Availability Weirdness

Although this time it appears this could have come from the availability glitch. On the 27th or 28th the system mysteriously showed total availability in the club and value rooms. Some members booked (double booked) all those “available” rooms. Then it became a contest of whoever had the longest reservations got to keep their walks alive. At least one DISer has mentioned picking up a value room during that time period, whereas me and another complained about missing inventory “in front” of our 11 month reservations. After a few days passed, those with longer reservations won, and those with shorter reservations lost the opportunity to advance their reservations. So this time I fear it was IT incompetence, not nefarious actions.

Although this time it appears this could have come from the availability glitch. On the 27th or 28th the system mysteriously showed total availability in the club and value rooms. Some members booked (double booked) all those “available” rooms. Then it became a contest of whoever had the longest reservations got to keep their walks alive. At least one DISer has mentioned picking up a value room during that time period, whereas me and another complained about missing inventory “in front” of our 11 month reservations. After a few days passed, those with longer reservations won, and those with shorter reservations lost the opportunity to advance their reservations. So this time I fear it was IT incompetence, not nefarious actions.
agreed. and yes, this happened to me. I lost my walk and I haven't been able to get it back yet (for the AKL value room). So I think they definitely booked more rooms then there are actually available. But via an IT glitch showing availability that wasn't really there, like you said.

I’m not sure if it was a glitch, but I was surprised to be able to book both club followed by value AKL rooms for our trip in October just this last weekend.

Did anyone have any reservations canceled due to this? Should we assume we are safe by now, that if we grabbed one of these reservations (for June) that it probably will be honored? Mine was not cancelled, and haven't heard of anyone receiving any cancellations when all that extra availability showed up.

Did anyone have any reservations canceled due to this? Should we assume we are safe by now, that if we grabbed one of these reservations (for June) that it probably will be honored? Mine was not cancelled, and haven't heard of anyone receiving any cancellations when all that extra availability showed up.
I think you're likely in the clear. I'm pretty sure hose dates weren't available because of the system not showing them because of a glitch, not because they didn't have them. You and I both know SSR and the bungalows don't get booked for 2.5 solid months straight in every category and then every single resort happens to have availability on the same day open back up.

I think you're likely in the clear. I'm pretty sure hose dates weren't available because of the system not showing them because of a glitch, not because they didn't have them. You and I both know SSR and the bungalows don't get booked for 2.5 solid months straight in every category and then every single resort happens to have availability on the same day open back up.
Good point. The one I snagged was Poly over July 4th though, so way more tricky!

While we did not have anything cancelled, due to circumstances beyond our control (my wife was unable to get off what was supposed to be our arrival day) and a poor job of banking/borrowing this year we dropped 11 nights in a BLT Lake View Studio and 5 nights in a VGF 1 Bedroom. Zero of those nights went back into inventory. I know it could have been waitlists but I find it unlikely all 16 of those nights were waitlisted.

For the record, we ended up booking an SSR 1 BR for 15 nights.

I know we can’t share availability info so I will attempt to keep this vague.

I had to cancel a reservation for resort X one day prior to arrival. I rebooked for early August at resort Y because X had no availability for the entire month. I didn’t WL but stalked several times per day. As the 31 day mark was approaching, I figured there may be some cancellations for X. Yesterday afternoon, the entire month of August basically opened up for Resort X.

I find that extremely odd. I modified but I’m worried there’s a glitch. Am I missing something on availability opening up?

If Resort x is (removed) that also happened in May for June and July. We had booked it but decided to do Kidani when it opened right before our trip in June. As far as I know nobody was moved away from BLT when that happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Resort x is (removed) that also happened in May for June and July. We had booked it but decided to do Kidani when it opened right before our trip in June. As far as I know nobody was moved away from BLT when that happened.
Yes, it’s (removed) Are there that many people moving out of xxx? Guess I didn’t need to buy it as my home resort.

Yes, it’s (removed) Are there that many people moving out of xxx? Guess I didn’t need to buy it as my home resort.
My theory is they had / had planned to take some rooms out of service (maybe test rooms for next years refurbishment or something else that needs to be done) and are putting them back into inventory month by month and delaying whatever was planned.

I removed reference to a resort that was being discussed because it was leading to posting of availability which is not allowed.

I removed reference to a resort that was being discussed because it was leading to posting of availability which is not allowed.
It was me, and I apologize. I was just here to try to figure out why there is an unusual pattern for a DVC location that doesn't match the pattern for other resorts in a certain time frame, particularly well within the 7 month window.

It was me, and I apologize. I was just here to try to figure out why there is an unusual pattern for a DVC location that doesn't match the pattern for other resorts in a certain time frame, particularly well within the 7 month window.
It is not typical activity for any resort to open up like that UNLESS there were rooms being refurbished (or held back for various maintenance issues) that got put back into rotation. This happened a couple of Decembers ago at SSR (I assume this is ok to identify since it was in the past) and happened prior to our stay in June at Kidani (again, a past stay). I know in that case they were doing roof work and I am guessing released a block of rooms back into play as it was 14 days before we left and even after we booked rooms were available.

Last edited:
No worries everyone! I have noticed some strange things on August as I just booked something for a friend.

SSR was it when I booked for her nights and suddenly we got choices. We are just about 31 days in so figure that has something to do with it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter