• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back to School during the pandemic ...a discussion thread

I don’t think any of us who want our kids back in school thinks it’s our “saving grace”. And we know it won’t be the same. But yeah some kids who haven’t seen any friends in months just want to be back even if it’s not the same. Just because they can’t do all the things they used to doesn’t mean it’s a better option for them then staying home.

I have started to notice a trend, many parents who think kids should stay home are quick to point out every little issue with kids going back to school. They make a huge deal out of things like “kids won’t get to play sports or see all of their friends”. Yet those things aren’t an issue with keeping kids home? How is that? It’s like they feel the need to justify not sending their kids. You don’t. We get it, and don’t judge you.

I would just like to point out that those of us who want our kids in school for various reasons are not stupid, we know all these things. We have thought long and hard about our decisions. We don’t sit here and point out all the reasons why keeping kids at home isn’t a good idea. So why do others feel the need to bring up every little issue with sending kids to school.
[/QUOTE
I can only answer for me personally & this is the only time I will respond to you going forward. I understand *needing* to send your child back. Keeping my kids home will be literally taking on a 3rd job for me - Moms wear all the hats unfortunately. I am in no way qualified to teach grade 6 or 8 anything besides French & History. What I want the public to understand is that this is not being funded correctly & since it is not MY life is at risk. MINE. A 44 year old Mom of 3 that needs to pay bills. So right or wrong when others say my child needs to return for socialization I hear “your actual life < kids’ social lives.

Sure I signed up for the job, but other than breaking up a fight while pregnant once or a fleeting thought during an active shooter drill I did not believe I was signing up to potentially die. Jobs other than health care do not have the same interaction risk, but if they can work from home they will continue to. So let’s put everyone on the same risk footing, no? Everyone back to work... That won’t happen becauseprivate companies will get sued for unsafe work conditions. Ask yourself why post secondary kids are online. I wish you and yours a safe and healthy school year ✌🏻

I can only answer for me personally & this is the only time I will respond to you going forward. I understand *needing* to send your child back. Keeping my kids home will be literally taking on a 3rd job for me - Moms wear all the hats unfortunately. I am in no way qualified to teach grade 6 or 8 anything besides French & History. What I want the public to understand is that this is not being funded correctly & since it is not MY life is at risk. MINE. A 44 year old Mom of 3 that needs to pay bills. So right or wrong when others say my child needs to return for socialization I hear “your actual life < kids’ social lives.

Sure I signed up for the job, but other than breaking up a fight while pregnant once or a fleeting thought during an active shooter drill I did not believe I was signing up to potentially die. Jobs other than health care do not have the same interaction risk, but if they can work from home they will continue to. So let’s put everyone on the same risk footing, no? Everyone back to work... That won’t happen becauseprivate companies will get sued for unsafe work conditions. Ask yourself why post secondary kids are online. I wish you and yours a safe and healthy school year ✌🏻

See this is my point. The way you put “needing” in quotes shows how dismissive you are. You seem angry at parents who want their kids back in school. Nobody is arguing with your choice to keep your kids home, or tell you it’s wrong. But people want to tell parents who are sending their kids how terrible they are. And nobody is talking about our kids social life, we are talking about our kids mental heath and social development. The fact you don’t get that actually worries me.

It sounds like to me you are more upset with going back to work. You have the same options as those working in food processing plants, dentists, etc. If you don’t like it don’t go back to work. Your not the only one and teaching is not the only profession that has had to face difficult decisions. But don’t blame the parents. You may not get it but many kids do need school.

See this is my point. The way you put “needing” in quotes shows how dismissive you are. You seem angry at parents who want their kids back in school. Nobody is arguing with your choice to keep your kids home, or tell you it’s wrong. But people want to tell parents who are sending their kids how terrible they are.

It sounds like to me you are more upset with going back to work. You have the same options as those working in food processing plants, dentists, etc. If you don’t like it don’t go back to work. Your not the only one and teaching is not the only profession that has had to face difficult decisions. But don’t blame the parents. You may not get it but many kids do need school.
Please stop. I am begging you to please stop. I am not angry at parents. I am not angry at going back to work. Some teachers might have put in the minimum for online learning but (and I have the feeling you won’t believe me) I was available all week-end and up to 11pm for my kids. I had my messages forwarded directly to my phone and my phone constantly at my side.

I understand that teachers are not supposed to self-advocate. I get that it’s not done and is seen as whinging and laziness. That’s truly not who I am. I am blocking you now, but I do hope you have a safe school year.

For the rest of this thread can we all please not judge others. Can we try not to convince parents what the best thing to do is. Can we stop focusing on all the negative things of the options we didn’t choose.

Every situation is unique. Every child is different and has different needs. There is no right answer. What is best for every family will be different. For some keeping kids home is what they need, for others they 100% need to be back at school, and for others they fall somewhere in between.

It’s not an easy decision for any parent to make. And every parent has considered all options. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to need to justify their decision. And nobody needs to made to feel bad by others, or more fearful, because of their choice.

Here in BC the education minister is set to give an announcement about September this coming week. For the past few weeks we have all been led to believe we will return to blended learning but now from what I hear, BC wants full time participation for elementary and middle school and blended for high school. Guess we will find out this week. Then the premier announced "be prepared to have a plan B in case the virus creates a second wave." My kids are going into grades 5&7 and will be going back with, what I hope, are extra precautions. I'll post again later this week with an update once our education minister makes his announcement.
Thanks for this, I’ll keep be watching for that. I hadn’t really heard or seen much regarding our province’s plans for school. My daughter is going into grade 7 and in my town that’s a high school grade since we don’t have a middle school. We have 4 public elementary schools (k-6) that feed into our 1 high school. Our high school has a grade 7/8 wing that is segregated from the rest of the school so it’ll be interesting to see how they handle that.

I think where the challenge in this particular situation is going to be is that there are districts where what families are choosing and what staff are choosing are not in equal proportions. In order to normalize that, some people are going to be forced to abide by a choice that they did not get to make. And there will be substantial hand-wringing in that process.

If a parent is told that their child has to still stay home to satisfy the staff choosing to stay home, while other students are permitted in school, that parent is going to rightfully feel that their voice isn't being heard.

If a staff member is told that they have to report to work to satisfy the families choosing to send their students to school, while other staff are permitted to work remotely, that staff member is going to rightfully feel that their voice isn't being heard.

And the truth of it all is, these decisions are going to be made by people who don't know the particulars of the student and staff lives that led to those choices. Ultimately, I think that's why these conversations end up being so heated. There are going to be people forced to do something they don't want to do, and that they feel jeopardizes the health (physical, mental, social/emotional) of themselves or a family member. And what a terrible situation that is!

Personally, I'm an at-risk staff member, with an at-risk family member. I've put in the request with my district to work remotely, but I also know that more staff members are in the at-risk population than families have put in to learn remotely. So I'm weighing the possibilities of what I'm going to do if told to report to work, that my at-risk situation isn't "at enough risk". Financially, I could afford to take a year's leave of absence and be okay. I'd rather not do it, but in listening to conversations from my district, as well as seeing the actions of my administration in other matters, this may be the situation I'm looking at.

Where I really struggle with the societal conversation around a number of issues (not just COVID-related issues) is this concept argument of "Well, X and Y field don't have that, why should Z?" When shouldn't the conversation really be "Z has that benefit, why don't X and Y? Or if not that specific benefit, something else in return?" If we started thinking this way about issues such as compensation, PTO and sick leave, health benefits, and the like, I think we would be substantially better off.

Last edited:
I am very thankful for the choices we have made. As my DH would say "You are not a SAHM you are a school bus driver, that is a job". Hahaha I always looked at it as a way to pay for my Disney fix while bringing my children with me. Due to our personal beliefs we have sent our children to a private Christian School for their entire school journey. Both the High School and Elementary School my four children are going to have been very helpful last year and the information we have received for next year is encouraging.

The turnover to online learning last year went very well as the teachers were very prepared last year for on-line learning. They spent their March Break getting ready to start up, and luckily one of our teachers is also principal for an on-line school so he was able to help guide the other teachers in their journey of emergency on-line schooling. The teachers had daily google hangouts with the kids and both the assignments available for the mandatory courses as well as optional assignments. Unfortunately we live in a valley in a rural area and our internet reception is atrocious! We could only access the internet with one or two devices at a time, but we needed four going constantly. There were many nights one child would be up until 11 pm, some nights midnight. Two of my four children bloomed during that time, with more one on one mom time. Three of the four have learning disabilities.

Part of the reason we will be sending our children back to school is the limited internet access they have here at home, part is with the LD one of my children is going very backwards. As our school is directed by our own Boards they have more leeway in how they react. The elementary school has hired an extra daytime custodian and extra homeroom teachers to enable them to have lower classroom sizes, sanitation, and small cohorts. I am not sure where they will get the extra classrooms from, however we do still have an extra french room, two portables that are currently used for storage, and the possibility of rooms at the church that is abutting the school. Excited to see how they do it! They have already sent out the surveys where we choose if our children will be bussed or driven for this year, to make up their routes. Their intentions are five days a week but with plans in place to swing instantly over to on-line learning, as well as providing on-line learning off the bat to those who so desire. The High School two of my children will be attending is just finishing off an expansion. Their intention is to keep the kids in school five days a week in with their classmates for classes (they do not call it a cohort, but it sure seems like it). They also have sent out the survey asking if you intend to bus or drive your children.

My biggest worry is as a school bus driver for the public and separate school systems I might bring sickness home to my family, and how I will be able to get my children to their school bus stops. Part of their LD, they are not allowed to be left without adult supervision. :( Would love some prayer that all four get to their schools safely every day.

Absolutely all of this 👍🏻 I was discussing our decision with our kids again last night - this is hard on them & on us. We assume most of their friends will return to school and that means no in person contact with their friends, not even the slight socially distanced contact we’ve managed this month; it would simply expose us to the entire school population & the fact I will be exposed to a space with 1000 + teens a day is sufficient.....

I told them not to worry about it. Chances are everyone will be back online full time by Thanksgiving 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes. My friend (also homeschools) is a tutor, and she has decided to not tutor this year, because to do so would increase her exposure way too much.

I don’t think any of us who want our kids back in school thinks it’s our “saving grace”. And we know it won’t be the same. But yeah some kids who haven’t seen any friends in months just want to be back even if it’s not the same. Just because they can’t do all the things they used to doesn’t mean it’s not a better option for them then staying home.

I have started to notice a trend, many parents who think kids should stay home are quick to point out every little issue with kids going back to school. They make a huge deal out of things like “kids won’t get to play sports or see all of their friends”. Yet those things aren’t an issue with keeping kids home? How is that? It’s like they feel the need to justify not sending their kids. You don’t. We get it, and don’t judge you.

I would just like to point out that those of us who want our kids in school for various reasons are not stupid, we know all these things. We have thought long and hard about our decisions. We don’t sit here and point out all the reasons why keeping kids at home isn’t a good idea. So why do others feel the need to bring up every little issue with sending kids to school.

There are many people who actually do think it is going to be same old. Good to know you're not one of them.

Also please pay attention to what was and wasn't said - I didn't say ANY option was better than another. I pointed out the options and the challenges they all pose.

No one was making a big deal out of anything, except perhaps you. Where we are, there are actually several activities running for kids this summer that will not be available this fall.

No one even remotely called anyone stupid.

The point of this thread is to discuss back to school plans and the issues surrounding the return to school. If this is bothers you, then this isn't the thread for you.

For the rest of this thread can we all please not judge others. Can we try not to convince parents what the best thing to do is. Can we stop focusing on all the negative things of the options we didn’t choose.

No one was. The only one doing these things, or imagining these things, was you.

We went for an outdoor visit with family yesterday and this was the topic of conversation for more than half the visit. Its a big topic with big feelings , that’s for sure. I can’t imagine the anxiety educators are feeling. Well I can a little bit. My sister in law is a teacher and she put it nicely , she’s just worried about ALL of it.. she‘s worried about teaching , she’s worried about not teaching , she‘s worried about her students, she’s worried about sending her kids back to school and daycare , she’s worried about the ramifications of not sending her kids to school and daycare. She’s such a lovely kind person and I look at her and think “if anyone would do the best things possible, it would be her” ..but she doesn’t even know what those things are .. so she worries . All any of us want is to feel safe and protect our families. Let’s protect each other too. :grouphug:

Im from the US so im not sure how canada is dealing with unemployment right now. But here they ahve since stopped the bonus and many jobs are saying come back or you loose your job. What options do parents have at this point? Cant pay bills or kids get sick. Its legit torture right now to have to make these kinds of choices. Most that need to be at work right now have them in daycares so sending them to school would be little different. What about folks who cant afford daycare on top of working. Daycare is SUPER $$$$. All of this on top of the safety and wellness of staff and students.

I am very thankful for the choices we have made. As my DH would say "You are not a SAHM you are a school bus driver, that is a job". Hahaha I always looked at it as a way to pay for my Disney fix while bringing my children with me. Due to our personal beliefs we have sent our children to a private Christian School for their entire school journey. Both the High School and Elementary School my four children are going to have been very helpful last year and the information we have received for next year is encouraging.

The turnover to online learning last year went very well as the teachers were very prepared last year for on-line learning. They spent their March Break getting ready to start up, and luckily one of our teachers is also principal for an on-line school so he was able to help guide the other teachers in their journey of emergency on-line schooling. The teachers had daily google hangouts with the kids and both the assignments available for the mandatory courses as well as optional assignments. Unfortunately we live in a valley in a rural area and our internet reception is atrocious! We could only access the internet with one or two devices at a time, but we needed four going constantly. There were many nights one child would be up until 11 pm, some nights midnight. Two of my four children bloomed during that time, with more one on one mom time. Three of the four have learning disabilities.

Part of the reason we will be sending our children back to school is the limited internet access they have here at home, part is with the LD one of my children is going very backwards. As our school is directed by our own Boards they have more leeway in how they react. The elementary school has hired an extra daytime custodian and extra homeroom teachers to enable them to have lower classroom sizes, sanitation, and small cohorts. I am not sure where they will get the extra classrooms from, however we do still have an extra french room, two portables that are currently used for storage, and the possibility of rooms at the church that is abutting the school. Excited to see how they do it! They have already sent out the surveys where we choose if our children will be bussed or driven for this year, to make up their routes. Their intentions are five days a week but with plans in place to swing instantly over to on-line learning, as well as providing on-line learning off the bat to those who so desire. The High School two of my children will be attending is just finishing off an expansion. Their intention is to keep the kids in school five days a week in with their classmates for classes (they do not call it a cohort, but it sure seems like it). They also have sent out the survey asking if you intend to bus or drive your children.

My biggest worry is as a school bus driver for the public and separate school systems I might bring sickness home to my family, and how I will be able to get my children to their school bus stops. Part of their LD, they are not allowed to be left without adult supervision. :( Would love some prayer that all four get to their schools safely every day.
Sending some prayers your way. :)

.but she doesn’t even know what those things are .. so she worries .

Exactly. There just aren't really any truly good options. Every option has risks and challenges - for the students, the parents, the teachers etc... And in a way it's a matter of conflicting interests. To best address everyone's safety, the student's education gets put the most at risk. To best address their education, people's health gets put the most at risk.

I keep hearing people argue about how keeping their kids out of school negatively affects their mental health - which does have some merit, although there are a million ways to have had your kids socially distance interact over the last four months. You know what’s going to impact their mental health even worse, living with the knowledge that they brought Covid home from school which then sickened or killed a family member.

I keep hearing people argue about how keeping their kids out of school negatively affects their mental health - which does have some merit, although there are a million ways to have had your kids socially distance interact over the last four months. You know what’s going to impact their mental health even worse, living with the knowledge that they brought Covid home from school which then sickened or killed a family member.

See this is the type of post we could do without. It’s not your child, you don’t know why they need school. And you are basically trying to make people feel for guilty for sending their kids to school.

Hi Hon
There are ways and maybe you can help others by suggesting some ways that you have helped your family (kids) during this time.
I know I struggle with not seeing my granddaughter and she is only a short drive away.
So far I am
:emailing once a week (don't want to impose more than this as she is a teen).
:ordering a few treats off of Amazon for her,,yes I spoil her but she's my only grandchild.
:took up a hobby to show her if I could she could.(never too old to learn something new).

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Meglen
Throughout the summer I am doing Zoom with one of my kids (student) that got stuck in India,,
He is a very special little kid!
We use Zoom.
His mom & Dad are ok with it.
I sure hope they can get a flight home soon and his mom's visa runs out Aug 1dt!!!

Hugs Mel

See this is the type of post we could do without. It’s not your child, you don’t know why they need school. And you are basically trying to make people feel for guilty for sending their kids to school.

Woooow slow down and re read,,,try not to judge posts too much..let others say what they feel.
Engage in positive conversation.

Hugs
Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter