• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bar Harbor/Acadia with RV (Total Newbie) questions

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
Well our summer Disney cruise just bit the dust. We are trying to think of other options. We don't want to rule out going away but we also want to try to be as safe as possible...kind of measured risk. We thought about renting an RV and heading West. We figure our safest options are to go to National Parks (all outdoor activities). An RV allows us to prepare our meals and stay in one sleeping space that I can make sure is clean (again....less risk all around). The thing is...we have never done an RV trip before. Heck, we haven't really done a camp-type trip before....but we are very good about new experiences. So we thought, with no experience, maybe Maine would be better (we are only 700 miles from Acadia/Bar Harbor as opposed to driving a couple thousand miles to go West). It would be a smaller leap to try this type of travelling. I will say...while we camp, haven't camped we have taken huge family road trips. We drove cross country and back with our 5 kids (driving over 7200 miles total). This time we will only have our youngest 2 kids with us (both 13 yrs old).

So...as a complete Newbie to both RV traveling and Bar Harbor/Acadia...HELP!

1) Where is a good place to stay? Or maybe a few good options... Since we are new to this, I''d say someplace that has hook up and options to help us with the RV basics.

2) What is up and going in Maine? We are good with sticking with nature...beach, walks, a fire pit, our own cooking, maybe fishing, etc. My husband has some knee issues, so we do need to do smaller/easier hikes. Truthfully...simple down time with nature is fine for this trip. Normally we are adventuresome, but I know a lot of things won't be going and honestly I will just be thrilled for the change of scenery.

One other thought....we could drive there and then rent the RV or even drive and rent a cabin if those are better options (would want a kitchen though). I just like the idea of driving the RV there for a different experience and because it gives me a lot of control over cleanliness and other risks during this time.

I'll take any tips or recommendations/suggestions or even warnings.

Thanks...
Jess

I'll take any tips or recommendations/suggestions or even warnings.

My one tip is to check and see if they will let you drive into Maine without a quarantine. I read an article recently, but didn't note the date it was written, that said all arrivals must quarantine for 14 days. Usually these articles are written with air travel in mind.

We are starting to look into getting our RV on the road and this article mentioned MA and CT with the same restrictions, so I'm thinking we will have to head in another direction, if that is the case.

I just wanted to give you a heads up to get some clarification no matter where you decide to go.

My one tip is to check and see if they will let you drive into Maine without a quarantine. I read an article recently, but didn't note the date it was written, that said all arrivals must quarantine for 14 days. Usually these articles are written with air travel in mind.

We are starting to look into getting our RV on the road and this article mentioned MA and CT with the same restrictions, so I'm thinking we will have to head in another direction, if that is the case.

I just wanted to give you a heads up to get some clarification no matter where you decide to go.

Yeah...I see that now. Well...we are still talking over 2 months from now. I could also look into getting tested. If we could get tested within 72 hours before going (and are negative, of course), we would be exempt from the quarantine requirement. The numbers in our area have been good and getting even better. The problem is, even though we are 7 hours away from NYC (a place where numbers are also moving strongly in the right direction, but was a big hot spot for a while), we are NY.

Yeah...I see that now. Well...we are still talking over 2 months from now. I could also look into getting tested. If we could get tested within 72 hours before going (and are negative, of course), we would be exempt from the quarantine requirement. The numbers in our area have been good and getting even better. The problem is, even though we are 7 hours away from NYC (a place where numbers are also moving strongly in the right direction, but was a big hot spot for a while), we are NY.

Things could definitely look different in 2 months. I would just make sure and have a Plan B or even, Plan C.

If you've never rented an RV, familiarize yourself with the procedures. It's a little more complicated than some people expect and I've seen problems with hook ups and parking, even with veteran RVers.

I was wanting to drive into Canada and last week they renewed their border crossing order until the end of July, so now I'm rethinking where we will go.

I will say that you should research the campground where you will be staying and what amenities are available and how easily they are accessed. Google maps can help. We have stayed in beach side campgrounds, but in reality the route to access the beach is difficult without a car. In that case, driving a car to your location and renting the camper may be a better decision. We have also driven our RV to locations and then rented a car at the most advantageous spot.

Sorry, I can't help you with sites or campgrounds in the Northeast, but I have driven out west a few times. Our daughter lived out there, so we mainly were just driving through states till we arrived in her town. You didn't say how long your vacation is, but going out west might take more time driving than you want to spend for the first time in an RV.

Good luck and stay safe, whatever you decide. I'll be glad to help with anything I can. RVing is one of my most favorite ways to travel. We've owned one for 20 years and it all began with a one week rental, so be careful! :laughing:

You can get lots of help and advice from the friendly RVers that hang out on the Camping at WDW forum here on the DIS.

I second this.

When I go camping, I'm in a tent. I did the RV thing as a kid with my parents. They didn't like the idea of sleeping in a tent.

You have a steep learning curve. Things will go wrong. Be prepared.

We had a 24 Class C and drove all over the country - well to be honest, DH drove all but 1 mile. He wanted to make sure I could get the darn thing off the NJ Turnpike if he had a heart attack...he would have if I was driving! He doesn't remember hardly anything even though we drove about 16,000 miles but I have fond memories from the navigator's seat.

We had a deluge in VT one night where they were airlifting people out of the valley's and I talked him into pulling off the road as the gravel washed away under the tires, Jersey barriers 6" from each side of the RV in NY, a tornado hit about 3 miles away in Wisconsin as we watched trees spin through the skylight, we were nearly gored by a bison in Yellowstone who charged at us as the lady from MD in the BMW stopped in front of us to watch them watch us, DH (who drives like an old lady) got a speeding ticket at a set up in New Mexico and a gully washer and red mud in Santa Fe...stuff happens and we (and the RV) made it back. Fun was had by all!

All that being said the west has bigger open roads, easier gas stations to get in/out of and you can go faster on the highways for the most part. I planned the entire itinerary with paper maps and a AAA book and campground book (pre-GPS). Getting lost can be frustrating, scary and at 10 MPG, expensive. The western national parks like Yellowstone and Grand Canyon are unbelievable. Monument Valley is a can't miss. I'd go west as opposed to east if you are hell bent on renting an RV.

I-95 is not a great road and often has tons of traffic including 18 wheelers. It is about a 4 hour drive from the NH line to Bar Harbor. Bar Harbor is a small, hilly town with tiny one way roads and a scary place for the most seasoned RV driver. Acadia is a tough place in an RV. The roads are narrow in the park loop road and it is often a traffic jam and it is hard to pull off the road. People will tailgate you so you can't see their headlights. You are stuck at a campground without a store or restaurant or much to do as you don't want to "unhook" to go to the store. I'd rather rent a cabin in Ellsworth (not far away) and drive around Acadia. You will have a much more relaxed trip, can stop wherever and whenever you want!

Being a boy scout in a prior life will certainly help if you do choose the RV. Bring duct tape and a tool box and a sense of humor and you'll be fine :drive:

Please make sure to follow any quarantine or testing requirements set by the state. Bar Harbor is in a county with minimal icu beds and the county to the north has no icu beds. My family in the county to the north is very concerned about tourists not following quarantine and bringing the virus to a very vulnerable area. We aren’t even going to utilize our lake out near there this year out of caution.

I've heard that RV sales have skyrocketed. They are calling them Covid Campers!

IF I was planning a trip, I would make sure I have campsite reservations before doing any other planning. I know campgrounds around here have been packed, and it isn't a particularly scenic place here or an area of interest, like a national park.
It's been many years since I've been to Acadia, but as I remember it, I don't think I would want to drive a RV in the area, as MICKIMINI mentioned.

I would check to see how many "free" miles you'll get with your RV rental.

Personally I would skip Acadia and head further north along the coast ... same basic rocky coastline without the crowds. And Acadia is one of the most heavily visited NPs during "normal" times.

Check VRBO, AirBnB, and Hearts of Maine for rentals.

I would rent an rv and tow my vehicle behind- that way you don't have drive the RV into town. Bar Harbor Campground has million dollar views and was always our favorite. Who knows what the restrictions will be in 2 months, but if it's a doable trip considering restrictions and time/finances do it! MDI is one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Oh, Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center is only about an hour away in case you need major medical help.

We took a road trip to Maine from Ohio in 2014. Our first stop was Along the southern coast in Ogunquit. Loved it! Such a nice little town. We stayed in a hotel along the famous walkway that goes along the coast to a little cove with lots of locally owned restaurants and shops. We could also walk into town the other direction which was more commercial but by no means busy. Next we traveled further north along the coast and stayed in Boothbay Harbor. Another beautiful little town. We stayed in a hotel right off the harbor and watched the boats. Went whale watching. Lots of great restaurants and shops. Our last stop was again further north to Bar Harbor. I could have done without going here at all. It was so busy the town was just ridiculous. We had to park almost a mile outside of town and walk in. We did the driving tour of Acadia and even that was busy. Many of the areas that you could pull off and park were jammed full. You couldn’t even find a place to park. I would love to go to Maine again some day and visit Ogunquit and Boothbay Harbor again but I wouldn’t bother with Bar Harbor. Once was enough for us.

There are places you can rent from that will deliver it to you, or deliver and set it up if you are just looking to keep it on a site throughout your trip.
Check Outdoorsy, RVShare and even just google local RV rentals for that area.

Last edited:
Let's see... I don't know anything about RV rentals, stays, etc., but people say good things about the KOA campground at the head of the island (in Trenton, maybe?), as well as Narrows Too (also Trenton) and Hadley's Point campground.

I'd look for a smallish RV if I were renting one, or tow a car behind for driving around. It'll be tough driving an RV in and out of Bar Harbor (or Ogunquit) but it can be done- people do it all the time. The Park Loop Road in Acadia is actually pretty decent for driving an RV, as it's a two-lane, one-way road. Don't try to drive it up Cadillac Mountain, though... I mean, you could, I think there's RV parking up there, but I wouldn't risk burning out a rental's transmission.

We went walking along the carriage trails out behind Jordan Pond House in Acadia yesterday. There are many of these, wide, cinder-surfaced trails for walking/gentle hiking though the forests and along the mountainside. There are also carriage rides on the trails (Wildwood Stables, I think). If you do go to Acadia, make sure to drive the park loop road when it's about half-way between high and low tide, so you can hear Thunder Hole boom. It was a bit of a bust yesterday, as we were there at high tide. We did see otters at Otter Cliffs, though! There are also many far-more strenuous hiking trails through the park, and rock climbing groups. PROVIDED THE COVID 19 SITUATION SETTLES DOWN, you can whale and puffin watch, take a schooner sail, haul lobster traps, go to a winery, go to a couple of breweries, crawl through town shops (about half are open) and restaurants, etc. I will tell you... it's very, very quiet in BH right now. It should be booming, but at 7pm on a Friday night in June, I had my choice of parking spots. Many of the restaurants are open, doing indoor and outdoor dining, but there are limited numbers of tables available (6foot + distancing). I don't think there're any outdoor concerts or plays scheduled for this summer.

Getting here is pretty much a straight shot up route 95 until you hit Bangor, but going east on Rt 1A and Rt 3 can be a bear. Lots of hills, and normally lots of traffic, although this summer is going to be different, I think. You'll run into construction on Rt 95 in York and around Augusta, as they are putting new automated tolls in both locations, and there is almost always construction around Waterville. One great benefit of the pandemic is the reduced traffic, and the state putting the money into road repairs. I recommend you watch the State website carefully regarding Covid-19; our governor is very cautious about allowing the virus to spread in our state and won't hesitate to "go backwards" on reopening if need be.

I live in Maine. Our current quarantine rules are: "Effective June 26, people who are not Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont residents and are visiting Maine lodging will be asked to sign a Certificate of Compliance indicating either that they have received a negative COVID-19 test result, that they will quarantine in Maine for 14 days, or that they have already completed their quarantine in Maine. This compliance form must be provided to check-in at all Maine lodging, campgrounds, seasonal rentals, overnight camps, and other commercial lodging, such as Airbnb. Visitors may be asked to furnish proof of the negative test result upon request."
(You can find more comprehensive information here - https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restartingmaine/keepmainehealthy)

For the most part, our stores, restaurants, etc. are open with some restrictions on how many people can be inside commercial properties at one time. People are supposed to be wearing makes when shopping or in areas where social distancing is not possible, but there are unfortunately a lot of folks who are still choosing not to. Some businesses are more strict than others about enforcing, but as other posters have mentioned, we are a very rural state with limited hospital resources, so it behooves everyone to be thoughtful/responsible and wear masks in public areas.

If you are interested in driving up the coast to check out spots along the way, some of our family favorites are the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (https://www.mainegardens.org/), Fort Popham and Popham Beach State Park (https://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/doc/parksearch/details.pl?park_id=40), Reid State Park (https://visitmaine.com/things-to-do/parks-natural-attractions/reid-state-park), Penobscot Narrows Observatory Bridge and Castine village in general (https://www.visitmaine.net/page/114/castine-maine), and of course the flagship LL Bean store in Freeport. Lobster prices area also super low right now, so be sure to enjoy the seafood while you are here, and safe travels!

We are thinking of traveling to Maine this summer too. I was looking to stay in Ogunquit and do day trips from there. We would get our covid tests so we have proof we are not infected. I think the testing requirement only applies to 18 and up.

I live in Maine. Our current quarantine rules are: "Effective June 26, people who are not Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont residents and are visiting Maine lodging will be asked to sign a Certificate of Compliance indicating either that they have received a negative COVID-19 test result, that they will quarantine in Maine for 14 days, or that they have already completed their quarantine in Maine. This compliance form must be provided to check-in at all Maine lodging, campgrounds, seasonal rentals, overnight camps, and other commercial lodging, such as Airbnb. Visitors may be asked to furnish proof of the negative test result upon request."
(You can find more comprehensive information here - https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restartingmaine/keepmainehealthy)

For the most part, our stores, restaurants, etc. are open with some restrictions on how many people can be inside commercial properties at one time. People are supposed to be wearing makes when shopping or in areas where social distancing is not possible, but there are unfortunately a lot of folks who are still choosing not to. Some businesses are more strict than others about enforcing, but as other posters have mentioned, we are a very rural state with limited hospital resources, so it behooves everyone to be thoughtful/responsible and wear masks in public areas.

If you are interested in driving up the coast to check out spots along the way, some of our family favorites are the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (https://www.mainegardens.org/), Fort Popham and Popham Beach State Park (https://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/doc/parksearch/details.pl?park_id=40), Reid State Park (https://visitmaine.com/things-to-do/parks-natural-attractions/reid-state-park), Penobscot Narrows Observatory Bridge and Castine village in general (https://www.visitmaine.net/page/114/castine-maine), and of course the flagship LL Bean store in Freeport. Lobster prices area also super low right now, so be sure to enjoy the seafood while you are here, and safe travels!

Thank you for the information...

We definitely wouldn’t break the rules to go. We probably won’t go at all just to be safe. We wouldn’t go unless the quarantine was lifted or we could get tested.

Our area is doing very well. We have played it safe as a family. As it is, we are now requiring people from 8 states to quarantine if they come here (or return here).

We went to Maine yesterday to the beach.
There were electronic signs on the highway about the 14 day quarantine but the majority of the cars were from Mass!
Guessing there is not much enforcement of the quarantine.

We are also thinking of visiting Arcadia this summer as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter