Baltimore Key Bridge collapss

firefly_ris

DIS Veteran
Horrible incident overnight. It's unsettling to think about places you've driven all your life and you just assume it will always be there, not realizing one incident can change the entire landscape.

Key Bridge on 695 hit by a cargo ship around 140am.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-bridge-collapse-key-bridge/60303975

7 people unaccounted for, vehicles detected in the water. One of my worst fears is to die in a submerged vehicle. Can't imagine how many more it would have been had this happened in the morning rush hour.

7 people unaccounted for,

now updated to 7-20 people, 2 rescued so far, one at shock trauma and one declined medical assistance.
Up to 20 guys were working on the bridge, they had a pour they were working on, they (my local Baltimore talk radio station) are only now starting to mention them although I read that they were on there earlier this AM on a international news site. Not sure if it was the GC or a sub.

now updated to 7-20 people, 2 rescued so far, one at shock trauma and one declined medical assistance.
Up to 20 guys were working on the bridge, they had a pour they were working on.
Yeah - not surprised if it goes up - but they should have a decent idea of how many cars were on it Id assume- there is no shortage of cameras Id say

Horrible incident overnight. It's unsettling to think about places you've driven all your life and you just assume it will always be there, not realizing one incident can change the entire landscape.

Key Bridge on 695 hit by a cargo ship around 140am.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-bridge-collapse-key-bridge/60303975

7 people unaccounted for, vehicles detected in the water. One of my worst fears is to die in a submerged vehicle. Can't imagine how many more it would have been had this happened in the morning rush hour.

Yes....just awful, and the submerged vehicle thing death is awful. We have that hammer thingy in our car for this reason. Of course, the fall alone from that height would be difficult to survive. Awful all around.

I'd read the story of Elaine Chao's sister, who died in her car in Texas after backing into a pond. She couldn't figure out how to get out....called people from inside the car for help... just awful to think of.

One of my worst fears is to die in a submerged vehicle.

Make sure you have a glass breaking tool in your glovebox, that will help ease your fear a bit at the very least. Obviously there's still a LOT that can go wrong anyway. I also watched the two Mythbusters episodes about it and what their tips are for survival...good thing to watch.

Regarding the bridge collapse, it does have some strange things according to how the boat was going that need to be investigated. I'm NOT saying anything nefarious was happening, only that it seemed to have some strange circumstances right now.

Up to 20 guys were working on the bridge, they had a pour they were working on, they (my local Baltimore talk radio station) are only now starting to mention them although I read that they were on there earlier this AM on a international news site. Not sure if it was the GC or a sub.

Oh no. I didn't know there were guys up there too. Oh how horrible.

Absolutely tragic and terrifying. Thoughts to all those who were on the bridge and ship at the time of the collapse.

Make sure you have a glass breaking tool in your glovebox, that will help ease your fear a bit at the very least. Obviously there's still a LOT that can go wrong anyway. I also watched the two Mythbusters episodes about it and what their tips are for survival...good thing to watch.

Regarding the bridge collapse, it does have some strange things according to how the boat was going that need to be investigated. I'm NOT saying anything nefarious was happening, only that it seemed to have some strange circumstances right now.

Yes I definitely am getting one of those for each vehicle. I'll check out the mythbusters!

I watched the video of the collapse; I don't feel it was intentional but bizarre watching them drive straight into the support. Not sure how that could have been missed, unless something was wrong with the ship? I don't know enough about ships to have any idea.

It's terrible! I can't imagine how bad this could have been if it had been in the middle of the day or rush hour. I know they are still searching for some people - my best wishes to the rescuers and victims.

Yes I definitely am getting one of those for each vehicle. I'll check out the mythbusters!

I watched the video of the collapse; I don't feel it was intentional but bizarre watching them drive straight into the support. Not sure how that could have been missed, unless something was wrong with the ship? I don't know enough about ships to have any idea.
You watched the video but didn’t see the lights go off on the ship? They lost power. Couldn’t steer. Power comes back on briefly. Then you see heavy smoke at the back of the ship, they tried to reverse but couldn’t with no power.

I feel sorry for those people who lost their lives, but I also feel sorry for the captain of the ship. He will live with this the rest of his life.

I have one of these on my keychain.
https://www.amazon.com/01-100-09-Or...FM_7NNkWBY-RX644nZljDoYn6g7g9P0BoC-WcQAvD_BwE

You watched the video but didn’t see the lights go off on the ship? They lost power. Couldn’t steer. Power comes back on briefly. Then you see heavy smoke at the back of the ship, they tried to reverse but couldn’t with no power.

I feel sorry for those people who lost their lives, but I also feel sorry for the captain of the ship. He will live with this the rest of his life.

Ah I see. I was looking at it on my phone so that was hard to see. I did see smoke.

I'm NOT saying anything nefarious was happening, only that it seemed to have some strange circumstances right now.
FBI has already indicated that it was not a terroristic act and/or on purpose. Most recent reports saying that the ship reported some issues when it left the Port of Baltimore. Additionally it is also being reported the ship lost power just prior to hitting bridge.

As someone who is in construction and risk management my mind is reeling with the thought of it all. As someone whose son operates cranes on bridge construction I'm a bit freaked out at 'what-if' and as someone who is a safety manager and conducting two construction safety meetings today (albeit we don't do road or bridge construction but we are in heavy construction) we will be talking about this and it's impact on survivors and the families of the construction workers lost.

From a commerce point of view the Port of Baltimore and logistics around the area will be affected, that is a major heavy equipment & vehicle port. I think cruises come & go from there. Not to mention the cost to replace and time it will take to replace the Key Bridge.

30,000 vehicles use that bridge on a daily basis, including trucks transporting items that are not allowed and/or to big to go thru the tunnels or other bridges.

"thanks" and "prayers" to the First Responders who have been working these last long hours...I put that in quotes because it seems inadequate. Those people in vehicles & trucks crossing the bridge, it must have been terrifying.

The two guys they pulled out earlier today alive were construction workers according to what one of the county commissioners just reported.

Sad for those who lost their lives in the actual incident but the repercussions will last for years. That's 695, the Baltimore beltway. Bad for getting around, but far worse is its locked down the commercial cargo shipping in and out of the port of Baltimore, not to mention all other shipping trapped behind the bridge. So it's a much larger problem to the world economy than just dropping a bridge.
No way to tell how quickly they'll be able to open the channel again.

FBI has already indicated that it was not a terroristic act and/or on purpose. Most recent reports saying that the ship reported some issues when it left the Port of Baltimore. Additionally it is also being reported the ship lost power just prior to hitting bridge.

As someone who is in construction and risk management my mind is reeling with the thought of it all. As someone whose son operates cranes on bridge construction I'm a bit freaked out at 'what-if' and as someone who is a safety manager and conducting two construction safety meetings today (albeit we don't do road or bridge construction but we are in heavy construction) we will be talking about this and it's impact on survivors and the families of the construction workers lost.

From a commerce point of view the Port of Baltimore and logistics around the area will be affected, that is a major heavy equipment & vehicle port. I think cruises come & go from there. Not to mention the cost to replace and time it will take to replace the Key Bridge.

30,000 vehicles use that bridge on a daily basis, including trucks transporting items that are not allowed and/or to big to go thru the tunnels or other bridges.

"thanks" and "prayers" to the First Responders who have been working these last long hours...I put that in quotes because it seems inadequate. Those people in vehicles & trucks crossing the bridge, it must have been terrifying.

The two guys they pulled out earlier today alive were construction workers according to what one of the county commissioners just reported.
yeah - as I understand it the same ship had a problem a few years back and it was operator error.

In this case the propulsion seems to have failed.

Im sure we will get more info as the day goes on and this can all change of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter