Bad Optics for DCL?

I think the question will be if commercial air is flying and if there will be open travel from airports to other places for non-essential traffic.

My take: They'll very soon need all the money they can get. Tip extra and purchase generously. That's what these entire islands rely on for income.

- barrey

Good tip on tipping. I will step up the tipping as much as I can.

My favorite tipping story:

Frank Sinatra was at a hotel in Vegas and asked the bellhop what was the biggest tip he ever got. The guy said $100. Sinatra gave him $200 and asked, "Who gave you the $100 tip?" The guy said, "You did Mr Sinatra."

So I will try to outgive myself.

You paid a lot of money to be doing that too. It's not like you are being given the cruise at the expense of others, I assume you paid for it. Heck, for you know, there could be a lot of people on the cruise with you whose homes were damaged so they decided to take a cruise to kill time while they await the insurance check. No reason to feel guilty. You can always donate to organizations whose mission it is to provide aid in disasters like that and let the people that know what they are doing do what they do.

There are a lot of forums and Facebook groups that completely disagree with these opinions and think everyone should stay away.

We are supposed to fly down the 18th just to go to WDW and at this point I'm playing it by ear. If WDW is open, the airport is open and we can get from airport to disney we will go if not we won't.

There are a lot of forums and Facebook groups that completely disagree with these opinions and think everyone should stay away.

We are supposed to fly down the 18th just to go to WDW and at this point I'm playing it by ear. If WDW is open, the airport is open and we can get from airport to disney we will go if not we won't.

There are a plethora of opinions being posted that people should not go to WDW because a hurricane hit FL? If that is the case, it shows how ridiculous the masses have become. So what is the Disney corporation to do? Just close up and go out of business because a hurricane hit? So I suppose all the restaurants and stores, and other business should just cease operations because a storm did some damage? Wow.

There are a plethora of opinions being posted that people should not go to WDW because a hurricane hit FL? If that is the case, it shows how ridiculous the masses have become. So what is the Disney corporation to do? Just close up and go out of business because a hurricane hit? So I suppose all the restaurants and stores, and other business should just cease operations because a storm did some damage? Wow.
There are some groups on Facebook that are so bad I left them. There are some that if someone asks a question totally unrelated to the hurricane but say has a question about something at disney they are getting put down for not thinking of all the people in fl first.

There are some groups on Facebook that are so bad I left them. There are some that if someone asks a question totally unrelated to the hurricane but say has a question about something at disney they are getting put down for not thinking of all the people in fl first.

There are just mindless people out there. Why would someone think that just because someone is going to a Disney park that they give no thought or care about anyone that may be in need of assistance or struggling? How do they know whether that person may have helped in some way? and if the Disney corporation is providing assistance and aid in some way, which they usually do in a big way, they wouldn't be able to do that unless people patronized their business.

We're going on the Eastern Caribbean cruise on 10/07 and I was thinking the same thing. Tortola took a hit. They'll be trying to rebuild and recover and here I come bouncing off a big beautiful cruise ship wanting a chair at the beach and a drink. I feel kind of conflicted about that.
You all will be bringing a lot of much needed money to these folks. Cruise ships are their "job" and only sources of income for some

Yes! This! We are set to sail 9/30 on the Fantasy, my brother is getting married. We have been planning this trip for 2 years. So this thread makes me feel better to know not everybody feels we are terrible people to be planning this trip still. Many prayers to those affected and those in Irma's path!

Yes! This! We are set to sail 9/30 on the Fantasy, my brother is getting married. We have been planning this trip for 2 years. So this thread makes me feel better to know not everybody feels we are terrible people to be planning this trip still. Many prayers to those affected and those in Irma's path!

I hate to sound so cynical, but it's 2017 and it seems like everyone is searching for some reason to think everyone else is "terrible people". It makes me so freaking sad.

I'm traveling to Orlando next week and a then a cruise on RC for week--assuming the airports and PC are open. But I've been through many hurricanes and weather emergencies (and a recession) and I know that, yes, life gets back to normal, and those tourist destinations don't want us to mournfully sit home with our money out of a misguided sense of respect.

I hope everything goes well for you.

In Central Florida, so many people work hourly positions that the longer the parks are closed the harder things get for them. I lived in Florida for many years, and one of the best feelings after a hurricane passes is being able to get back to as regular life as you can. Sometimes it takes longer than other times, 2004 we were hit back to back to back. But, you do come out the other side of the storm, and move on with your life. I am extraordinarily concerned about my friends and family that are currently in Florida. But, I also have great confidence that they are making themselves as safe as possible. I am greatly looking forward to going to Florida in about a month and spending time with friends on the Dream.

To be honest, once it has passed, if things are open for business, be the business. That's cool.

The people who have made me itch are the "Disney is the best/safest place to be during a hurricane so I'm not worried and I'm on my way right now! They'll have water and food at the resorts so I don't need to worry about a thing! Later, I will complain that the pool is closed and the wi fi is slow!"

Guilt is an emotion reserved for when you have actually done something wrong. It's warranted to feel sadness when others suffer. Empathy is a good thing that the world needs more of. But guilt is unwarranted unless you've done something wrong to contribute to the suffering.

It's hard to know the appropriate emotions to express when others are going through something terrible. And while many emotions are entirely appropriate in these situations, guilt is not one of them. Unless you can control the weather.

We're going on the Eastern Caribbean cruise on 10/07 and I was thinking the same thing. Tortola took a hit. They'll be trying to rebuild and recover and here I come bouncing off a big beautiful cruise ship wanting a chair at the beach and a drink. I feel kind of conflicted about that.

I'm on that sailing too and expect an altered itinerary will be announced.

FB is outta control with crazy people. I have had to explain multiple times that we are able to have concern for more than one thing at a time because we are complicated beings. We can, in fact, be concerned about the islands, FL, and vacations all at one time.

We rode out the hurricane in 2004 (I think it was Jeanne) a the Poly at WDW. Our cruise was shortened (was starting on a Monday instead of a Saturday) because PC was being evacuated. We were actually on our way to the port on Friday when we got the word that the cruise was shortened (had been in Clearwater for a few days and had not heard of the hurricane!).

It was very eerie riding out a hurricane. We were not allowed out of our building. We had to take in the balcony furniture so it would not blow around. All the guests were offered a box meal to take to their room for the night. We never lost power. I was very impressed. After the storm the resort looked like a bomb hit it. There were palm fronds all over, shingles down, debris everywhere, stuff in the pools, etc. We were amazed at how fast Disney had people cleaning up. By that afternoon the pools were open again and most of the mess was cleaned up. We felt very lucky we only had to deal with new travel arrangements but did not have to worry about our home and family members. We had it easy compared to the Florida residents (BTW many residents head to WDW for rooms during hurricanes). I had not known that but it makes sense. We just lucked out getting a room as we just pulled in when we found out PC was being cleared out.

Disney bused us down to Ft. Lauderdale to meet the ship and leave from there. They packed up a box lunch to eat on the bus.

Good luck to all those affected by these storms. Stay safe and strong as this beast of a storm bears down.

MJ

My guess is that Eastern itineraries may reroute some and may include San Juan, Nassau, and CC. San Juan and Nassau were impacted, but not flattened like the BVI/USVI. St. John and St. Thomas are in bad shape and as of this morning, standard ferry service between them hasn't reopened. Tortola is a mess.

The Marines and Coast Guard are at work in the USVI. Beaches may reopen fairly quickly, but a lot of resorts were hit hard, and the pleasure boat harbors are in bad shape (as are the boats). Even if cruises can dock, there will be a number of excursions that aren't feasible for a while.

My guess is that Eastern itineraries may reroute some and may include San Juan, Nassau, and CC. San Juan and Nassau were impacted, but not flattened like the BVI/USVI. St. John and St. Thomas are in bad shape and as of this morning, standard ferry service between them hasn't reopened. Tortola is a mess.

The Marines and Coast Guard are at work in the USVI. Beaches may reopen fairly quickly, but a lot of resorts were hit hard, and the pleasure boat harbors are in bad shape (as are the boats). Even if cruises can dock, there will be a number of excursions that aren't feasible for a while.

And don't forget that St Martin/Sint Maarten is demolished as well. DCL *does* still have itineraries that go there.

And don't forget that St Martin/Sint Maarten is demolished as well. DCL *does* still have itineraries that go there.

Yeah. I think the challenge will be the number of cruises normally calling at St. Thomas, in particular, and how long/if they need to reroute and to where.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter