Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

I haven't noticed anyone on this thread talking about visiting Aulani for Thanksgiving, which is our plan for 2017. We'll be spending 5-6 nights at Aulani either before or after our NCL 7-night cruise of the islands. Is this a good time of year to visit, or are there weather concerns about which I'm not aware? I'd love to get some feedback from folks who have visited in November!

Also, for anyone who has done a combination cruise/Aulani stay- Do you prefer scheduling your resort stay before or after your cruise? We typically cruise AFTER the land portion of our WDW trips so that we can rest up from the parks, but I wonder if we'll be so busy on the Hawaiian island cruise that we'll be better served to use our time at Aulani for R&R! Thoughts?

I haven't noticed anyone on this thread talking about visiting Aulani for Thanksgiving, which is our plan for 2017. We'll be spending 5-6 nights at Aulani either before or after our NCL 7-night cruise of the islands. Is this a good time of year to visit, or are there weather concerns about which I'm not aware? I'd love to get some feedback from folks who have visited in November!

Also, for anyone who has done a combination cruise/Aulani stay- Do you prefer scheduling your resort stay before or after your cruise? We typically cruise AFTER the land portion of our WDW trips so that we can rest up from the parks, but I wonder if we'll be so busy on the Hawaiian island cruise that we'll be better served to use our time at Aulani for R&R! Thoughts?
We've never done it before, but I figured we'd need the Aulani time after the cruise. We'll be there June 2017 :)

I'm just liking this thread for reference for when we return. I wish I'd found it before.

Thanks for all the helpful info! We have the 3-bedrom grand villa and a 2-bedroom villa ocean view from April 27-May 5. My husband I are renewing our vows at Aulani and taking 17 family members. This thread was helpful.

Couple of questions...first of all, this place sounds absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to visit at some point in the future! We are currently weighing up our options to buy into DVC and after visiting AVK I think we will probably buy there via resale. First question: would we still be able to use those points towards booking at Aulani? Second question: how many points would we typically need for a family of 4 to stay during the summer? Thanks!

It is best to look at the point charts for the resort and the number of points may need to book your vacation has a huge range. It will depend on you dates, size of villa and view.
For example in a studio standard view for 7 nights you will need 133 points in June, but 168 in August.
For a 1 bedroom villa standard view for 7 nights in June you will need 259 points, but in August you will need 322.
Buf you get an ocean view 1 bedroom villa in August it will cost you 434 points for the 7 nights.
I hope this helps to give you an idea. You will have to be more specific in dates or play with the point charts on the web to figure out what is most convenient for your family.

Great thread! We are staying in a regular room for the 1st 2 nights March 21 & 22, but then renting DVC points March 23 & 24. Do you think they will let us stay in 1 room, even if it's a non-DVC room?

We leave in three weeks for our Hawaiian vacation! We will be celebrating a BIG birthday for me and celebrating our one year anniversary...we got married at WDW last February! This thread has been invaluable! I have gone through all 42 pages~! WHEW! :) We are staying at the Waikiki Sheraton three nights then Aulani for 8. We are really wanting to find the best beaches for sunning and snorkeling? Any ideas? Thanks!! D:)

Great thread! We are staying in a regular room for the 1st 2 nights March 21 & 22, but then renting DVC points March 23 & 24. Do you think they will let us stay in 1 room, even if it's a non-DVC room?

You can certainly ask but they didnt let us do it in summer 2014. We had the same sort of split and it was explained to us that the revenue streams are different ie-one goes directly to the resort and the other goes to DVC, two separate entities. I like to think they are all one big happy family but I guess on the books theya re two separate things.

You can certainly ask but they didnt let us do it in summer 2014. We had the same sort of split and it was explained to us that the revenue streams are different ie-one goes directly to the resort and the other goes to DVC, two separate entities. I like to think they are all one big happy family but I guess on the books theya re two separate things.

I figured - thanks for the response. I will still ask though. I need to call the DVC owner to have them call to see for availability. Thanks again!

I figured - thanks for the response. I will still ask though. I need to call the DVC owner to have them call to see for availability. Thanks again!

You know, that might be an alternate route, perhaps the DVC owner can do some sort of linking on your behalf. We just asked at the front desk when we arrived and I am sure they are limited to what they can do. It wasnt a big deal for us tho, and it was kind of fun to do a comparison of Hotel vs DVC! Also, they had our DVC room ready early for us so it was just a matter of taking our bags etc from one room to another, they were awesome that way.

You know, that might be an alternate route, perhaps the DVC owner can do some sort of linking on your behalf. We just asked at the front desk when we arrived and I am sure they are limited to what they can do. It wasnt a big deal for us tho, and it was kind of fun to do a comparison of Hotel vs DVC! Also, they had our DVC room ready early for us so it was just a matter of taking our bags etc from one room to another, they were awesome that way.

That's good to know!

Couple of questions...first of all, this place sounds absolutely amazing and I cannot wait to visit at some point in the future! We are currently weighing up our options to buy into DVC and after visiting AVK I think we will probably buy there via resale. First question: would we still be able to use those points towards booking at Aulani? Second question: how many points would we typically need for a family of 4 to stay during the summer? Thanks!

Highly recommend checking out the DVC boards. When it comes to buying DVC, there are some details and things to know that may tip the scale for you as to whether or not it's worth it. But to answer your question, no matter where your home resort is, you can book any resort at the 7 month in advance mark. It just depends on availability. The DVC boards should have some threads on which resorts are difficult to book once you get to that 7 month mark. This is why picking your home resort is important.

Hello. Does anyone know if you can use your own floaties in the lagoon? I realize that you probably cannot in the pools....my boys love to float with noodles and thought it would be neat for them to do so in the lagoon. Thanks!

Wished we had found the Ulu Cafe earlier than on our last day. We didn't find that days entree/soup/salad to our liking, but did like most of the others offered during the rest of the week. Check it out every day or ask server about the rotation as the entire week's selection is listed on the menu.

Too much to remember; however, we did enjoy the snack bar and Genki Sushi near Aulani (near Costco/Target) and around Honolulu. Don't let the name throw you, they have sushi and so much more along with their merry-go-round and bullet train delivery system. Kids loved it as we had discovered them in Tokyo (Shibuya) in 2014 when we visited Tokyo Disneyland Resort. We spent $45-50 for Lunch or Dinner for a family of 4.

Aloha!

Hello. Does anyone know if you can use your own floaties in the lagoon? I realize that you probably cannot in the pools....my boys love to float with noodles and thought it would be neat for them to do so in the lagoon. Thanks!
Yes you can. I think I read somewhere all beaches in Hawaii are public. There is public access between Aulani and the soon to be Four Seasons as well as the other lagoons.

Great question! I was wondering this myself :)

Not sure about the lagoon, but noodles can be used in Aulani pool. From Aulani site:
  • The following personal pool toys and equipment are permitted: swim diapers, life vests, water wings, infant inner tubes with seats, fun noodles and goggles.

Yes you can. I think I read somewhere all beaches in Hawaii are public. There is public access between Aulani and the soon to be Four Seasons as well as the other lagoons.

Awesome, thank you!!!

Not sure about the lagoon, but noodles can be used in Aulani pool. From Aulani site:
  • The following personal pool toys and equipment are permitted: swim diapers, life vests, water wings, infant inner tubes with seats, fun noodles and goggles.

Oh yay! They will be happy about that, thank you!

Thank you! Yes, the Ko-Olina Beach Club was the one I was thinking about. Glad to know it's walkable!!!!

Just remember though, that if they are not staying at your resort, they cannot go in your pools, just like you will not be able to go in their pools at the Marriott. All are welcome in the coves though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter