• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani - Traffic on Oahu??

Stitch, we are planning to go to Pearl Harbor on Easter Sunday. We have a 9:15am tour so we have to be there at 8:15am. We will be touring everything that is offered with the combination passes. What time do you suggest we leave from Aulani to arrive by 8:15?. Also, we would like to eat at Duke's after touring. Will the traffic be better or worse on Easter? Do you have a suggestion for what time to make reservations at Duke's? Also, is there parking near by Duke's? Thanks

I would say 7:20AM at about the latest, thing about Easter Sunday is people go to Church and many go to Churches not close to their home.:confused3 As for Duke's I am unsure about what one you are talking about. If you could clarify I could help you out better.

Stitch, thanks for the information. I was thinking of going to Waikaki beach after Pearl Harbor and eating at the Dukes there.

Thanks!! I had orig. thought the Pearl Harbor / USS Missouri tours were only on the hour but then I found they are actually offered like every 15 min. so I think we'll just book like a 9:15 or something. I called to ask what happens if we're not there 1 hour ahead to pick up the tix and the girl said they will start giving away the tix to walk-ups!! :scared1: Since these combo tix cost $55 pp they'd better NOT give them away!! Guess we'll shoot hard for the hour ahead window. I don't have an iPhone...DH has a smart phone but it's not an iPhone.

We are not Military - I was planning to book the surf lessons through the Hawaii Fireman's Surf School. They get rave reviews on Trip Advisor (380 out of 394 reviews give them a top score of a 5). I was planning to drive to those so we could do some more exploring around the island after the lesson.

So you're saying the North Shore is crowded on the weekends?? Maybe we'll plan to go to the North Shore on Friday morning, surf lessons on Sunday and go to Waikiki on Monday (after rush hour starts to die down - would that be 9:30-10:00ish)? Heck, maybe we'll even plan to have a relaxing morning at the resort & go into Waikiki later on in the afternoon & just stay there for dinner somewhere & return to Aulani in the evening after dinner. We should be able to avoid the worst traffic if we do that, right?

So looks like our week is shaping up like this - Wed. arrive / Thurs - Aulani - cabana / Fri - North Shore / Sat - Pearl Harbor & USS Missouri / Sun. - surf lessons followed by ? / Mon. - Waikiki and Tues. - Aulani - cabana.

The thing with weekday traffic to get to downtown and Waikiki for the time being till about 2014 if the signs are to be believed, is they are doing pothole filling on H1 starting at 8:30am(yes this is still during rush hour). On Nimtz HWY witch happens to be the alternate route they are doing Utilities work starting again at 8:30am. So during the week there is no such thing as a good time to try to head downtown. Weekends are a different matter because only the closing three lanes of H1 westbound in allowed on weekends(one project at a time). Now this lighter traffic means locals and tourist alike go places they don't want to bother with in Weekdays, Ala Moana beach, Mall, Waikiki, all have major parking issues on the weekends. That was why I suggested taking the Disney Provided Shuttle.

The surf school you choose is the popular surf school for tourists. Locals tend to use Craigslist and you can sometimes get a pro doing that. The schools prices seem ok you con find cheaper but they don't seem to overcharge.

The thing with weekday traffic to get to downtown and Waikiki for the time being till about 2014 if the signs are to be believed, is they are doing pothole filling on H1 starting at 8:30am(yes this is still during rush hour). On Nimtz HWY witch happens to be the alternate route they are doing Utilities work starting again at 8:30am. So during the week there is no such thing as a good time to try to head downtown. Weekends are a different matter because only the closing three lanes of H1 westbound in allowed on weekends(one project at a time). Now this lighter traffic means locals and tourist alike go places they don't want to bother with in Weekdays, Ala Moana beach, Mall, Waikiki, all have major parking issues on the weekends. That was why I suggested taking the Disney Provided Shuttle.

The surf school you choose is the popular surf school for tourists. Locals tend to use Craigslist and you can sometimes get a pro doing that. The schools prices seem ok you con find cheaper but they don't seem to overcharge.

Well, since I AM a tourist I was not put off by their prices as long as all of the reviews I've read have been extremely positive. I am not a Craigslist user so not really comfortable with "maybe getting a pro for cheaper". I emailed the Hawaii Fireman's Surf school today to see if they do lessons on Sundays and they do NOT so already it looks like we will have to re-arrange our days a little bit. :idea: Do you think it is doable to do the early surf lesson which would be over by 10:15-10:30 and then drive up to the North Shore when that's over? It's just a 2 hour lesson so that still gives us almost the entire day left to drive up there. Maybe we could combine the surf lesson with the North Shore all in 1 day?! Thanks for your local input and advice!! I haven't really checked into the Aulani shuttle - sort of figured that's why we were paying for a rental car. Guess I'll look into it just to see how it works & what they offer for times & drop points.

Stitch, thanks for the information. I was thinking of going to Waikaki beach after Pearl Harbor and eating at the Dukes there.

Duke's in Waikiki is in the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel. We stayed there the last time we went to Hawaii. Seems like (if my memory is right) that the ride between Pearl Harbor and the hotel may have been close to 45 minutes with traffic....

As Annie said give yourself about 45 minutes to get there but you are also going to need a reservation. Waikiki for any holiday always is busier than normal.

Well, since I AM a tourist I was not put off by their prices as long as all of the reviews I've read have been extremely positive. I am not a Craigslist user so not really comfortable with "maybe getting a pro for cheaper". I emailed the Hawaii Fireman's Surf school today to see if they do lessons on Sundays and they do NOT so already it looks like we will have to re-arrange our days a little bit. :idea: Do you think it is doable to do the early surf lesson which would be over by 10:15-10:30 and then drive up to the North Shore when that's over? It's just a 2 hour lesson so that still gives us almost the entire day left to drive up there. Maybe we could combine the surf lesson with the North Shore all in 1 day?! Thanks for your local input and advice!! I haven't really checked into the Aulani shuttle - sort of figured that's why we were paying for a rental car. Guess I'll look into it just to see how it works & what they offer for times & drop points.
I didn't mean for it to make tourist sound bad:sad1:. I was just trying to help you find some alternatives that might not cost you as much. I asked some of my friends and they told me that you want one of the guys as an instructor, they feel that the girls just waste you time.

Now as far as Surf lesson and North Shore all in one day, what about doing the surf lesson in Haliewa? During the summer there are good beginner waves, better than Waikiki for the same part of the year. The waves are small enough that Waikiki Swim club runs the North Shore Swim Series every year. Now when I say small enough we are still talking two to three foot facers. Just swimmable as well, and this is why North Shore gets super busy on the weekends. During the winter it is dangerous to try to swim at North Shore Beaches.

I'll be at Aulani for 3 days in mid-June...unfortunately, all weekdays (arriving on Tuesday and leaving on Friday). I was figuring in order to do Pearl Harbor on a weekday I'd have to make a reservation for a 10:30 a.m. tour or thereabouts so I could leave at the tail end of rush hour and still make it. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Should I plan on the same for trying to get to Diamond Head from Aulani?

Thanks!

I'll be at Aulani for 3 days in mid-June...unfortunately, all weekdays (arriving on Tuesday and leaving on Friday). I was figuring in order to do Pearl Harbor on a weekday I'd have to make a reservation for a 10:30 a.m. tour or thereabouts so I could leave at the tail end of rush hour and still make it. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Should I plan on the same for trying to get to Diamond Head from Aulani?

Thanks!
You should be fine for Pearl Harbor. Diamond Head you should leave a little sooner. Keep in mind there won't be much traffic near Aulani, since you're in resort country, most of the traffic will be near the (real) cities, Honolulu and Pearl City.

I lived on Maui for almost 20 years, and on Oahu for 2 back in the mid-90's. Keep in mind that their rush hour is a little earlier than what mainlanders are used to. Their work day runs from 8a-4p, not 9a-5p, and many people do 7a-3p shifts. Also the entire state has one public school system so try to avoid being anywhere near a school between 7-8a, and 1:45-3p (on Wednesdays 1-2p).

Captain_Oblivious said:

Thanks!

Right now there is no end to rush hour. I would say pick a time and give yourself an hour 45 to get to Pearl Harbor and two hours to get to Diamondhead.

You should be fine for Pearl Harbor. Diamond Head you should leave a little sooner. Keep in mind there won't be much traffic near Aulani, since you're in resort country, most of the traffic will be near the (real) cities, Honolulu and Pearl City.

I lived on Maui for almost 20 years, and on Oahu for 2 back in the mid-90's. Keep in mind that their rush hour is a little earlier than what mainlanders are used to. Their work day runs from 8a-4p, not 9a-5p, and many people do 7a-3p shifts. Also the entire state has one public school system so try to avoid being anywhere near a school between 7-8a, and 1:45-3p (on Wednesdays 1-2p).

Thank you for the help!

Right now there is no end to rush hour. I would say pick a time and give yourself an hour 45 to get to Pearl Harbor and two hours to get to Diamondhead.

:faint:

I'll plan for traffic and leave early for everything. Thanks!

taaren said:

While this may have been true when you lived here the whole traffic dynamic has changed greatly. Kapolei is very built up with more housing being added everyday. I give the advice I do base on my experience living in Waikele and I have stayed out at A'ulani and driven into work. I work at Ala Moana mall. So I have done these drives that people are asking about. Construction messes with traffic greatly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter