Bama Ed's 2015 WDW Marathon Weekend Trip Report. ADDED-FT DESOTO UPDATE

Thanks Boomer1. That's funny about the oil companies sending you Christmas cards. In all honesty, my daily commute is only 9 miles one-way so the Suburban is manageable.

Well I got the Aliner rolled out today and puttered around with it.

First thing I did was to put on my old Fort spare tire cover. I only put it on for trips to/from the Fort. Otherwise I have a "regular camping trip" cover I use. This Fort cover is an older version and I bought it years ago when I had my former Jayco popup which had 14" tires. The Aliner has 13" tires so the cover is a little oversized but I made it work. I put 4 grommets around the elastic on the backside and used 2 bungees to pull the grommets tight so the cover won't blow off.

Here is the every day cover, a proud swoosh A. My editorial comment is that while I am disappointed in the Sugar Bowl loss, this season was an over-achievement for this team. Given where we were after the spring game, particularly at QB, this season went better than expected. Oh, BTW Scupper, I'll be pulling for Oregon in the 'Ship.

Here is the old cover ready for this trip.

I've got a bunch of Fort stuff in the camper. Koozies, vinyl magnets, pens, playing cards, fridge magnets (2), and one rug.

The Aliner brand of campers (and A-frames in general) are known for their quick and easy set up. In my old Jayco, the physical work included pulling out both bunks and the dinette, cranking up the roof, and then cranking down the 4 stabilizer pads. Now all I do is pop up the roof, flip up the walls, but I still have to crank down 4 stabilizer pads. Now I am getting old and lazy and read over on the popupexplorer forum about a handy gadget that makes cranking down the pads easy. It's a slotted T bit to use in a cordless drill.

So now I have to bend over and squeeze the trigger 4 times - I think I can handle that. :woohoo:

Here is a link for it on Amazon - get the one from Liftco. Sometimes on the internet vendors show a picture with 3 different bits but read the description because some vendors use the same Liftco picture but the description will be for the specific bit they are selling. http://www.amazon.com/Liftco-Slotted-Adapter-Landing-Drive/dp/B000GARPAW

I mentioned one minor modification to do on the Aliner and it was very minor. I put 4 coat hooks around the interior like this one. I can hang anything from them and with the limited storage in an Aliner, using the walls is another way to keep things tidy. I did have to put them in a position that wouldn't interfere with the folding of the walls.

So now all I need is to get my Suburban back from the shop. TRS, hope the work on your Yukon goes as expected.

Tick tock. Waiting till Wednesday morning.

Bama Ed

Hey Ed, that brick wall in the background has got some of the most amazing grey paint I have ever seen. It even colors the grass and leaves that land on it after it is painted.

(This is of course a comment intended as payback for you noticing how fast I was driving when I took the picture of the Fort Wilderness sign. My wife still laughs at me for that...)

The drill attachment is a great idea. I use an impact on my Jayco as well for its stabilizers using a standard 18mm socket. It really saves a hassel.

I agree on the overachieving of Bama this year. I was really expecting a 3 loss season based on what we were seeing early. I wish we would not have lost Drake early in the season, and I am really gonna miss Cooper at WR. My money is on Oregon in this one, those guys are relentless on the offensive attack.

Glad you clarified about the hooks. From the pic, I thought the EXIT sign and the hook somehow went together. I was coming up with some pretty creative exit strategies using that hook... :rotfl2:

j

Hi,I'm joining in to follow along. I did my first Run Disney event with the Tower of Terror 10 miler last year and am hoping to do Wine and Dine this year. I'd love to do January marathon weekend at some point but can only do one per year. Good luck with the race and I'm looking forward to hearing about it :)

WooHoo, a Bama Ed Pre-trip / trip report. popcorn:: Have a safe trip, no pun intended, and good luck on your run. Will be following along from the sidelines (home).

I know Disney has several running events. I'm a cyclist though... My sports med guy said NEVER take up running. Actually his comment was, "How do you run?" He thought I did triathlons. I told him I just cycled and really didn't like running. He said, "good" or else I'd be in to see him every few weeks.

Does Disney ever have cycling events at WDW?

j

Sounds like you are all set. Have a safe drive to the fort, I am sure if you cruise the 300 loop you can spot my Big-A trailer, plus I gave away my site number in the picture. ;)

We are off to dinner, and then DTD. Usually first day here we hit up a park, but it just seemed right to take the day and get fully setup and ready for the stay.

It is so nice of you to put the AUBURN "A" on the unit.

Dude, we've been over this. You're still not doing it right. Good thing is I have time to work with you until Tiggerdad comes to the Fort next time. :laughing:

Hi,I'm joining in to follow along. I did my first Run Disney event with the Tower of Terror 10 miler last year and am hoping to do Wine and Dine this year. I'd love to do January marathon weekend at some point but can only do one per year. Good luck with the race and I'm looking forward to hearing about it :)

Chaitali, thanks for checking in. One of those races, either the ToT or W&D is a nighttime race. Is it ToT? Doesn't it start at like 10pm? I am so hardwired to wake up early to race that I would have a mental block with an after supper race. I do a couple local races here (there's another Half in Feb and one in Mar close to me) so the Disney thing is a rarity for me.

WooHoo, a Bama Ed Pre-trip / trip report. popcorn:: Have a safe trip, no pun intended, and good luck on your run. Will be following along from the sidelines (home).

Thanks Vince. Let me know here on the boards the next time you're headed to the Fort. A year's notice would be nice so that I could think of a reason to be there at the same time and just "bump" into you. :woohoo:

I know Disney has several running events. I'm a cyclist though... My sports med guy said NEVER take up running. Actually his comment was, "How do you run?" He thought I did triathlons. I told him I just cycled and really didn't like running. He said, "good" or else I'd be in to see him every few weeks.

Does Disney ever have cycling events at WDW?

j

Jim, I don't know about cycling. It's so easy to cover so many miles with that mechanical advantage (cheating) ya'll bikers have. :rolleyes1 In the past I know there were races that included a swim in 7 Seas Lagoon before the water temps got too high for the amoeba danger but I haven't heard of those lately. I don't know if those were duathalons or some sort of triathalon. I'm no lightweight which is why I chose to do the run/walk technique. And my rear is not made for a bike saddle.

There is a small triathalon I would like to try here in Alabama in April every year down on the Gulf Coast. The Mullet Man Tri is based out of the Flora-Bama bar on the state line and they do a very short swim, a decent bike ride (one big bridge and the beach wind to deal with), and a short run. I'd like to do it once so that I could say I am truly a Mullet Man (Scupper may turn up his nose at mullet since it's not mahi mahi). They have a Fat Tire division (for bikes), the Clydesdale division (for us runners with big, uh..., shoulders), and a first timer's division. I used to be a lifeguard and did the Mile Swim a couple times in Boy Scouts both as a kid and an adult so with a little training the swim (even in the ocean) doesn't bother me. But I need to use every advantage those 3 offer to make it to the finish line. Maybe someday...

Sounds like you are all set. Have a safe drive to the fort, I am sure if you cruise the 300 loop you can spot my Big-A trailer, plus I gave away my site number in the picture. ;)

We are off to dinner, and then DTD. Usually first day here we hit up a park, but it just seemed right to take the day and get fully setup and ready for the stay.

I'll be by, jbrostek. I like to leave sticky notes on the trailer/rv door if I knock and you're not home. It will happen.

Locally here, my Suburban has been pinky promised for first thing tomorrow morning (24 hours before we leave). I'm nervous but trying to stay positive. I washed several loads of my clothes and piled what I want to take on the trip. I also managed to extend my vacation and plan to do some exploring but I won't be at the Fort those extra days (but I think I'll keep posting here because some might find the exploring part interesting for future travels).

Beef stew and homemade bread I'm making for supper tonight. Trying to bank some goodwill for those left at home during the run weekend while I am gone.

Fingers crossed.

Bama Ed

Actually, both ToT and Wine and Dine are night time races. I wasn't sure how I would feel about it but I ended up loving the experience, hence choosing another night race for this year :) I think that's easier on me then waking up super early!

Jim, I don't know about cycling. It's so easy to cover so many miles with that mechanical advantage (cheating) ya'll bikers have. :rolleyes1
Hey! I resemble that remark. ;) It's something to go out and knock down 50 or 60 miles in an afternoon. I used to do a lot of long distance stuff. 100-200 miles. I've only done a double century once. It was a bear. But I've done many 100 and 150 mile rides. Done many MS 150s and rode the "century" option for at least one of the 2 days. I used to do 300-500 miles/week on "training" rides. Loved it. Then I got old and fat.

There is a small triathalon I would like to try here in Alabama in April every year down on the Gulf Coast. The Mullet Man Tri is based out of the Flora-Bama bar on the state line
I know that bar well. I have considered trying some team triathlons. I'd do the ride and maybe the swim (also did many mile swims in Boy Scouts) but get someone to do the run. Now that I've hung up sports car racing, I've been riding the bike again... Although just on the trainer in my bedroom right now. Cold and cycling is not a good combo. :)

I was hoping Disney had a criterium or even a MS 150. I guess they would have to close too many roads to get the bikes a decent route. Too bad.

j

Locally here, my Suburban has been pinky promised for first thing tomorrow morning (24 hours before we leave). I'm nervous but trying to stay positive. I washed several loads of my clothes and piled what I want to take on the trip. I also managed to extend my vacation and plan to do some exploring but I won't be at the Fort those extra days (but I think I'll keep posting here because some might find the exploring part interesting for future travels).

Beef stew and homemade bread I'm making for supper tonight. Trying to bank some goodwill for those left at home during the run weekend while I am gone.

Fingers crossed.

Bama Ed

Wow, I'm impressed! Doing the laundry? Fixing beef stew and homemade bread?? My dh needs to spend some time in your presence!! ::yes::

Have a great trip and an enjoyable, safe run!! :thumbsup2

Funny you should mention the homemade bread...I just tried a new recipe yesterday in the bread machine. Portugese sweet bread. Got a loaf of wheat bread in the maker now for my grandmother. Blueberry cobbler in exchange for a loaf of homemade bread, figure it's a fair trade.

Looks like you are going to be getting out of Dodge just in time for this really cold weather we got coming (by Southern standards anyway). NOAA showing 17 degrees for Wednesday night, gonna be a cold start to a trip.

Funny you should mention the homemade bread . . .

1) Speaking of bread, we do a no-bake rye in the Slow Cooker.
2) Easy, very little work, just leave it in the Slow Cooker.
3) Can do it at almost any capsite or RV.

Slow Cooker Rye Bread Recipe
Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup warm water
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
• 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose organic einkorn flour, plus more for dusting
• 3/4 cup rye flour

Instructions:
1. In large bowl, whisk together water, honey and yeast; let stand until foamy, 10 minutes.
2. Stir in salt, seeds, oil and flours. Form into ball and turn out on lightly floured board. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes, or until smooth, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
3. Place dough ball in lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 hour.
4. Turn out dough and knead for 1 to 2 additional minutes, forming ball. Place dough on sheet of parchment paper and place in 4-quart slow cooker.
5. Cook on high for 2 to 2-1⁄2 hours. Lift bread out and cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.

I know that bar well.

I know it too but DW is monitoring this thread so what I meant to say was I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENT. :rolleyes1

I have considered trying some team triathlons. I'd do the ride and maybe the swim (also did many mile swims in Boy Scouts) but get someone to do the run.

We can fight for the swim and I'll do the run. You do the bike and we can be Mullet Men. :cool1:

Wow, I'm impressed! Doing the laundry? Fixing beef stew and homemade bread?? My dh needs to spend some time in your presence!!

NoM, are you serious? We have a fair division of labor in our house. I like to cook and DW likes to wash dishes. Seriously. We both can cross over to the other if pressed.

And hey, your DH/Robert already has some serious swag (he oozed it when I met you both on the 2013 trip). Ask him to throw me a crumb. :worship:

Looks like you are going to be getting out of Dodge just in time for this really cold weather we got coming (by Southern standards anyway). NOAA showing 17 degrees for Wednesday night, gonna be a cold start to a trip.

Tiggerdad, it'll be pretty cold tonight. I might miss the wave over the top but I will feel it cresting. And a man who's trailer requirements included an outdoor kitchen like yourself, I'm not surprised you're a cook.

1) Speaking of bread, we do a no-bake rye in the Slow Cooker.
2) Easy, very little work, just leave it in the Slow Cooker.
3) Can do it at almost any capsite or RV.

Slow Cooker Rye Bread Recipe
Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup warm water
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
• 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose organic einkorn flour

Interesting start, but stopped reading right there....

Well, got the car today and it looks great but there is one little lagging thing I will take it back for after I get back home next week. At this point I am ready to hit the road, head for the sunshine, feel the sun on my face. :beach:

Also debating whether to head for the Trails End buffet for Sunday breakfast the day after the race. Not a fan of buffets in the first place but the day after my long training runs I'm usually still ravenous and it would be a nice check-out day farewell event.

Bring on the non-organic greasy breakfast food and Mickey Waffles! :cheer2::cool1:party:

Bama Ed

We can fight for the swim and I'll do the run. You do the bike and we can be Mullet Men. :cool1:
We may be onto something. Based on your description of your cycling physique and my ridiculous, don't ever take up running, bowed legs. Sounds like a winning team.

Have a good trip down and a great run. Wish I was joining you. It's going below zero tomorrow night.

j

Hey Ed, Hope you have a safe and fun trip. I find it weird that any human would enjoy running. Heck I don't even run from fire :firefight. But I will say I hope your run is injury free. If you come thru Mobile wave as you go by. And for God's sake please straighten that tire cover. That picture is triggering my OCD :crazy2:

I love bf buffet but seriously after all that running Monday morning is put on the feed bag. Usually Sunday I still feel off but Monday all I want to do is eat. Looking forward to TE. Ed you should do it and enjoy.

Safe travels tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter