Beating A Dead Horse?

PamOKW

<font color=green>The two most important items for
I probably should wait and see the whole point chart before raising this issue, but here goes. I am trying to figure out why there might be a need for a dramatic increase in WDW resort points. For 10 years the trade of roughly a two-bedroom (OKW and BWV both come very close to this) would get you a ROH room at the GF. I would think demand for rooms at any of these resorts (and now VWL) would be roughly equal with similar discounts offered when times get rough like now. Pretty much apples to apples. When you look at rack rate comparisons GF is cheaper than DVC so there should be cash to cover the room, even at a discount.

OKW BWV Lagoon at GF
Value $469 $535 $390
Regular $545 $690 $440
Peak $660 $870 $515
Holiday $755 $990 $575

The rate increases from 2001 to 2002 are roughly the same as well. GF Lagoon rooms went up 2-4% depending on season. All OKW villas also went up 2-4% with the exception of GVs that went up 6-9% and the Holiday 2 bedroom which increased 6%. Everything at BWV went up 2-4% with the exception of the Holiday studio that went up 5%.

What would cause the need for an additional amount of points? I suggested that demand for OKW and BWV rooms through CRO may have dropped off because people are booking directly through members instead. Most people seem to think this isn't the case. What other factors? Maybe that points that release rooms at Vero and HHI don't bring in enough $$$ and thus all points must be raised? Any other ideas? Or maybe, DVC must pay the full or close to the full rack rate while having to discount the DVC rooms that they rent? Just wondering why there's such a change to the system.

I'm not raising this as a negative....just a question to consider.

(Sorry that the chart doesn't come out as typed.)

I think you've answered your own question already!!

Using that same logic...why would other dates go down in point cost?

I suspect that the answer to both questions lies somewhere in the ability of DVC to rent the points (even with the discount) and the desire of GF (and other non-DVC resorts) to provide an incentive to use points during other seasons. JMHO.

I guess we'll probably never now exactly what is going on because we'll never have all the pieces. It'll be interesting to see the total charts....maybe the minuses will outweight the pluses! Best case, would be that the total number of points stayed the same (like DVC) but were re-distributed. Of course, I would expect to pay more points for Concierge and a minimal increase for the preferred view rooms.

There are so many threads going on about this and I just got in on it. The things I miss when I am gone for awhile!

Here is my .02 cents. Our economy is going downhill. In some cases it really is. Certain businesses are hurting, etc. In some cases, it isn't. It is all just media hype which sends consumers into a panic.

How does that play into Disney and DVC, you ask?! Well, is it possible that some of these "new" things taking place at Disney are temporary until the economy gets better? It is a fact that Disney's bottom line is down and they are going to make up that money anyway possible (Unless that means cutting into Eisner's paycheck! LOL) They can raise points for the DC for 2002 and lower them in 2003. It is possible. They can make us pay for valet now and change that in a month, 6 months, year, etc. The hours, staff, etc have been cut because times are slow and are projected to be slow in the near future. They need to plan for that.

Ford Motor Company is going to lay off at least 5000 white collar workers soon. That is almost unheard of in Detroit! However, they are planning for a bleak future and it is what they feel they need to do. Again, an easy solution would be to cut the exec's paychecks but that isn't going to happen. They layoff people and if things get better, they call them back. It isn't pretty but it is reality.

I am still very pleased with our decision to buy into DVC. I am not happy with the changes Disney is making but I do believe things will get better when the economy perks up. JMO

Think positive!!

Lisa

Lisa I agree the whole schedule needs to be known before we can make an accurate accessment of the situation. I tend to think the price rises won't be matched by decreases of the same magnitude UNLESS Disney knows we are aware of how much the increases were and that we're not impressed with them.

I'm not sure that lower rentals from HH and Vero would make a difference as I would have thought Disney could use points from those two resorts at WDW, if that was a major financial issue. Anyone know if Disney are tied into using points that are switched into the system at the "home resorts" of those points. I can't see Disney commiting themselves to that situation, as they wrote the rules?

O.K. so, I've been gone a little while. I am not sure what is happening but I take it there is point increases in the Disney Collection. Am I correct in assuming this? Oh, well, since my youngest is now 3 and we are a family of 5, it is only DVC properties for us!!!

Ok I am confused, Pam OKW! I understand that DVC can reallocate points. I thought though that they could only reallocated it per season per resort. Are you saying that DVC can also move points from resort to resort making one astronomical and leaving point costs at other home resorts minimal? Which although I have plenty of points at BWV I may not be able to stay there?

Freetime-
The points chart being talked about is for the exchange into the "Disney Collection" only. That refers only to non DVC resorts. DVC resort point allocations can not change in totals. They can only be redistributed.

Freetime,

The points in question have to do with the Disney Collection, not DVC resorts. The Disney collection is an option they allow you to have, while the DVC resorts are regulated in the manner you described.

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling"-- Chicken Little

In case you missed it a few days ago, now we can relive the fun and excitement of the rumored decline and fall of the entire timeshare industry as reported on this board.

Film at 11!! :rolleyes:

I probably should wait and see the whole point chart before raising this issue, but here goes.

Nah! Just shoot first and ask question later!

This seems pretty straight forward to me. Disney already has your booking for DVC. It would be better for them if DVC'ers stuck to the accomodations they've already purchased. When you trade out to a Disney hotel that's taking away a room that has been advertised to the public and exchanging for a room that hasn't been. It also increases the burden on DVC to rent that room out for cash while that problem has been removed from the hotel.

Since cash bookings are down across the board life is obviously better for DVC if DVC'ers use the accomodations they purchased rather than swapping out.

Something tells me there is a "hidden" price structure that DVC pays for all trades. Perhaps they have to keep the "dues fees" that are part of the cost to trade. Something just does not add up here, even before the new increases. We are definately missing some key information that is leaving us all wondering. Almost none of the trades would cost per night what we pay for dues only, let alone the hugh investment when you look at what other time shares cost for 1 week and what the points COST for a TRADE with DVC points for 1 week elsewhere. I have friends who have a timeshare in Aruba and they trade every year and get 1 week for 2 weeks in Kissimmee every year. I would think DVC being a sought after location would fetch the same kind of deals, but it doesn't. WHY???? Something tells me the "trade" VALUE of our DVC rooms is a LOT less than the rack rate "cash" only customers pay.

I'm not griping here as I personally bought DVC to enjoy DVC resorts or I would still be staying at the moderates. But I do agree that there is less value, albeit, an opportunity to stay elsewhere, when trading outside of DVC even with other Disney properties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter