BCV or BWV for older mom ?

kshark1958

Mouseketeer
Going to WDW second week in Sept. 2014. we've stayed at SSR, BLT, AKV in the past but want to always try somewhere different. Hoping to get a two BR at either BWV or BCV. My mom who is going to be 77 at time of trip has some walking issues. Not enough for a wheelchair but still the less walking the better. Yea I know WDW is all walking. So for someone her age what is more convenient as far as walking to bus stops or other transportation and to surrounding shops, restaurants etc. Some of the resorts its a long walk just to the lobby. Also what are views like at BCV and the standard view at BWV. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

what is her favorite park?

would probably go with BCV - you have to walk to Epcot - but you can take the boat to Studios (the boat at Epcot is a little closer to the BCV than the one at the marina at YC)

now love standard view at BWV - but it can be difficult with a person who has walking problems. Unless you are on the first floor.

the only elevators are near the lobby - which the standard view can be near the elevators - but for me the best views are about as far from the elevators as you can get.

I'd go with BCV as it's a smaller resort. The hallways alone, over at BWV, would be lots of walking. And maybe request to be near the lobby (and tell them why...I did that when we brought MIL and FIL...OKW and AKV). BCV is quieter as well. There is Cape May for meals as well as Beaches and Cream...the pool has a neat counter/bar and there's a lounge near Cape May...the store also has a nice little counter for sandwiches and stuff. Yacht Club, next door, has Captains Grill and the Yachtsman Steakhouse...over at the Boardwalk there is stuff too and not too far from BCV. Plus there is a boat that goes from Epcot to BC and BW and Swan and HS...not sure the order but you could get off at BW when coming back from HS or Epcot to do a meal. Busing is right out in front of BC and not far from BCV. The buses can take a while to get to/from MK, AK and DD (and try not to get on at park closing as you may have to stand...we did at park closing for MK one night and that bus makes a few stops before getting to BC...BWV has the same).

The best standard views at BWV would be further from the elevator and require more walking. There are standard view rooms close to the elevators but you run the risk of getting a room that is noisy from the DME luggage loading. None of the BCV rooms has a particularly terrific view, IMHO. What size room are you booking?
The boat to Epcot and DHS would actually be closer from BWV than from BCV. The bus stop from standard view rooms at BWV would be at least as close as the BCV buses if you had a room close to the elevators or if you were willing to use the stairs. Really it is pretty much a toss-up. Stormalong Bay pool at BC is a big draw but it is a pretty busy pool and that may or may not be something that appeals to a 77 year old mom.

BWV is a MUCH easier resort to get around if you don't mind a flight or two of stairs. The resort itself is basically a huge walkout - the first floor on the back of the resort (the Boardwalk and the pools) is actually the second floor of the resort (the bus stop and the lobby). With a single set of elevators near the lobby, you need to take stairs or it just isn't convenient.

We stayed in BWV right after a knee injure, a week before surgery. If I hadn't had a scooter I never would have made it. I was trying to walk at the smaller parks, but our room was on of the farthest away from the lobby. I was in bad shape before I got out of the building.
BCV is much smaller and so close to EPCOT.

B/c she has walking issues I would suggest BC- a main complaint of the BWV is the long hallways. You can ask for a room by the elevators at BWV but I am not sure the view is as nice. BC can be a bit noisy though.

That being said I really enjoyed our view of the riverway at BWV this last Sept. My kids loved watching the boats go by. Very relaxing

B BC can be a bit noisy though.

One reason we always request "woods view" at BCV is that we get the right -hand "jog" about 1/2 way down the hall. DH is a very light sleeper and even he says how quiet it is there. BTW, I also have walking issues, and BCV is ideal.

I've actually had many more better placed rooms at BWV than we had at BCV in terms of distance from the lobby, bus stops, and pools. I really thought our room was far from EVERYTHING. But I'd still pick the BCV due to the stairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter