Balcony Smoking - AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancind

Tinkerbell's Mom
I know this has been beaten to death. But we have reserved a category 6 room for the 10 day cruise, we're talking big bucks here. With four sea days, I expect we will spend quite a bit of time enjoying our balcony. Now I'm worried though, what if we wind up next to a smoker for 10 DAYS! I think it would be really, really upsetting, since DD and I wouldn't be able to go out on our balcony. What would our options be, given that it will probably be a sold out cruise?

You are right that is probably going to be a sold out cruise. not only is it a special itinerary, but it is Xmas. Do you have a chance of having a smoking neighbor, yes. Is there a chance that he will smoke on his veranda at the same time you are enjoying your veranda, yes. I would guess that the likelihood of both happening is slim, but not non-existant. If it does happen, you really have no recourse, but to either tolerate it, or stay inside.

As to whether you should rebook your cabin, that would depend on how much the smoke may bother you.

Since all cruise lines want to go out of their way to give you the best cruise possible, ask if you can have a small electric fan with enough cord to place it on the balcony. Just blow the smoke back or away from you some how. I know its not the perfect solution, but its better than not be able to use the balcony that you paid for.

Just a wild thought:rolleyes:

Bad news - we're taking my mother-in-law on that cruise :( - she smokes :mad: and we'll be placing her downwind from our verandah :smooth: (Deck 7) Sorry... Unfortunately, the verandah is her only option. I personally voted for the "no smoking anywhere on the ship" Smoking poll, but here I am facing a situation where her only option to smoke at ease is on her own private verandah. Now if they make Rockin Bar D a non-smoking area, I won't have to take her to the shows :jester: (Just kiddin folks) Can't we all just get along... Just light up
smoking.gif

I mean... LIGHTEN up
cool.gif

If the ship is at sea and moving the breeze is so stiff there is no way in heck any appreciable smoke is going to carry from balcony to balcony, the only possible time would be sitting in port.

Love the suggestion about the fan, though it probably won't work when the ship is moving. LOL! Maybe we'll try it if it happens in a port. Trishy, thank goodness we aren't on deck 7. Diana

Hi Dancind.

what if we wind up next to a smoker for 10 DAYS! I think it would be really, really upsetting, since DD and I wouldn't be able to go out on our balcony. What would our options be,

Go to your local novelty store. Buy one of those hand-held "passed gas" sound replicators. Also purchase a spray can of "faux-fart" gas. Every time the culprit lights up a cigarette, it's time for you and DD to press and spray, press and spray, press and spray...

If that seems like too much work, I can get you in contact with my ex-brother-in-law. He may be a pig, but the man can most certainly accomplish an identical result...

just remember that person also paid big bucks for their cruise also and they are just as much entitled to be on their veranda as you are yours. Because you do not smoke it does not mean that your money is any greener than theirs. Just as smoke may bother you what you may do out their may bother them. Live and Let Live

On our 4 cruises with verandas we've never had a problem with smokers next door. Did have two cruises with very nosy neighbors who were always peeking over or leaning over to take a look. Oh yeah, that's when I had my in-laws next door :)
They won't be coming on the Christmas Cruise!

Just as smoke may bother you what you may do out their may bother them. Live and Let Live

katz99 - please don't take offense and turn on the flames, but do you REALLY believe the above??? It makes no sense. I don't care if people smoke (in MY opinion they are irrationally weak, but so be it). Just don't inflict your addiction on me or my family. Smokers can, and should, reposition themselves to accommodate non-smokers since it is the smoker who extends beyond their paid-for verandah.

A Disney cruise is a most cherished event in my life and I enjoy sharing in the delights with others. I do not, however, wish to share anyone's smoke. Let's follow the advice with your chosen phrase: "Live and LET Live"...

*rolls her eyes*

This AGAIN?!?

If the ship is moving, you are not going to be bothered by smoke. If the ship is at port, most everyone is ashore. What are the odds that two odd families are going to spend a port day sitting on their veranda, that one family smokes and the other doesn't, and that they will just happen to have staterooms next to each other??? C'mon.....

Nobody is disputing health concerns with second-hand smoke, but that is irrelevant in the veranda issue. This issue is about being close to a substance that annoys and bothers you. In that case, I am going to start dousing people with Febreze who insist on marinating in cologne.

We all pay a lot of money for these cruises... and we are ALL responsible for insuring we have a good time, in spite of what bothers us -- because different things will always bother different people.

-gina-

I sure hope Katz99 isn't a smoker, I like to think that most of them are much more considerate than that. We didn't have any smokers around us on our last cruise, and I really thought that if someone in front of us on the ship was smoking on their balcony, it would blow directly into ours. I didn't realize that it would blow OUT and awaywhen the ship is moving. That's good to know, thanks. Though I really did enjoy our balcony when we were in port docking and disembarking. That's when there's actually something to see! Diana

How about getting one of those foghorn spray cans and showing them what it's like to be annoyed although you'd be annoying everyone around you. I guess you'll just have to toss them over the side, LOL.

It really can be gross! Especially if the individuals are leaning up on the veranda rail. On our first two cruises we had a veranda an never noticed any smoke at all. On cruise number three.. now this could be because we were in port more being the western.. or I was more sensitive being ill myself.. BUT.....
I had an ear infection and tried to rest on our veranda waiting for the antibiotics to kick in and next to us was a couple that were puffing away leaning over the rail.. they actually looked over and asked if I was ok.. (this was during the whole norwalk scare) the next day I heard/smelled much worse (vomiting...oh yuck!)as apparently they were afflicted with the virus according to my room steward. By then my ear was feeling much better and I went on to enjoy the rest of the trip... Karma maybe?????????????

Originally posted by katz99
just remember that person also paid big bucks for their cruise also and they are just as much entitled to be on their veranda as you are yours. Because you do not smoke it does not mean that your money is any greener than theirs. Just as smoke may bother you what you may do out their may bother them. Live and Let Live

Yes but for those of us with severe reactions (MIGRAINS HERE!) to smoke smell it COULD ruin our day. This happened to me on our July 19th cruise! We were in Cabin 7098 and our neighbors were smokers and were always outside smoking! The result, the balcony was never used! wasted money!

I had to register just to reply to this post. Smoking giving you migraines and such when it's in such a limited area, one's own balcony, segregated portions of the adults only lounges, topside on only one side etc. I realize it is a health hazard but I believe so is eating meat which is all I smell in a restaurant and so is drinking alcohol which is all I smell In a lounge along with the heavy perfume and aftershave odors. Where do you draw the line? I think people should get over themselves as being the center of the universe and just have fun. And believe me when I smell bacon it stays in my nose for hours but I do not let it ruin my day. Thanks for letting me dump, Disneyn

it is proven that smelling bacon and perfume will give you cancer you will have a legit complaint.
As an ex (halaluia sp?) smoker I can say that the smell make me ill as well.
On the two cruises where we had balconies we had no problem there with the smoke but trying to play Bingo in the bar was out of the question. We also see the nice smokers throwing their butts over the rail which is a big DCL NO NO. I find that most smokers I know think they have a right to infect my space with their smoke.
We have booked a cruise to Alaska next year on Princess and I am dreading going on a ship that allows smoking almost everywhere except the dinning rooms.

For the original poster, I don't think you will have a problem. Relax and enjoy.

actually it has never been proven that breathing the amount of smoke you would get from sitting on the next balcony in the outdoors would cause cancer any more than perfume or bacon.
All of the studies have involved closed spaces and long term exposure.
You certainly can't get cancer from being in a cabin that had a smoker on it the last trip and you can't get cancer from walking by somebody smoking.
You may not like it and that is a different issue but to throw the C word around for situations like that is just a scare tactic.
Before someone says it, no that does not apply to someone with asthma etc...

On our last cruise in November (3-day) we were downwind of some serious smokers, and therefore we rarely used our balcony (yes, they seemed to hang out in their room or be on the balcony whenever we went to our room). Our room had a door that connected with theirs and, our room smelled of stale smoke by the end of the cruise. People walking by in the halls were wondering where the smell of cigarette smoke was coming from.
Lucky it was only a 3-day cruise because we probably couldn't take much more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter