• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach Club: club level

saavyplanner

Earning My Ears
[Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place (and/or have some incorrect "lingo" here) but I am still a WDW novice and new-ish to the board and I couldn't see how to post on resort specific thread]

We will be doing our 2nd stay/visit (as the adults/parents) to Disney in December. We were there Oct '16 but had to leave a few days early due to Hurricane Matthew. We loved it and are probably returning a little earlier than planned as a result. Epcot got shortchanged so that (and MK) are our priorities. Our kids are 5 & 7.

For now, I've booked Beach Club CL Garden level but am wondering if we need the CL (it was about $150 more per night)...I'd be open to Yacht Club but prices are about the same.

For the 1st visit, we did Poly CL and loved it....and I *think* it was worth it (though I didn't have the comparison of not doing the CL though it was great just grabbing breakfast, having snacks/light food and a common area....We also save a small amount b/c on at least one occasion we ended up doing very small and inexpensive meals vs. full dinners. It was also incredible seeing fireworks and illuminations from the lounge while kids were ready for bed or even sleeping (we'd take turns seeing the view).

For this visit, we are on the fence about the CL. After making the reservation, I know that we wouldn't have the same evening advantage (the rep told me that at Epcot the fireworks are lower) so want to think through if the meals/snacks justify the cost (normally neither of us not big drinkers, generally glass of wine at dinner out etc. At the hotel we might just have a glass of wine before dinner, . In a club level, maybe one at other times "just because it's there")

...so a few questions:

1) if we didn't do CL how busy is the quick service at the hotel for breakfast....what are your other options for the simple continental type of meal? I know you can stock your room with yogurt/cereal and we wouldn't be opposed to that

2) does CL give you a better BC location (compared to other rooms)

3) we reserved a garden view--However, I noticed you could **still** end up with a parking lot view...if so how bad are these? I'd be pretty upset with this (paying extra for the garden vs. just booking standard). I wouldn't want to pay the extra to book pool/water at the CL. If we didn't do the CL I'd pay for pool view.

4) Any other factors that might tip the balance to do CL or not

5) Other: Waterparks: is it "worth it" to do the add-on---or do you think Stormalong Bay is "good enough" (so far our kids only experience is the Poly pool and Great Wolf Lodge--our 5 yo was scared to try some of their bigger features)

Thanks!!

We stayed at the Beach Club CL last summer and loved it. We went with a big group and had to do some last minute changes to some adr reservations a few times, and they were always helpful with that. They had a happy hour with snacks and breakfast for when we wanted to skip going to Cape May Cafe. We didn't have a view with our room. But honestly it didn't even effect our visit. I felt like we were never in the room besides when we were getting ready for bed and to sleep. Stormalong Bay was an awesome pool for it being at a hotel. It's such a large pool that it never felt crowded. It has a sand bar, very small lazy river, large slide with pirate ship, and smaller slide for little guys. We didn't do any waterparks. Hope that helps!

We stayed at the Beach Club CL last summer and loved it. We went with a big group and had to do some last minute changes to some adr reservations a few times, and they were always helpful with that. They had a happy hour with snacks and breakfast for when we wanted to skip going to Cape May Cafe. We didn't have a view with our room. But honestly it didn't even effect our visit. I felt like we were never in the room besides when we were getting ready for bed and to sleep. Stormalong Bay was an awesome pool for it being at a hotel. It's such a large pool that it never felt crowded. It has a sand bar, very small lazy river, large slide with pirate ship, and smaller slide for little guys. We didn't do any waterparks. Hope that helps!

Thanks! all helpful, I kind of forgot that the concierge was helpful....also, good to know about the room--in my case less about wanting something "great" and more about avoiding something awful

We do spend a lot of time popping in and out of the lounge. Breakfast easy as we get ready, then as we come and go the rest of the day. If we're around for evening apps or treats. Pool time, in for snacks and beers in to go cups.

I've been at the BC market place at breakfast time. There are people there for sure but it wasn't 10 people deep busy. BC doesn't have a lot of nearby seating IIRC. YC has a new market or something, with seating.

Alternative for breakfast is Boardwalk Bakery. Send an early riser.

I don't think CL gives you a better location. The halls aren't as crazy long though like the other floors. Views, some standard views are bad. I wouldn't think garden would be. I don't think there's much of a difference with standard rates. You'd get a better view with garden.

BC CL is not like Poly CL. There's no view and it's not easy to get to/from the pool like it is at Poly.

As far as water parks, totally different. Water parks have a lot of walking and then the ride. We've had blasts at the water park where we stay much longer than we intend. It's not a casual pool day. It's a work out. At 5 my kids would have been content with SAB. The sand bottom area is awesome.

Someone else may chime in, but from what I recall, almost all of the Yacht Club CL rooms have full balconies, but I don't think the same can be said for the Beach Club CL rooms. We have stayed YC CL twice, but it's been a few years. I remember specifically picking YC over BC because of the balcony situation since that was important to us.

I have a lot more experience at the MK resort CLs but did stay BC CL one night last year (tacked on a extra night to a Poly CL trip).

BC CL is going to be a similar but different experience than your Poly CL experience. Poly CL is unique given its location/view. No other CL, with the exception of CR CL, can match that view. The BC CL lounge does not have a view of anything notable. It's just a 'space.'

However I found the food/beverage offerings at BC to be EXCELLENT, among the best (if not THE best) I've experienced in my CL travels lately. Offerings change over time but at the time they had quite a bit more variety/better quality offerings than Poly CL, particularly evening apps. I was very impressed.

All regular BC CL rooms are on the 5th floor. @CT Disney is right about the balconies, BC rooms have a pretty wide variety of balcony types/sizes. Look into this more on the BC/YC thread if very important to you.

Speaking of which, I'd ask about the views over on that thread. The folks that frequent that thread really know their stuff big time and can lead you in the right direction.

Ultimately we book CL for the "convenience factor" - especially with the kiddos. Like you experienced last year, the ability to grab a quick breakfast, a quick snack, a glass of wine,etc.... these are all nice little creature comforts which enhance a stay for the adults. Are they a must have? No, of course not. But it works for us! :-)

As soon as we can break our MK/monorail resort addiction, I have my eyes set on BC CL someday soon.

Just one person's perspective, but hope that helps.

Just a quick 2 cents as we stayed GV( not club) at YC.

If you decide NOT to do the Club Level:

Marketplace QS is Very limited. However, for quick breakfast muffins, whatnot, may be ok. At lunch, Hurricane Hannahs opens up with a few more options. However, as someone said -- send someone to the Boardwalk Bakery. Also, Dolphin is almost just as close, with great quick serve options at the Picabu. If its after illuminations, youre QS options are slim at BC, since Marketplace is limited. but, we found boardwalk bakery to still be open.
Also, the Compass and Ale in the YC has some pastry type stuff earlier than marketplace if you are an early riser like me.
Also, consider picking something up the night before at wherever.

Oh yeah, we had a GV room but saw the garbage men doing there job to the left. But, to the right if I looked down, was a garden. It didn't really bother me, as it was just a balcony facing the back and definetly No view. I just read the paper back there that I grabbed when I went down to C&A for coffee while the others slept. So, yeah, GV could mean crappy view if that is important to you, maybe upgrade is good.

Thanks all! This was great feedback; I think we decided to go for the BC CL--and when I looked the pool view was only nominally more than standard or garden! Very excited---now time to plan all the other stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter