Back to School during the pandemic ...a discussion thread

One thing that puzzles me is why it can be so transferable through droplets (agreed), then why do they have to shove a swab up to your brain to take a test. I have stopped taking the tests the last four weeks. Some were gentle wit eyes watering and sneezing but the last few were taken in a drive through clinic and they pinned my head against the head rest and kept pushing it in. That was enough for me. Can any nurses fill me in.

According to this article it seems to be one of the best test to detect Covid 19
**The video is graphic**

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronav...0200401-no3nuzb7frgzfhmbp542q55eja-story.html
Hugs to you for what you do everyday to make others lives so valued and special.
Hugs
Mel

If the swab does not get enough contact with the mucosal skin in your nasopharynx then it may not pick up the viral particle and give false negative.

Unfortunately, a false negative result is really serious because most people will let the guard down and take little precautions... because they feel “cleared and not infectious”.

Before you invest in a Chromebook, you should try to investigate whether the online platform used by your school is D2L. I teach post secondary using that platform and when we went full remote in March, there were significant issues with students trying to use Chromebooks, with most having to go out to purchase a new Windows or Apple computer.
I agree. Some resources used by D2L can’t be accessed using chromebook. I had a student using chromebook having that issue with Brightspace D2L work. We were doing credit recovery for history. I am a math teacher doing student success, so I used board provided resources. For my math classes, I created my own resources and there’s no issue. Yet the D2L ones did. It’s better to research first before buying. I bought a Microsoft laptop for my department instead of a chromebook which is cheaper for that reason in June.

Before you invest in a Chromebook, you should try to investigate whether the online platform used by your school is D2L. I teach post secondary using that platform and when we went full remote in March, there were significant issues with students trying to use Chromebooks, with most having to go out to purchase a new Windows or Apple computer.

Our school board actually gives out chrome books to all grade nine students. They have been doing this for the last few years. So we know what they use works fine. They primarily use google classroom.

I should also add we also have windows based computers at home, that’s what he was doing stuff on before. But they are shared computers so we also wanted him to have his own.

Last edited:
One thing that puzzles me is why it can be so transferable through droplets (agreed), then why do they have to shove a swab up to your brain to take a test. I have stopped taking the tests the last four weeks. Some were gentle wit eyes watering and sneezing but the last few were taken in a drive through clinic and they pinned my head against the head rest and kept pushing it in. That was enough for me. Can any nurses fill me in.

I can't answer the question, but I admit I did laugh a bit at your description :) I know many places are starting to do throat swabs instead.

Hand scrubbing is good, but also not all that effective since the primary means of infection is droplets. So the #1 defense that kept you healthy and keeps others healthy, is masks. Which many schools will not be requiring. The second is social distancing, which in the younger years, many schools will also not be requiring within their "bubble" (keeping in mind the bubble could be anywhere from 15-60 kids depending on class size and then how many classes are in the bubble, and that all those kids in the bubble are being exposed to many people outside of school). Temperature checking isn't being proposed here, either.

The return to school is really a very different scenario than going to eat on a patio or running into Canadian Tire for half an hour, or even your job where you had hand washing, masks and temp checks.

To me, I think one of the most important things school can do this year is take learning outside as much as possible, then require face shields and/or masks while indoors. Parents could easily start working with their kids now re: wearing them, especially learning not to fidget with them. I'm thinking face shields for teachers and students would be better for K-2, for the purpose of learning to read, social skills learning etc... Not as good as masks, but better than nothing. Then have a hand wash station set up in each K-2 classroom, so kids can wash their hands with soap regularly, since those ages are the slimiest lol. By grade 3/4, most schools have moved past learning to read to reading to learn, so masks would be fine, though I think face shields will always be better for teachers since some kids are always going to rely on seeing what they are hearing. I also think they should be screening everyone (temp check), every day. While temp checks are useless for the asymptomatic cases, even if they catch just a few cases, that could go a long way towards stopping a local outbreak.

Related to the face sheilds. I read somewhere that Canadian Sheild, a company that started producing shields for healthcare workers at the start of this, is donating hundreds of thousands of face shields for teachers.

My parents got kiddo a chromebook for school for Christmas, it's practically indestructible, my dad used his former military status to get a really good deal on one from the US, military grade apparently. Thing is bullet proof. For my little temper tantrum kid who has broken more electronics than I like to think about, this is key. I know they use them in the high school as well, starting in grade 7 kids are asked to bring one. They do have school ones they can use there, and the board uses google accounts for all the kids. It is fairly interesting because my sister's kids both went to the same schools and the older one had to have an iPad, second one started with iPad and then was switched to chromebook. Now kiddo also has his own laptop, my dad got it for him. It won't be going to school though, at last not until high school maybe. The chromebook should suffice. They use google docs and such, instead of the microsoft suite. I do need to get him a mouse for it though, he prefers that now after using his laptop.

I hope they get at least a few weeks in class room before we shut down again, simply to get him some exercise and outside time with friends. If we end up back at home, I'll have to decide what to do. The learning they offered in the spring was not good. I'm sure that varied by class and school, but for him it was impossible. At that point I may have to look into some other version of homeschooling. I am sure it will happen, I fully expect a second wave to shut us back down to stage 1 or whatever, but hopefully I'm a little more prepared for it this time.

Makes sense that google chromebooks would work with google classroom...

For others whose children are on D2L - or who may not know what platform their school may use - just know that there are potential compatibility issues with chromebooks. I realize that for the most part, chromebook are the more economical choice, but not if you have to end up purchasing a second computer because your kids can’t access parts of their courses.

Makes sense that google chromebooks would work with google classroom...

For others whose children are on D2L - or who may not know what platform their school may use - just know that there are potential compatibility issues with chromebooks. I realize that for the most part, chromebook are the more economical choice, but not if you have to end up purchasing a second computer because your kids can’t access parts of their courses.

I agree with this! If we didn’t also already have other computers at home we would be buying a regular laptop. There are some inexpensive options out there.

My 16yr old has a Chromebook and I just asked him if they use D2L or Google Classroom . He said that it depends on the teacher and that they use both , but more often D2L . He also said that he’s never run into anything on D2L that wouldn’t work on his Chromebook. I don’t doubt that there are some issues but he’s never run into any .
I’ll be buying him a really good laptop for a grad gift when he goes to University in two years. I think for this year he will be fine with our PC and his Chromebook . My husband builds computers for a hobby so I’m sure he’d love a reason to do another build but I don’t think we need to spend the money .

Now now Pigletto it would give hubby a little side project,,,lol,,hugs to you.

My son asked as a parent what would you do mom..

Well my guys are all adults but if this happened when they were younger,,,,,,,
1. stock the wine cabinet,,keep in mind I have 3 boys!!!

2. find the best neighbour kid friend family and approach the parents about
forming a small 2 family POD. (Parents Of Desperados),,lol
:share that my kids have all their immunizations and will be getting a Flu shot
: share that we have a family doctor and who that is
:share a mutually agreed upon daily play timetable (Maybe 3 --45 minute outdoor)
: Decide if indoor basement get togethers are agreeable
: Clean the garage out and use it as a clubhouse
: Be in firm agreement that all online work comes before play.
: Review rules with both parties including kids.

I'd also
: invest in a printer
: scrappy paper/pencils
: have designated school work area in the house.

Hugs
Mel

My son was using D2L on a Windows computer and he had troubles. He was using the Chrome browser, so maybe that was it. He actually signed in one day, did a whole math test and thought he was done. It had never transmitted his login to the teacher. She had no record of it. Yet, the software administered the test. I heard from my older son that some of his friends had issues with D2L, as well.

So, in our house, we're hoping for Google classroom. It's not as 'organized' as D2L, but I don't want to have to wonder if the teacher actually got the work submitted. Google classroom seemed better. But again, that's just our anecdotal experience. Whatever they choose, just make sure it works and the kids and teachers are trained on how to use it.

Now now Pigletto it would give hubby a little side project,,,lol,,hugs to you.

My son asked as a parent what would you do mom..

Well my guys are all adults but if this happened when they were younger,,,,,,,
1. stock the wine cabinet,,keep in mind I have 3 boys!!!

2. find the best neighbour kid friend family and approach the parents about
forming a small 2 family POD. (Parents Of Desperados),,lol
:share that my kids have all their immunizations and will be getting a Flu shot
: share that we have a family doctor and who that is
:share a mutually agreed upon daily play timetable (Maybe 3 --45 minute outdoor)
: Decide if indoor basement get togethers are agreeable
: Clean the garage out and use it as a clubhouse
: Be in firm agreement that all online work comes before play.
: Review rules with both parties including kids.

I'd also
: invest in a printer
: scrappy paper/pencils
: have designated school work area in the house.

Hugs
Mel
I laughed because you should have seen my husbands face light up when I said ds16 might need a new laptop . :rolleyes:
I love your suggestions Mel . We are still going back and forth but we think online school will be the winner for ds this semester. Our biggest concern is ds having contact / interactions with friends. He’s not a very social guy to begin with and is more than content to spend all his time at home . I just don’t know that it’s healthy to go almost a year without any friend activity . I think that I will encourage them to hang out at our house . The way I see it , they can wear masks / socially distance with one or two other kids in my home and it’s a lot less risky than sending him to the high school every day . I know there are a lot of kids who need to go in person for a variety of reasons , but if I can just solve this isolation issue for ds , we could happily be one of the families that opts out .

I laughed because you should have seen my husbands face light up when I said ds16 might need a new laptop . :rolleyes:
I love your suggestions Mel . We are still going back and forth but we think online school will be the winner for ds this semester. Our biggest concern is ds having contact / interactions with friends. He’s not a very social guy to begin with and is more than content to spend all his time at home . I just don’t know that it’s healthy to go almost a year without any friend activity . I think that I will encourage them to hang out at our house . The way I see it , they can wear masks / socially distance with one or two other kids in my home and it’s a lot less risky than sending him to the high school every day . I know there are a lot of kids who need to go in person for a variety of reasons , but if I can just solve this isolation issue for ds , we could happily be one of the families that opts out .

Hi Hon
I have a very quiet/shy son,,middle one, 32 yrs old,,and yeah I even worry about him being kind of isolated. He is best friends with his younger brother , who doesn't live at home with us (yeah they can gang up on me at times). They do see each other 1-2 times a week and it seems enough,,but as a mom you always worry. Kids /Adults do so much social connection via online stuff nowadays though.
Lots to think and consider eh?
Hugs to you
Mel

Hi Hon
I have a very quiet/shy son,,middle one, 32 yrs old,,and yeah I even worry about him being kind of isolated. He is best friends with his younger brother , who doesn't live at home with us (yeah they can gang up on me at times). They do see each other 1-2 times a week and it seems enough,,but as a mom you always worry. Kids /Adults do so much social connection via online stuff nowadays though.
Lots to think and consider eh?
Hugs to you
Mel
Thanks Mel ,
It’s hard to not try to fix things for them , even when they aren’t worried about it isn’t it ? And you are so right . I spent a lot more time in person with my friends at his age but they are all connected with social media and play online together now . And my son says it’s draining to be in a pack of teens all the time since it’s so loud . He’s more of a one on one kind of kid . He’s happy and kind and doing fine so I just need to not overthink it too much .

Just out of curiosity, how many people have gone to restaurants and especially Walmart since the epidemic?
Only take-out from restaurants... no dining-in -- most places have pretty tight social distancing for take-out. Have done the grocery order from walmart but not gone in the store.... Just realized this might be somewhat later to answer --- it's been a busy few days....

Last edited:
People, in the before-times, if the class sizes were low, they made a split class with another grade. Be careful hoping for people to withdraw or do remote, because the board may just end up filling up fewer classes with split grades. That would be hard to manage, but if they are required to keep "full" classes, it could happen.

If a family chooses remote 'for now', then they will need to keep a classroom spot for them. But if families actually withdraw from school to homeschool so that they do not have to follow the school distance education program, then that could cause reorganization. I know in the U.S. some public school advocates were strongly encouraging parents to not formally withdraw their child from school because of the impact on school funding.

If a family chooses remote 'for now', then they will need to keep a classroom spot for them. But if families actually withdraw from school to homeschool so that they do not have to follow the school distance education program, then that could cause reorganization. I know in the U.S. some public school advocates were strongly encouraging parents to not formally withdraw their child from school because of the impact on school funding.
We formally withdrew our daughter. She homeschooled all through elementary. 9 and 10 were bricks and mortar—we thought it would be good for her. But, in fact it was a waste. She’s been much happier with online, but with the school board’s plan we just couldn’t stay. First and foremost, we want a stable year. I know her funding follows her, but she is my first priority, not the school’s funding. She’ll get that with homeschool. I think it’s going to be another roller coaster year. Probably can’t be helped, given the circumstances. No one’s fault, really.

Just out of curiosity, how many people have gone to restaurants and especially Walmart since the epidemic?
So far, eaten at four restaurants since end of May (once on a patio, other three times inside) and while I haven't been to Walmart since January (I avoid that place like the plague), we've been to Home Depot numerous times, IKEA once, our local shopping malls a couple of times etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter