Bahama Bay of Orlando Resort

cey

Disney Veteran
:sad2: DH and I were at this resort from March 9-17th and were very disappointed. This resort happens to be the noisiest we have ever stayed at. We encountered numerous problems, the major ones being very little soundproofing between units, garbage trucks collecting waste containers at 5 AM, water leaking from the ceiling near light fixtures ( two reports of this from people at the pool), lack of security ( they consider a phone call to the guilty party, the proper way to handle a noise complaint!), murky pool water in all four pools (we were told this happens every weekend due to heavy usage???), hot tubs overflowing with foam, no designated quiet pool , a very small TV in the living room and others bolted high up on the walls in each bedroom( made us feel they were worried about them being stolen!), low end wicker furniture etc. We had paid for a two bedroom deluxe unit and found ourselves on the ground floor with a parking lot view, despite my phone calls and request to the resort. The second bedroom in the unit was very small and barely had room for the 2 twin beds. This room might have been suitable for small children but even teenagers would have been cramped! This 2 bedroom unit would not have been suitable for two couples to share. We later found out if we would have paid less for the regular two bedroom unit, we would have had a better view and been on the second floor. This might have prevented us from having to listen to the young girl in the unit above us running and jumping until 1 am! This resort does not have elevators, and lacks the plan to build a larger pool area, despite the additional units which are being constructed. On initial appearance this resort looks massive, it has sidewalks constructed around the existing water ponds which are maintained in a natural state, but one of the ponds had the remains of a non-functional fountain which appeared to be in a state of disrepair. I found that the resort had cut many corners, eg. by not installing mirrors in any of the pool washrooms or planting annuals in the extensive landscaping around the resort. Many of the shrubs appeared to be dead and the flower beds required weeding and mulch. Most other resorts pride themselves on their landscaping. However,the resort did spray for fire ants when we were there. We have stayed at some lovely resorts such as Vistana Villages, Orange Lake Golf and Country Club, Wyndham Palms Golf and Country Club, Regal Palms, Cypress Pointe, Westgate Lakes, Liki Tiki, and various WDW resorts in the past few years, and have not encountered the extensive problems we did at this resort. If you consider renting at this resort, do not expect the same resort quality. I would rate this resort at the bottom of the list, solely on the lack of soundproofing and the constant construction noise from early in the morning until dark, even without the other faults. We had really been looking forward to visiting BB and I thought I had done my research by reading trip advisor. It turns out the negative reports do not exagerate this resort's flaws and I am confident many similar reports will soon be posted. Many people were complaining during checkout and were filling out the evaluation forms to back up their concerns. It may very well be that there are some lucky renters or owners who aren't experiencing any of the above problems, but the majority of renters we met at the pool did not have positive reviews on the resort! PM me if you want any further info about the specific locations of building or construction.:

We stayed there last August after a week at the CR...we also had a ceiling leak:confused3
Also the front desk staff are horrid....we checked in and they made us pay extra to be given our condo one hour early..3pm insted of 4pm...I was too tired to ague...and we were getting married at this resort a few days later..I had half hoped as we were getting married there they might up grade our condo ...especially as the resort seemed half empty. But no ...no upgrade...not even my requests were met. I really wanted a ground floor close to the wedding gazabo as i would have to walk over in my dress in the blazing heat on my wedding day....insted they tried to put me in a condo ...miles from the gazabo..:scared1: ...i was furious...its not like they have a lot of weddings there I thought they might at least try to cater to my requests....but no...they add insult to injury by charging us to get in our room early..:confused3 ...that kind of customer service stinks...the front desk didn't even give me so much as a congratulations.
I won't be back.

Hi Cey,
I will be staying at BB in May, and I am very worried now after reading more and more bad reviews about BB.
May I know which unit are you staying?
Which buildings are under construction?
How do you book the accommodation?
Thank you very much! ;)

We were in building 37 unit 101 (bottom floor two bedroom deluxe Andros Unit). I am looking at the map right now and the construction is really all around the perimeter. I would try to avoid any building on Rum Run ( units 32-38 )or Gran Bahama Blvd units( 27, 28, 24, 25.) The problem is with the luck of the draw being the front desk, it doesn't matter if you phone or email the resort, the front desk will place you where THEY want you to be. That may also be in the wrong unit (not the upgrade you paid for!). The poorly constructed units are really the problem. Interestingly enough, since we were home we have talked to another family that stayed in building 38 and the upstairs noise was also an issue. You have no control over who is overhead unless you are on the top floor and then you have to use the stairs as there are no elevators. It may be worth your while to upgrade to the three bedroom deluxe unit (the Grand Bahama )and at least you can hope you are on the third floor. If stairs are a problem, look for another resort closer to WDW and Universal. If you like to shop or do the theme parks, driving WILL become an issue. The lower price you pay in staying in Davenport is soon eaten up with travelling time and gas. Good Luck! :coffee:

So sorry to hear about the bad experiences there. Our stay had its ups & downs. We went in December after MVMCP, and I was freaked out about driving back since it was practically pitch black and it was a pretty far drive. We were so beat after leaving the MK we didn't notice any noises, but we were leak free. We were actually booked for a 2 bedroom, but were upgraded for free to a 3 bedroom so that was a very nice surprise - or error but in our favor! We did get hit with a $50 cleaning charge upon check in I wasn't expecting, so that took a little from our play money - and they didn't even see DS 4 & 2:rotfl: All in all we had a decent experience with the room itself, but after reading this thread and considering the drive to no man's land, we won't be returning :sad2:

My DH was very keen to book there but I wasn't sure . Very glad I didn't agree to book it now. Thanks for Posting, it is good to know where to avoid for the future.

Wow, I feel like I have been saved from much heartache! This was our top choice until a friend offerred to rent us her timeshare at Liki tiki and if this is even worse than there, I would have been shellling out a lot more money to move!! We had noise problems as well and the front desk was a nightmare. We were glad that we hadn't chosen BB for the drive that is for sure as we were already feeling wayyyyy out there in Liki tiki.

It's a shame BB seems to have gone downhill quickly. We stayed for 1 week at Easter 05 and loved the spacious, clean accomodation and the well kept pool and beach areas, we also never had any problem with noise.
I agree with the other posters - it is in no-man's land - and that is the only reason why we won't be returning.
Shame that they've let the resort go downhill! :sad2:

I am actually planning to stay at BB in May.. but after reading this thread...should I stay at BB? or should I stay away? :confused3

This isn't the only bad review thread about BB on the DIS...look around, you'll find more.

I guess I'd be very nervous if it were me, due to the 1) poor quality of the resort (by the reviews, I have not stayed there personally) and 2) the distance to WDW.

I guess the whole point of the DIS is to help people make better decisions, and avoid making the same mistakes as others, if you choose to ignore the bad reviews and experiences numerous other people have reported, then do so at your own risk, just don't be surprised if you show up and it's what you heard about of course! (Bad)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter