Bag checks at airport

Tigger7570

Happiness is OKW
We normally bring some items with us for the condo, i.e., sugar, coffee, salt & pepper and a host of other items which we pack in our checked suitcases. Now with the new scanners for the luggage, I am aware of leaving them unlocked, but has anyone had any experience in regard to bringing these items? Has there been any problems? Someone mentioned to me that they may possibly create a problem because of a concern of things being hidden in the food. I am going to check with the airlines, and if this is the case, I will just buy everyone in FL, but it usually saves us some money to carry these items and also because some we use in such a small quantity, I hate to buy a full size there. Any help would be great.

I flew down two weeks ago today, and I took all those things you mentioned plus washing powder tablets and dryer sheets. Coming home, I brought back unused portions and even some fruit that we had purchased there and not eaten. I had no problems. At MCO, they had luggage scanners right at the ticket counters. People were randomly selected to have their luggage checked before going to the counter. My mother's was checked, mine wasn't. She had some of the things mentioned, but they did not have her open it. They scanned it and said it was fine. I pack no differently than I ever did. I just no longer lock my luggage incase they have to open it. I liked seeing it scanned right in front of me instead of people going through it after it has been checked. Not all airports have these setups yet (I know Memphis doesn't)

And I could be surprised by the facts, but having flown four times since 9/11 and nearly always carrying some sort of small food type items I have never had a problem. Particularly if you are taking small packages of items to make coffee it just wouldn't normally be something a security person would rip open to check. The x-rays would pick up a weapon and if they would concerned with drugs such a tiny quantity would be silly to smuggle besides the drug dogs would also be able to detect.

For what it is worth, I have personally not encountered a problem (and actually last time we DID carry a bag with small packs of sugar, Equal, powdered creamer, etc. for coffee) and logically I can't imagine that would present a problem with security.

Tigger7570,
The new requirement since Jan 1st is 100% scanning of checked baggage. I read that some food items like chocolate cause a problem with the scanners and necessitate hand searching which is why they ask you not to carry food items in your checked baggage.
I think I heard on the radio that 1/3 of the check baggage had to be hand screened (I don't know how accurate that is).
I don't think I would care to consume food that might have been searched out of my sight as I am not sure to what extent they would go to in searching the baggge (would they run their hands through a bag of sugar? bleh!). I am assuming that these wouldn't be unopened packages that you would be packing? they recommend packing stuff in clear plastic bags to minimize the need for them to handle personal items.

We have had TSA search our carryon bags where they have handled our food (and we subsequently tossed it out).

Here is a link to the TSA web site which provides more details

TSA tips for packing your bags

-DC :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter