Back then you could almost just show up at the airport and hop on the next available flight. Most of the local airlines have 2 or 3 per hour to each island although I'd also recommend using Hawaiian Airline and book it really early (like several months out) for the best rates. When we did the day trip it was spur of the moment and we really didn't have a plan but we went over early. I think we flew into Hilo that time. We rented a car at the airport, took a map and drove up to Akaka Falls then drove down to the black sand beach on the southern end of the island then hauled it back to the airport because we booked a helicopter flight over the volcano for the late afternoon. It was some tiny little helicopter with some little company that only had a couple of helicopters...we didn't research them we just felt lucky to find them. In hind sight it probably wasn't the brightest idea we've ever had! :rotfl: We hoofed it pretty good all day and were exhausted by the time we were done. Since we were at the airport for the helicopter tour we just grabbed the next available flight back to Oahu. But like I said, this was "back in the day" when things were easier.

The last time we went to the Big Island we spent 3 nights there on the Kona side. I would definitely recommend island hopping and spending a few nights there vs doing the day-trip thing if you can. This time we booked an amazing helicopter tour with Blue Hawaiian and toured the volcano as well as the Kohala Coast with the valleys and waterfalls. INCREDIBLE!!:thumbsup2

So in short, day trips can be done - just go early, rent a car, grab a map and have at it. OR...take the leisurely route and stay there for a few nights and enjoy the diversity of the Big Island.

So glad you asked that question - that is the same boat we are in . Going to Aulani in November. Staying 9 days.

Really want to go to the big Island to see the Volcanoes, black sand & the coffee plantation.

Everyone says you have to see the Lava flow at night or its not really worth it.

Here's another twist......if we booked Aulani for 7 days - checked out and spent the night on Big Island - wonder if Aulani would hold our luggage til we came back for last day?

So glad you asked that question - that is the same boat we are in . Going to Aulani in November. Staying 9 days.

Really want to go to the big Island to see the Volcanoes, black sand & the coffee plantation.

Everyone says you have to see the Lava flow at night or its not really worth it.

Here's another twist......if we booked Aulani for 7 days - checked out and spent the night on Big Island - wonder if Aulani would hold our luggage til we came back for last day?

We are now thinking of staying overnight, but if we do, because we have the points, we would not checkout at Aulani and just take enough clothes for the overnight. I have to check further on flights, car rentals, hotels or if a tour does all of that for me and if I rent a car, how that effects my current rental. Don't want to have to turn in and re rent...

We are now thinking of staying overnight, but if we do, because we have the points, we would not checkout at Aulani and just take enough clothes for the overnight. I have to check further on flights, car rentals, hotels or if a tour does all of that for me and if I rent a car, how that effects my current rental. Don't want to have to turn in and re rent...

IF I was going to go to the Big Island for an overnighter I would do like joeabate and just "waste" the room for the night. I wouldn't bother checking out and then try to relocate. We did something similar last summer when we went to Universal Studios. We left everything in our villa at BW and got a room at the Hard Rock Hotel for 1 night and just packed a small duffle to take over there. This gave us the onsite privileges and early access in the mornings without the hassle of packing up & moving.

BTW I can only imagine that the lava flows are magnificant at night and one day I hope to see them but I would never, ever say it's not worthwhile to go if you can't see them at night. A helicopter tour over the island in the daytime is also a pretty spectacular option to see the island for a "day trip".

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Anyway....I would really suggest instead of trying this day-trip / overnighter plan just tack 2 or 3 nights onto your trip at either the beginning or the end and just island hop by moving islands. Don't try to add it into the middle of your trip if you plan an overnighter. It would be infinitely less complicated and would make better use of your time (on both islands) and use less points to do it right to start with. If you want to do a "day trip" then go for the day and come back. If you want to spend the night then switch islands. JM2C.

We are planning for our February trip an initial stop to the Big Island for a week and then flying to Oahu for 2 weeks at Aulani. I don't think we could handle our first visit to the Big Island with just a night or two there:beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter