Aunt Jemima now "Pearl Milling Company"

It's easy enough to find the history of the company. Pearl Milling Company was the original name from the 19th Century.

I’m totally fine with their decision to change the name. I have no strong ties to “Aunt Jemima.” However, I don’t love the new name.

It’s too long and doesn’t roll off the tongue. (Reminds me of “Michael Scott Paper Company” from The Office.) if they wanted to honor the history, I think Pearl Milling or Pearl Mills would have been better choices.

Also, I’m sure they wanted to keep the packaging similar for customers who look for the red Aunt Jemima box, but in doing so, I think they’ve made it look like a discount, knock-off brand. (You know, where they mimic the national brand packaging but just change the name.)

I’m sure we’ll get used to it, and it probably wouldn't impact my purchasing decision (we prefer a different brand) -- but it doesn’t seem like they put a lot of effort in.

Last edited:
I’m totally fine with their decision to change the name. I have no strong ties to “Aunt Jemima.” However, I don’t love the new name.

It’s too long and doesn’t roll off the tongue. (Reminds me of “Michael Scott Paper Company” from The Office.) if they wanted to honor the history, I think Pearl Milling or Pearl Mills would have been better choices.

Also, I’m sure they wanted to keep the packaging similar for customers who look for the red Aunt Jemima box, but in doing so, I think they’ve made it look like a discount, knock-off brand. (You know, where they mimic the national brand packaging but just change the name.)

I’m sure we’ll get used to it, but it doesn’t seem like they put a lot of effort in.

I totally agree with this.

Meh, tired of the wokeness of people and businesses. It was lousy pancake mix and lousy syrup when it was Nancy Green, it was lousy mix and syrup when they decided to depict Nancy Green as someone she wasn't, and it is lousy mix and syrup now, so no sweat off my back. I don't buy the stuff.

Cool with me. But since pancake mix from scratch is so easy, it is one of those products I wonder why people buy, sort of like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. And homemade is so much better. As for syrup, only real maple in our house, usually Great Value brand.

Last edited:
My biggest concern is whether or not there will be "Pearl Milling Company" pancake mix shortages because of packaging delays. I have no doubt that the bright sparks at Quaker are going to screw something up and the factory that makes the wrappers is going to have significant down time because of a red dye shortage, etc.

I use Aunt Jemima mix nearly every weekend for pancakes or waffles. It's my go-to brand. I get perfect, fluffy consistent results and no one complains. I do not want to have to open my cookbook and make it from scratch.

My mom made burned Bisquick manhole covers when I was growing up - can't stand the stuff. And Krusteaz and Hungry Jack just don't taste right to me.

Looks exactly like a Dollar Store brand.
I was thinking something similar. Since brand-recognition is a big part of marketing, I see sales taking a hit, unless of course they add a banner to the label saying something along the lines of “This used to be Aunt Jemima”.

I remember as a kid thinking and knowing the whole aunt jemima logo was wrong. I’m 38. No one ever told me, news didn’t talk about this, social media wasn’t a thing and my parents or family didn’t discuss this.

We like the stuff. We will continue to purchase it.

My mom made burned Bisquick manhole covers when I was growing up - can't stand the stuff. And Krusteaz and Hungry Jack just don't taste right to me.

I see we suffered similar culinary nightmares as children!

I bought the product before, and will continue to as we prefer the taste and consistency. If that makes me lazy for not making my own mix, or unsophisticated for preferring that syrup over the 'real stuff', well then - so be it.

I don‘t eat pancakes or waffles or corn syrupy anything. Changing the name, eh, whatever. I have been known to use pure maple stuff on Breyer’s vanilla on occasion.

I see we suffered similar culinary nightmares as children!

I bought the product before, and will continue to as we prefer the taste and consistency. If that makes me lazy for not making my own mix, or unsophisticated for preferring that syrup over the 'real stuff', well then - so be it.
My mom was the absolute worst cook. And unfortunately, she didn't know it.

Anyway, my reliance on pancake mix is really an extension of unreliable baking powder. So if I can get my hands on Clabber Girl or Rumsford baking powder, it's nice and smooth and blends well. But if I only have house brands at home, I've noticed I absolutely have to use a sifter to separate the giant baking powder clumps out of the flour, otherwise I end up with bitter pockets.... so it's not just lazy, but gosh darn it, I've now made every bowl in the house dirty and I've had to sift pancakes. I do not want to sift pancakes.

Strawberry syrup, blueberry syrup, pancake syrup, "real" maple syrup. Whatever. Food snobs should step off and go on a real vacation instead of WDW. :P🤣

I support changing the name, but I agree that the new name isn't great. It's too long and it looks too generic. Sometimes I wonder how some "extensive market research" is done.

The Dollar Store comment in this thread is spot on. That’s all I have to add really, same great product, same great taste or whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter