Bathrooms @POP

firemanx

DIS Veteran
Do they offer handicap accessible rooms? Basicly a bathtub is really hard for me to get in/out of. I nned a shower is this possible @pop?

Do they offer handicap accessible rooms? Basicly a bathtub is really hard for me to get in/out of. I nned a shower is this possible @pop?
Yes it is! We just came back from a trip to Pop and our room #4160 (a standard room) had a walk in shower. When we arrived at the resort I explained my needs to the front desk and this is the room I got. There are also a limited number of handicap accessible rooms but there aren't that many of them.

They have a couple different type of accessible rooms, one with a bathtub with grab bars and one with a roll in shower. Both type have grab bars around the toilet, a higher toilet seat, and a lower bed. I would talk to a reservations castmember about what you need and have it noted on your room reservation that you need an accessible shower room.

Just for your information, handicap accessible rooms beds are 18" off the floor. A regular room beds are 22" from the floor. If you have bad knees, might be something to consider. A handicap room is to accommodate wheelchair users.

stroke survivor left side paralysis so limping into shower is easier than slipping around a tub.

Several “regular” (non-accessible) rooms at POP now have a walk-in shower since the renovation. Unfortunately I don’t think there is a way to guarantee a shower vs tub. You can request the shower, and some folks think there may be more rooms with showers than tubs, so you may have a good chance of being assigned a shower room.

The only way to guarantee a shower is to book a “wheelchair accessible room with roll-in shower.” As PP mentions this will be fully wheelchair accessible with a lower bed, handrails in the bathroom, and a single non-split bathroom. If you need the shower you should book an accessible room.

Just for your information, handicap accessible rooms beds are 18" off the floor. A regular room beds are 22" from the floor. If you have bad knees, might be something to consider. A handicap room is to accommodate wheelchair users.

I'm at Pop Century right now in a roll-in shower room. My bed is about 21 1/2" from the floor. I went past a regular room with the door open and noticed the bed. It was WAY higher. It had to be 30"-34" high. It looked like there was enough space under the bed to store luggage.

WCDay06F.JPG

I'm at Pop Century right now in a roll-in shower room. My bed is about 21 1/2" from the floor. I went past a regular room with the door open and noticed the bed. It was WAY higher. It had to be 30"-34" high. It looked like there was enough space under the bed to store luggage.

Yes - post-renovation most (? all?) of the non-accessible rooms have beds tall enough to store luggage under, plus the really thick mattress on top. I know on our last trip it felt like the top of my bed was right at my hip, and I'm a 29" inseam.

Yes - post-renovation most (? all?) of the non-accessible rooms have beds tall enough to store luggage under, plus the really thick mattress on top. I know on our last trip it felt like the top of my bed was right at my hip, and I'm a 29" inseam.

This seems to be a trend in the hospitality industry as a whole, especially at/below a certain price point. On our last trip, we encountered a bed so high (at a hotel we stayed at on the drive down) that I could not climb up into it. I wish now I had measured - I am a tall person (currently 5'9", although I may still be shrinking LOL) and the top of the mattress landed squarely between my hip and my waist.

The hotel offered to bring a step stool, but given my issues with steps, I declined that solution. They finally sent someone around to "fix" the situation by delivering a box spring, and moving the mattress from the higher platform to the box spring.

The next morning, I had a tiny "come to J3sus" with the GM, and let her know that her HA room was *way* out of compliance when it came to the bed, and a few other select issues. She actually emailed me about 2 weeks later to invite me to return in the future and try out the "newly accommodating" room! Haven't been back yet; COVID happened right after that, so hopefully they have kept the room in a more welcoming configuration for those of us on wheels!

In terms of the bed height, it is apparently adjustable somewhat, as we found out at our last stay at the Grand Floridian. The bed was SO high that my wife was not able to transfer, on the way to dinner we mentioned something at the desk and when we came back the bed was a solid 10" lower.

In terms of the bed height, it is apparently adjustable somewhat, as we found out at our last stay at the Grand Floridian. The bed was SO high that my wife was not able to transfer, on the way to dinner we mentioned something at the desk and when we came back the bed was a solid 10" lower.
Hmm, that is good to know for our trip next month at OKW.

Is is possible they replaced the bed frame with one of the lower bed frames used in the roll-in shower rooms? Here at Pop Century the bed frame is solid wood and not adjustable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter