Back from HIFS... Review inside!

mattndes

Earning My Ears
<font face="comic sans ms"><font color="purple">

We spent three days at the HIFS, May 14-17. Check-In is 4 pm, but they let us check in when we arrived at 2 pm. :) Got a room in building twelve, 4th floor. disney decorations, as we requested. :) But,we quickly discovered that the toilet didn't want to flush, and there was a horrible smell in that room (1240) that wouldn't go away, so we moved to building 14, 4th floor. What a pain that was (plus the new room was the Endangered Birds, which were kind of creepy at first, but they do grow on you after a while! LOL) They did give us $50 off our bill for the trouble, so we weren't too terribly aggravated.<br>

Building 14 was great! We had a great view of the pool, but we weren't right on top of it, so no noise. <br>

The room itself was AWESOME. Our 3-year-old loved having her own room, there was plenty of space for our 9-month-old to crawl/cruise around (worked out GREAT for naps because we didn't have to be so quiet while the kids napped!). They also have lots of space to store things... shelves in the bathroom and under sink counter space in the bathroom and "kitchenette". Plus a vanity in the main bedroom. Two hair dryers (wouldn't have packed my huge one if I'd have known). Closet space in the main bedroom, and 3 large drawers. Two smaller drawers and some shelves in the kids room. They supply TONS of towels (some hotels are so stingy with the towels) and extra blankets are stored in the drawers, and pillows (and an iron and ironing board!) are in the closet.<br>

The buffet breakfast was also excellent. Tons of variety, and the food was very good. It went until 11, which was really nice, so we didn't feel hurried. We usually ate on the enclosed veranda area and watched the swans swimming/playing in the water right outside. We had two lunches there, and our meals usually came to only $9-$10 for the four of us!! Since the kids ate free (my 9 month old even got her own meal, and we split it with her! LOL) it was by far the most reasonable lunch place in Orlando! :) (My only gripe is that they didn't have Dr Pepper at the soda fountain... but many Disney Area restaraunts don't have Dr Pepper... so I always store my own at the refrigerator/cooler in the hotel room! LOL)<br>

The game room looked great, but we only spent a few minutes inside it (our oldest is only 3, so we're not into that stuff yet! LOL) Side Note: Bring your Own Insect Repellant. I forgot it, and paid $9 for it at the hotel!! I nearly fell over! LOL<br>

The Pool was AMAZING! Perfect for younger kids (and the older kids seemed to enjoy it just as much! ;) The only bummer thing was that it closed FOUR times that we were aware of in the 3 days we were there. If any child has a bowel movement while in the pool, they immediately close it down and shock the water. Dh and I were a little leary of how many times pool water can be SHOCKED. In one 24 hour period, they shocked the water 3 times (one morning and two evenings). Two of the evenings we had reserved for swimming, the pool was closed, so we couldn't go (it's usually closed for 2 hours... but it reopened after our dd's bedtime). One employee said that they close it even if the kids ARE wearing swim diapers and poop... so it made no sense to me why they enforce the swim diaper rule...if they're going to close the pool regardless. Plus, he said it's usually closed at least once a day because of this...<br>

Anywho... we still managed to swim 2-3 times a day! LOL The lap pool was open the entire time, dh went for a swim once while the girls were napping and enjoyed it.<br>

Dh & I planned to stay here at HIFS for this visit, and stay on site for future visits... but I think we're hooked on this hotel. We can't imagine staying in a "hotel room" for a long visit anymore... having that extra bedroom and living area was more wonderful than we imagined. We paid $129 a night which I found to be very reasonable (especially since we had reserved an on-site plain-old hotel room for *twice* that price before I found out about HIFS!) <br>

The rooms were all VERY clean (once we were out of the stinky room! LOL), and the maid service was excellent. We left a $3 tip each day. All the staff we encountered during our stay were polite and friendly. When we called about the toilet problem in that first room, the guy was there quickly. We left for dinner, but I left a note about the smell, and he did deodorize the room (it just didn't work, because the problem was behind the wall...), but I was pleased that the maintenence showed up in a timely manner.<br>

We were also pleased that it is SO close to Disney!! You pull out of the parking lot, and you see the Disney sign in under a minute. We made lots of trips to Downtown Disney, and were always there in a very short time.<br>

I'd give this hotel HIGH recommendations to anyone who's heading to Orlando. I wanted to stay on-site, but I tell you what.. this hotel was so awesome, I just can't rationalize paying more money, for a smaller room... just to be on-site for the Mickey Soap. ;) LOL<br>

We actually had so much fun at this hotel, that we decided not to go to the Magic Kingdom this trip. Since the girls were so little, we were a little leary of trying a big park... and when we found the hotel to be so convenient to so many things, and the pool to be so much fun... we decided to just hang around the hotel and relax (we did do a Character Breakfast too)! :) <br>

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'll try to answer the best I can. :)<br>

We loved HIFS,too! This is where we found the MAGIC!!

We were there Mar.24-28,2001

We were able to get a Disney themed room and it was so whimsical!! It still makes me smile!! We were so comfortable there!! And our DD,14, still talks about how cool it was that she had her own room!! WE loved the fact that the Masterbed room had a door!!! Dressing was so much faster that way!!

I was truely suprised at HOW close it is to the WDW gates!! You just can't explain it,no one seem to realize this hotel is the closest on that road to the gates!!

WE too had breakfast out on the enclosed porch!! It was soooooooo,relaxing!!

Our $50.00 compasation was because we had too few towels 2 days in a row. Dh just mentioned that we really need more towels after breakfast one morning and at check out they had deducted $50. from the bill!!

And the nintendo 64 came in handy the day DD got sick it kept her too busy to complain much!

We stayed the first 5 days there then moved onsite to All Stars Jazz,Boy what a let down!! It isn't anything more than a motel 6 room!!!

PLUS we win the CREEPY wall paper contest!!! In the bathrooms there are men all over the walls!! But there was one creepy man that watchs you do your busness everytime you go in there!!! yukky!!

When we return it will be to the HIFS!!!:) :cool: :)

Wow, two great posts! We are going to HIFS in early Oct., I can't wait. I'm more excited than my kids. The hotel looks & sounds great, I hope I don't feel let down after all this buildup. Quuestion for Tink... Did you drive to MK area? I want to make PS @ chef Mickey's our 1st night. Trying to find out how far/difficult the drive is and how much travel time to allow. Thanks. I'm so glad I found this site!:bounce:

We've stayed at HIFS many times ....
although it takes no time at all to get to Epcot or MgM, you should
allow 15 minutes to drive to the MK area

Have fun!

YMudaro

You Know,I have a whole different theory,go early, park at Epcot and take the Monorail to the Contemp.,because it passes right thru that hotel!! And it stops inside just above Chef Mickey's!!!!

We were also at HIFS the same time that you were, and we had a wonderful time. We faced the pool, on the second floor, building eight. We also noticed the pool being closed several nights, when we were deciding to go for a swim. I personally loved the warmth of the pool, as l have arthritis, and it felt good on my tired bones. I was a little down in the dumps the night before we left, because l truly loved it there. I would go for refillable drinks just to feel the Florida warmth, and to take a nice stroll past the pond, to the lobby. We loved the cappacino. One night l went to get a drink close to midnight, and l encountered three security guards on my travels, and another night when l had to move my vehicle over to our building, l noticed hotel staff from two different locations watching a group of younger vacationers. So l felt safe at this hotel. I wish that l would've had more time and energy to do some things in the hotel, but as it is we are still getting over this vacation, our poor feet took a beating. but what a wonderful vacation it was!! I am already checking out another vacation for our family, but this time a relaxing one to an island!! Karen

The above poster mentions refillable drinks. Is this type of drink available at HIFS? we had the refillable mugs on our last visit to WDW when we stayed at the Contemporary Resort, and we really used this feature. If so, what does it cost? And is it like the mugs at the Disney Resorts, where you pay for the mug and the drink refills are free?
We leave for HIFS in about 3 weeks and can't wait, after hearing all the great posts.
Although I am concerned about all the pool closings reported. My kids go nuts if they can't get in the pool at night before they go to bed.
Thanks!
Jim

i WOULD love to hear about the Pool closings! Man..my kids will be HOT (literally, and figuritively)..if th epool is closed during our stay! that is half the fun for them!

Does anybody else have any comments on pool closings?

Thanks for the reviews!! We are going in July and staying 8 nights at HIFS. Since we have young children, I wanted a fun hotel in case the parks were just too much or too hot for them. I hope the pool doesn't close too much while we are there!:o My dh travels alot for work and gets bonus points from Holiday Inn, so 4 of our nights are free! Wahoo! (just had to brag a bit, we are also using frequent flier miles to fly all 4 of us!)

I'm so thrilled to hear of all the great reviews of HIFS. We'll be staying there October 2002, although this is far off, I'm having a blast planning. My friend at work just got back and just raved about the place.

Canucksie mentioned loving the warmth of the pool - you mean on top of all these great amenities that the pool is heated?????

:bounce:

Oh yes, the pool is heated. DD, 3, was sleeping in the car, but when we got back to the hotel, she and dd,9, were begging to go swimming. The pool was packed at 11:30 at night!! they had to throw us out at midnight!

We just got on Tuesday, after a 7 day stay, they never closed the pool that I noticed.

thanks Tess! sounds like you had a blast with you're kids...I'm looking forward to that too. I wonder why there isn't alot more discussion about this place on the boards....maybe because it's offsite....

We have been to HIFS two summers now (this will be our third) and I only recall the pool being closed one afternoon our first summer there. It was only for a short period of time as well. You will love it here, we do obviously!
Jimnyk- I know I have read about refillable mugs at HIFS, but I can't remember where and don't remember too much detail. It seems we will be there around the same time so I guess we will find out soon. Can't wait!

This makes me wonder about other hotels? If it is so important to shock the pool after a poop, what happens at the other pools that they don't do this. Could you get sick? Yuck!:confused:

I would think so...you would obviously have to ingest quite a bit to get sick. I remember reading about a child who got really sick days after visiting a water park and was critical - it was a bacterial infection of some sort similar to ecoli or maybe it was that......but he was real young which made me think he might have drank the water like most young kids do. My 3 y/o still tries to drink his bath water - gross! It's too difficult for them to know if a child "did it" in the water, it's not like parents are going to notify the management of it, they'll just take the child out and clean him up. They know kids are prone to this so I'm sure they must keep the pool "shocked" often and after closing especially...or at least I hope all of them do!

Hi,
Thanks for your great review of this hotel. We too wanted to stay on site at ASM and have thought how much nicer it would be to have a separate sleeping area and kitchen.The HIFS sounds too good to be true!. Did you find the hotel very crowded during your May visit?We want to go in early May 2002. Did you use the shuttle service? Husbands likes the WDW bus service.
Any other things I should know about a May visit please share. Thanks,Debbie-Indiana

Thanks for the wonderful reviews about the Holiday Inn Family Suites. We look forward to our trip in July! At first, I was leaning towards Holiday Inn Sunspree- the picutres seemed nice, I've heard good reviews, some not so nice- Holiday Inn Sunspree offered us a King room for $59- It was hard to pass it up, however I think it would be worth $110 per night for the kidssuite.
Thanks again: :bounce: :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter